Custom footbeds - downstate NY/NJ

Anyone have a good experience getting fit for custom footbeds in the NY metro area? I live in Manhattan but will be with the 'rents in Rockland for about a week or so as well. Do they do this work at Cury's, Ski Barn, Sitzmark, etc?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Anyone have a good experience getting fit for custom footbeds in the NY metro area? I live in Manhattan but will be with the 'rents in Rockland for about a week or so as well. Do they do this work at Cury's, Ski Barn, Sitzmark, etc?
    Thanks in advance

I personally would do this at somewhere in the mtns.....head up to VT or something for a weekend and take care of it then...

Local NY/NJ places wont have as much experience.. a good bootfitter is hard to find and keep.

M

Jeff Rich, in Manhattan, is one of the premiere boot fitters on the planet. Just bring your platinum card.

Kieth - the owner of the pro shop at Hunter - worth the 2 hour drive. Bring a 6 of sam and tell him marc says hi. Kieth is THE man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    Jeff Rich, in Manhattan, is one of the premiere boot fitters on the planet. Just bring your platinum card.
    I got my boots done at Jeff's a while back - like 5 years ago. He was dead on, perfect fit from day two after initial line breakin. Really a great job, but a bit pricey at $180.

Since then I recommended him to another skier, who had a horrible experience with him. Not only did he jack the price up $250+ for beds and fitting, the boots never fit the right way and he was an ass about correcting his work.

So, although my personal experience was great, given the story I heard from my buddy, I would never go to him now. I think going to someone at or near the mountain is the way to go. Spend a day or two skiing and tuning until they are just right.

Blah on Jeff, another one too full of himself. Go see Sean at Pedigree in White Plains. When he couldn't take it anymore he split from Jeff and went out and did it himself. Where do you live because he also does "house calls" but that's not the least expensive way to go. He's really good. I have three different insoles from him, 2 ski and one for my bike shoes.

Without a doubt the only other bootfitter I'd even consider is Keith. Dude is spot on nearly every time and is cool to hang with.

Email sent to the shop. These guys sound legit - just hope the bank account can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Email sent to the shop. These guys sound legit - just hope the bank account can handle it.
    Ugh... you've been warned.

Hopefully you have a better experience than my buddy did.

Quote Originally Posted by vano View Post
    I got my boots done at Jeff's a while back - like 5 years ago. He was dead on, perfect fit from day two after initial line breakin. Really a great job, but a bit pricey at $180.

Since then I recommended him to another skier, who had a horrible experience with him. Not only did he jack the price up $250+ for beds and fitting, the boots never fit the right way and he was an ass about correcting his work.

So, although my personal experience was great, given the story I heard from my buddy, I would never go to him now. I think going to someone at or near the mountain is the way to go. Spend a day or two skiing and tuning until they are just right.
    Hmm. didn't see this post until after the email was sent. If the price and inconsistency is the case perhaps I will be better off somewhere else. Keith sounds good but I likely won't make it up to Hunter for a while. Might end up at pedigree then. Not too far from me.

If you're actually in the city then it's easy. Metro North to White Plains and they are a five minute walk. Call first and see what his schedule is.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    If you're actually in the city then it's easy. Metro North to White Plains and they are a five minute walk. Call first and see what his schedule is.
    Good to know I can walk from the station. Thanks for the help everyone.

Shen...what's up with that? No love?

All kidding aside, go see Tom @ Ski Barn in Paramus. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

As far as skidog's comment on the local shops not having experience, I'd beg to differ. Many of us came from those mountain shops -- and no, I'm not Tom, just another bootfitter who knows good work and attention to detail when he sees it.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Middletown, NY - Frank's custom shoe fitting.
    He specializes in running, but he does ski boots too. He's the best of what I've seen at what he does.

http://www.shoe-fitter.com

Whoa, Steve found TechTalk!
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spdfrk43 View Post
    Whoa, Steve found TechTalk!
    It's included in my rss feed..

(:

-steve

All kidding aside, go see Tom @ Ski Barn in Paramus. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

As far as skidog's comment on the local shops not having experience, I'd beg to differ. Many of us came from those mountain shops -- and no, I'm not Tom, just another bootfitter who knows good work and attention to detail when he sees it.
    Wow, lots of suggestions. Maybe I'll just throw a dart at a map or something. Then again, Ski Barn is damn close to my parent's house, it's where I bought my boots, and my name is Tom too. Looks like the planets are aligning...

i'll second and third keith up in hunter. really good dude, and worth the trip.

I personally would go to heino's ski shop. it's in the town of pequannock, near wayne. they do excellent work. The owner greg is really friendly, and knows his stuff. if you're gonna do it locally and not go upto mountains. He would be the one i'd go to. I've had plenty of work done there before, he's really reasonable in prices. you might have to call before to make an appointment because they get the holiday rush. But it will definitely be worth it. It's one of the few race shops in new jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    It's one of the few race shops in new jersey.
    That's quite a stretch -- no offense to Heino's or any other shops in the area, but there just aren't any shops south of the Catskills that can really be considered "race" shops (stock skis, plug boots, race specific equipment, real tunes, hot boxing, etc, etc).

dumbfuck.

That's quite a stretch -- no offense to Heino's or any other shops in the area, but there just aren't any shops south of the Catskills that can really be considered "race" shops (stock skis, plug boots, race specific equipment, real tunes, hot boxing, etc, etc).
    well thats the "race shop" that all the racers in the area go to, myself included. they don't carry race stock equipment, but are able to order it. always see race stock skis being shipped in and picked up. my point was just that its probably one of the best shops in the area, and as good as a "race" shop in new jersey could be. its no race stock sports, but for new jersey, its pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    well thats the "race shop" that all the racers in the area go to, myself included.
    Stretching more...

dumbfuck.

Anyone else have a good/bad experience with Tom? Just looking for a little more input on this guy before I make the trip.

My Bad, I was just suggesting Manhattan BF's.
    Update:
    Spdfrk43
    Jeff Rich
    GMOL

(Speedy-I will be in VT through Tuesday. Let me know if you are in town!)

My Bad, I was just suggesting Manhattan BF's.
    Update:
    Spdfrk43
    Jeff Rich
    GMOL

(Speedy-I will be in VT through Tuesday. Let me know if you are in town!)
    I do give a sick foot massage if she's hot.

TBone - Tom's awesome, seriously. In addition, SB has a LOT vested in their bootfitting rep and have a certified C.Ped on staff. Seriously, PM me if you want more info, specific references, etc as I know these guys pretty well.

BTW - Greg @ Heino's is good too, didn't mean any of the discussion above to be a knock on him @ all.
    Last edited by Spdfrk43; 06-26-2008 at 04:17 PM.

dumbfuck.

^^^ called Tom, looks like I'm going down to the Barn tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure my dogs will appreciate it.