what do i need to iceland kajak in july with my ma ???

I got diesel 75 so I got the craft and cool paddle what special clothing etc do I need ? I got a long john from ebay.

Iceland? I dunno maybe a drysuit from Palm, or at least a nice drytop, spend as much as you would for a ski shell it will treat you right. Also some fleece layers, and good river shoes.

Thanks a lot.

I'm not sure how cold it is there but I tend to find pogies superior to gloves. When it's real cold I'll stuff my gloves in the neck of my drytop to keep em warm and when I have to carry or spend time w/o the paddle I'll put em on. Get good neoprene ones pogies not fleece line fabric, they soak up water and suck. I like the NRS gloves and the wildwasser pogies.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    I'm not sure how cold it is there but I tend to find pogies superior to gloves. When it's real cold I'll stuff my gloves in the neck of my drytop to keep em warm and when I have to carry or spend time w/o the paddle I'll put em on. Get good neoprene ones pogies not fleece line fabric, they soak up water and suck. I like the NRS gloves and the wildwasser pogies.
    I read 8 ° Celsius.But now I read 3 - 5 °. I think any water packed with icebergs sounds pretty cold and also Vatnajoküll etc the big glaciers are the main feeding force of them.I go with my ma so I want to take no chance as we both want to Kajak.
    I wanted to go at New Years Eve but my ma is not for it as I don´t drive and can´t get the boat to the rivers well.It´s a snow waste now anyhow.
    I jumped into a 200 L basin recently and climbed right out again - my heartbeat was changed till noon.So someone in Iceland just died in the water.I think without proper drysuit there is a risk for my ma if she drops in though it is really never far to the edge of those rivers.Think a minute or so can cause shock or so.Or I am just freaking and me and ma are save with shorts when we go - I think so.

I'm afraid now, don't kill your Ma, I know mine would not survive any swim in any river in the winter. Remember woman scare easier than men, one bad experience for the Ma may ruin her forever on getting in a Kayak. Take her places that are boring for you first, to get her comfortable then slowly start stepping it up. When you do get her on the the water make sure she is comfortable. Comfortable with her abilities on the stretch you are paddling, comfortable layers of fleece, good drysuit and good planning to keep her comfortable.

Going to need one of these to keep your head warm, neoprene is the best way to go.

more

I also don't paddle something hairball or unfamiliar runs without a 3 person party. It's nice to have backup and support if you yard sale on the river.
    Last edited by SuperChief; 12-17-2007 at 02:32 PM.

How we get a third person ?
    I will show my ma your posts, maybe she will help aquire this stuff.Talk to you then.Thanks a lot so far.If you know anything else we did not think about, please tell us.

Third Person, Find someone who knows the paddling runs you want to get on, Preferably someone who's ran it several times and has good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 0BernhardFranz View Post
    though it is really never far to the edge of those rivers.Think a minute or so can cause shock or so.Or I am just freaking and me and ma are save with shorts when we go - I think so.
    Fucking big cold rivers in Iceland dude!

a long john from ebay.

This should do the job; try it:

this is what i got i want to rent another

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    This should do the job; try it:
    does it work ?? where is it ??

iceland

Drysuit is what your ma needs. That is the only thing that will do the trick. The Long John would work for you. There are no rapids in Iceland. There is only flatwater and big waterfalls. Take your ma to that glacial lake east of Reyki, that's a pretty cool paddle. You could do some cool long wilderness runs, super scenic cause there's no trees it's like being on the moon.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    how about a spell check add-on to your post?

Cheers, and have fun in the land of ice.