Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finish my quiver - What non-fat?

Sup guys -

So, my quiver is now 182 1080 foils, 191 scott p4s and 185 praxis w/ dukes ()

However, I'm 6'4 and 220lbs. I bought the foils a couple of seasons back when I was a shitty skiier. Now they're weak floppy awfulness that I hate skiing on. I genuinely feel like they might snap in half when I ski them aggressively or just bend in half.

So, what 85-90mm twin is good for days when it's a bit too unpleasant to take the P4s out? I'd like to be able to do my CSIAs on them too, so nothing too unconventional really. Not really much option to demo stuff here that I've seen. Twintipped is pretty important as they're gonna be for everyday dicking around, but I'm wondering about Mantras anyway. Maybe Karmas would fit the bill?

Any other suggestions of skis that sound suitable for me appriciated.

Cheers,
    Dave

Glad you got the Praxis. Honestly, skiing where you are, you COULD save the money ski the P4s on harder days and take the money to go on a trip where it's actually SNOWING (to ski praxis...hehe)

That's what I would do but if I was going to buy a 90ish ski, I'de look at Karmas, the new Bridge, Head Mojo 90 (really REALLY good deals to be found...sick ski for a 220 lbs skier)

Line Prophet 90. I have a blast on those things on EC ice/slush/packed powder/whatever. Great all around ski.

K2 PE. Prophet 90. Mojo 90. Mantras aren't twins. IM88 aren't twins either but its a damn nice ski in that range.
    Last edited by tromano; 12-20-2007 at 09:08 PM.

bridge, movement thunder, PE's, movement karma sutras, volkl karmas if you can find them
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

line prophet 90 186cm
    4frnt msp 187cm
    liberty hazmat 186cm
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

the 4frnt MSP187 is a damn fine ski. Its one the stiffest twintip out there and they always go for cheapo at the end of the season.....like all 4frnt skis except EHPs.

Movement Thunder!

Volkl Bridge? Or you might like the Mojo 90's because they come in a 193.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

mojo 90, prophet 90, k2 pe (they ski bigger in the waist than their 85mm indicates), volkl karma... nothing that hasn't been already said.
    "Freeride is just an attitude, to go out in the mountains with no rules and do whatever feels sweet to you at the time." -Chris Davenport

4frnt msps.

K2 PE...My new favorite ski, after my 188 stiff BRO's and ANT's.

Karma, ARV, MSP or Mojo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Elan 888s would be perfect. I know because I have a new pair for sale, cheap.
    Drive slow, homie.

Look at the volkl AC40's. This is not a twin, it is a bit thin at the waist (82) and it is expensive but it rips on hardpack days. I am 6'4" 260lbs and I have last years AC4's. I love them on days when there has been nothing fresh for a couple weeks.
    I also love fernie.

Nordica Jet Fuel. 126-84-112, r20 @ 186 Wood/2 sheets titanal/sidewalls/heeps of glass, system binding (which can be mounted on other flat rides after you choose to dispose of this tank on speed skates)

this ski will whirl your shit into a storm. It arcs ice and replaces my gotama on crud/shallow days.

My only complaint? - it goes way faster than me and it doesn't like putsying around on foggy days.

A little pricier option now-a-days, but Kingswood skinny in "extra" flex for a stiff 86mm waisted Karma-shaped ski with more of a twin that rips on the groomed and handles variable and deep decently as well. My every day east coast ski...
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    get the karma's .... or the wall as they are called now. Wood construction, snappy, rail awesomely on groomers, good enough to do a bit of off piste.

Get them in 185. I have mine mounted +1 and i love them there ....

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.as...rt_nr=70001044

€349 + €20 delivery = €369 = £267 delivered to your door...
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

Another vote for line Prophet 90 or Karma. The Head 88 or Mantra would fit the bill if you didn't care about twins. Maybe even the AC40 if you wanted CSIA crap
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

I have im88's for an all purpose non-fat ski. I demoed them back to back with the Mojo 90's and definitely preferred the 88s - they ski differently. If you want a "normal" ski, go with the 88, if you want a park ski/center mounted ski, go with the 90.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

What I'm most wanting to avoid is the feeling of tips being deflected/smacked away by cut up snow or crud, and lack of stability at speed. I find with my foils that if I try and ski at the speeds I want to, the ski just wont do it and has to be kept on edge just to stop them throwing me off/clattering hard enough to eject.

I figure being heavier is an issue here as well as stiffness, looking at reviews from searching the word seems to be Mojo 90's are light? I know PE's felt like they weighed a ton when I played with them in a shop last year, but not sure if that was the Marker demo rig or the ski.

So far the shortlist feels like:

Karma/Wall
    Mojo 90
    Prophet 90
    K2 PE

Any preference on which is gonna charge/straightline best? I get the feeling asking for this in a twin is a bit awkward, but can't hurt to try...

Thanks for all the advice so far,
    Dave

Mojo would be the one of those in my book, as it'll grip and handle on the firm stuff in the way you'll need them to for the CSIA stuff. However the Karmas are not too far behind.

Though from what you are asking, I wonder if the twin is necessary? Maybe keep the Foils solely for the days of dicking around switch and hitting some rails and then look at the other mentioned - im85/88 or the fischer watea 84 looks/sounds like it'll do it although I've not played with them yet.

Def check out the likes of Elan, Fischer, Blizzard, Head - the company's with less 'glamourous' freeski programs and bigger race backgrounds as they tend to make a ski with those type of characteristics you are looking for.

If you ditch the twin - variations of stockli stormrider series, exploders, Tankers, some of the new Kastle range (maybe???) come into play I'd reckon.

Go see the guys in facewest too - they tend to have some skis that work rather than just what can be skidded around by the 7.5 stone kiddies at the castleford rail night!
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

I got a pair of the K2 PEs on SAC. They're pretty fun to play around on -- I'm sure you would like them. I'm in the same situation as you though. I've been thinking about getting the Volkl Karma/Bridge or Prophet 90.

Edit: I weigh the same as you but am a couple inches shorter.
    Last edited by Crass3000; 12-22-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Blizzard Titan 9.

The 181 is the same length (tip to tail) and very similar dims to the 185 Karma

They also come in a 188 with a slightly wider waist (believe the 181 is 86mm and the 188 is 92mm).

Ripping ski.

I have some 181's that I replaced too short 177 Karmas with last season.

Plus you can track down some on closeout since Blizzard revamped their line-up this season and got rid of the T9.

Seen 'em for as low as $399 and maybe even lower if you search a bit.

Do it!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en