Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Anybody have any condition info on the rubies now? Might be there tomorrow before all the rains.
    did you go? here is a shot from the 12th of january
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscf4122.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	340.7 KB 
ID:	203601
    off your knees Louie

Road is clear to just above TC, per a buddy of mine.

Name:  33072100344_8eb14fafe2_c.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  183.5 KB

You could go to Lake Peak if you get tired of TC. Just one of many mountains with good lines nearby

Anyone skiing here next couple weeks? I am on a ski bum trip from Canada, looking to ski some memorable lines

Ruby Mountains, NV

My first visit in the winter was today. I started in Battle Mountain this morning.
    I arrived to the pullout by T.c.
    parked and jumped out to grab my gear. As I pushed the button to pop my truck it locked my car!
    With both sets of keys inside. I had nothing to get in. I tried to pry my rear window open and it broke in half a second.

So I just left as it was snowing, I was solo, and in a '86 rear wheel drive BMW and on my way to Denver.

Sidetrack, sweet eta.
    Live Free or Die

Anyone been to the yurt on the ridge above conrad creek operated by ruby mountain heli? Thinking about a bachelor party this winter, wondering if it'd be worth it. Seems like it's on the far edge northern edge of the range, wondering if it confines you to part of the rubies that might not have the best skiing.

Looking for other hut / yurt options like this within 6 to 8 hours of Reno (not interested in paying a ton to ski virginia lakes)

Just book a sweet ass cabin at Convict Lake. Cost may be a little more but so will the bells and whistles and the touring terrain is off the hook
    You will have a bar and a five star restaurant to visit if you want

I've toured a bit through convict canyon, hard for me at this point to justify getting a cabin there when I'm used to sleeping in the trailhead parking lot or the caldera. The rock creek winter yurt looked sick, but was crushed by the snow last year. Won't be operating this year.

Stopped in Elko last night and checked out Lamoille Canyon this morning before heading back on the road. Everywhere lower than the end of the canyon doesn’t really have enough coverage but the road is driveable in a Subaru almost to the end. The back bowls have some fun skiing and there’s six inches of soft powder. If you’re passing through right now it’s definitely worth a stop.

Skied this slope:

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	580.3 KB 
ID:	219194

Obligatory TC pic, seems to have a very large mandatory air currently:

Name:	IMG_0673.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	960.1 KB 
ID:	219195

Coverage isn’t great until the end of the road:

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	573.1 KB 
ID:	219196

Ohhhh yeah rubies. Maybe this will be my year
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I've toured a bit through convict canyon, hard for me at this point to justify getting a cabin there when I'm used to sleeping in the trailhead parking lot or the caldera. The rock creek winter yurt looked sick, but was crushed by the snow last year. Won't be operating this year.
    That's how I usually roll too, but to come back to a hot tub, bar and big screen beats the shit out of my camper shell.

And Rock Creek kinda sucks IMO Have you checked the guy at Virginia Lakes hut? Great touring there

I'm thinking of heading to the Rubies this weekend, anyone care to share a quick summary of avy conditions so far this season? I see that a storm came through in September, so I assume there's a buried weak layer causing a low probability/high consequence potential for avalanches. I would love to hear from anyone who has been out and about!

Quote Originally Posted by kbowm View Post
    I'm thinking of heading to the Rubies this weekend, anyone care to share a quick summary of avy conditions so far this season? I see that a storm came through in September, so I assume there's a buried weak layer causing a low probability/high consequence potential for avalanches. I would love to hear from anyone who has been out and about!
    Mike (not a TGR mag) was in the Rubies this past weekend. I am sure he would be happy to provide all the beta for you. You should be able to get in touch with him via IG https://www.instagram.com/hukesnow/ if not let me know and I will try and help via a non social media method.

call ruby mtn heli, they're pretty cool about dishing out beta

Jorions post is depressing. He drove to the end of the canyon?? no good.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Thanks, and interesting that the gate is open. I assumed it would be closed this time of year. Will report back...

Ruby Conditions New Year??

I'm heading out for a ski trip to Utah and then Jackson and Big Sky with my kids (14 - 20) and I'd like to do a tour in the Ruby's on the way to SLC. I don't know much about the Ruby's, other than hearing I "must" ski Lamoille canyon. Any advice about conditions, approach (need for a snowmobile?), etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Feel free to PM me.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndaddy View Post
    I'm heading out for a ski trip to Utah and then Jackson and Big Sky with my kids (14 - 20) and I'd like to do a tour in the Ruby's on the way to SLC. I don't know much about the Ruby's, other than hearing I "must" ski Lamoille canyon. Any advice about conditions, approach (need for a snowmobile?), etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Feel free to PM me.
    Thanks,
    You're prolly gonna be out of luck, snow-wise, this season. And most, actually, afaik.
    There is a maggot, (or two maybe?), that has hit up some wild NV snow.
    Should take a look in Tahoe threads of past season, or 3?? NV-backcountry website dude posts, and will prolly chime in:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Hey guys, heres another blog post up about the Snake Range (not that anyone really gives a shit since this isn't Tahoe).

https://www.nvbackcountry.com/single...or-Road-Skiing

Cheers and happy holidays! Sad to be taking the last two weeks of the year off -but hopefully I'll return to better snow.
    Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^no way the rubies are awesome. typically the less snow there is the further you can drive up the road. there is skiing there every year there is skiing in the wasatch basically (so that's every year). They actually just got several feet and the heli operation is now open (and their FB page is the best place to get snow/avy conditions).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Does anyone have any other access zones for the rubies?
    i've poked around a little but found nothing but private property

i should also point out on a drive down the eastside of the rubies you will end up on a dirt road that skirts the western edge of the ruby lake national wildlife refuge. one evening into full moonish drive through there was the most abundant variety of wildlife I've ever seen I think. highly recommended.

Lamoille Canyon

Anyone have beta on conditions in Lamoille Canyon?

Been out that way in the summers for work and it has a lot of potential. The salt flats keep things dry east facing. That could be pretty awesome. My clients would routinely have feet on the grand at Goshute Mountain across The Valley. I have been up in the rubies in a 4x4 and been shut down by snow in late May.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Behsun View Post
    Anyone have beta on conditions in Lamoille Canyon?
    strong first post. maybe at least read the posts on the page this is on

That nvbackountry site is rad. Mag style tr. I hope wobby gets out more and keeps it going.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?