Does every ski hill has a veteran lifty?

I finally managed to find the December issue of Powder mag (as rare as hens teeth in South Australia). As I flicked through the pages I happened upon a one page article about Richard 'duck' Ducksworth, a 20+ year veteran tram driver from Snowbird.
    This got me to thinking about my old lift bosses from Lake Louise and in particular Michael 'Pops' Stockton. Anybody who has been greeted with one of his signature "BUDAYYYY's" or an "'ata way killah" would atest to the fact he is a "chartacter". One wonders if watching a bullwheel spin for so long sends you insane or is it simply a genetic predisposition? One must admire their love for the mountains and their forttude to work a dead end job for so many years without aspireing to anything more than ski days and dirtbag staff housing. But a small pang of pitty is also in the mix.
    I have heard of other people being caught up for 20+ years working lifts (i have heard tell of a guy at JH who wears a cowboy hat) and I want to hear some stories. Who has one of these people at their local?
    "When the mountains speak, wise men listen" -John Muir

Of course every ski area has a veteran liftie. Ski areas are full of losers.

MF

^^^Dood point. Alot of them become cat drivers and bar workers too.

Dude it's so funny that you mention Mike from the Lake, he was my very first ski coach as I grew up skiing at Lake Louise. So funny that he's still there, he's rad.
    Believe.

Pops is rad, love seeing that guy.

favourite quote from pops on a pow day: "Wish you were at PISSSLLEERR eh!"

Pops is rad (most of the time, working for him can be challenging). He is great value when he's pissed. Too many quotes to note.

Yes, I think so.

Alyeska=Murbs

I wish I had a pic, he fits the classic stereotype, raised upper middle class in anchortown and been working the lifts for 25+ years. I think a healthy dose of the lazy herb and a 12er+ a night of High life keeps him from caring much about more. It almost takes the ski "Bum" to another level, I'm not even sure if he skis much anymore, but I'll bet he's still happy.

MRG lifties of many years:

How about the "Go-go man"!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Slim didn't start at Targhee til 1969, so he's just getting warmed up.

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Bill at smuggs has been there since the dawn of time. I remember him putting me on my first chair on Madonna
    Live

At Butternut Basin in MA, there was a liftie that was there so long, and knew so many people, that when he died, they made a concrete snowman and put it on the side of a trail. Say what you want about lifties (most of it is true), but this guy loved his job and made an impression on a lot of people. Way cool tribute to him. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow and post it next week after some time off.

In Europe, most lifties look like veterans. I'm sure that there are multiple generation lifty families there! Kinda cool actually.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by eblackwelder View Post
    At Butternut Basin in MA, there was a liftie that was there so long, and knew so many people, that when he died, they made a concrete snowman and put it on the side of a trail. Say what you want about lifties (most of it is true), but this guy loved his job and made an impression on a lot of people. Way cool tribute to him. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow and post it next week after some time off.
    yep, he sat there at the mid-station. WHy in the hell Butternut had a mid station is beyond me...but, there he sat.

What was that guy's name?

I remember the cardboard picture of him in the mid-station window...
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Chuck who runs the Great Western lift at Brighton is good peoples. He's been there probably 20+ years, always stoked!
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Bomer (sp) at Bridger is the head lifty and hes got a nice condo and a relaxed lifestyle.

2nded Slim at Targhee. man he's a nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Pops is rad, love seeing that guy.
    Its true. He's taught more people to count to 4 than anyone else in history. Verifiable fact.
    I belong to a cult that believes in wrecking leather jackets, dying themselves purple and demolishing 40 beer.

Eddie - Powders not that hard to find in SA - Borders in Rundle Mall has had every issue so far this year... and it VAGUE not VAUGE. Maybe you should lay off some of that Canadian Pot...

At Breck - Erico on Peak 8. Usually in grumpy mood at the base area superchairs in busy season, but in spring at the bottom of 5 and 7 with the beginner chicas, thats funny shit. And the Park rats who he talks to to distratct them as he steps on their heel piece to pop them out and go up one ski - thats funny shit!!!
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

Quote Originally Posted by jonski View Post
    Powders not that hard to find in SA - Borders in Rundle Mall has had every issue so far this year...
    Thats where I found mine.

Great pops quote: "We're here every day, saving lives and breaking hearts" every time he hits a stop or pulls some gaper into the chair by the scruff of his Dallas cowboys jacket.