Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon

Scored a 21-day permit on the Colorado, mid March launch. What should I bring that I might forget on say... a 7-day'er?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

An assload of weed....and Rootskier.

Add Superchief and a shitload of Dales Pale Ale.

1 safety kayaker (who gets shop pro form) named Storm11 and a solar battery charger

A thong drysuit, a Lesbo3000 and FoS.

Seriously, whats the general plan other than you being the mooching kayaker that will shuck all duties associated with rafting?

packing list
    boat
    paddle
    booze
    done

Not to be the downer here but I wouldn't recommend bringing any weed on a GC trip. The rangers are doing pretty thorough checks these days.

If you have an SLR, still bring a small point and shoot camera as well for easy access pics on the river. That is my biggest suggestion.

Also, be aware that everything you bring will be penetrated with very fine grains of sand unless you are extremely careful.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    A thong drysuit, a Lesbo3000 and FoS.

Seriously, whats the general plan other than you being the mooching kayaker that will shuck all duties associated with rafting?
    Not even bringing a hard shell. Just pushing a raft and dragging my IK along for the hell of it.

Nice, BB. Have you heard about the possible big water for 3/08. If you're rowing, make sure to bring an umbrella. I huge tarp/ wing is key for shade and shitty weather. Less is more for clothes, gear, etc. Take care of your hands, feet, and ass. The ipod/XM with the solar charger is key.

Figured it'd be bigish. Tell me more though.

Yeah, if you are rowing the whole time, you might want to get some gloves and put lotion in them for when you are rowing, at least in the flat-water. Otherwise your hands are gonna be in serious pain.

9 trips, rowed 3. Fuck gloves. Do mind the feet. Few cans of pop sure do taste good on the occasional hungover morning. Expect upstream wind and a good flower show.Takene fun attitude, the rest falls in place. And, take herb. Lots. Pm for details if yer concerned.Sounds like
    Camp competition has amped up. Knowing all the camps and chatting the few commercials you'll see can be productive. Thanks for the invite, can't this year.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    Figured it'd be bigish. Tell me more though.
    As a result of contemporary information from scientific monitoring,
    research activities, and stakeholder discussions in the Glen Canyon
    Dam Adaptive Management Program, a 2008 high flow is being proposed.
    The dam release characteristics of such a test would be identical to
    the test conducted in 2004, but under much more highly enriched fine
    sediment conditions, a unique situation during the last 10 years.

This purpose of this test would be to determine the effectiveness of
    rebuilding and reworking sandbar deposits and backwaters in Marble and
    Grand Canyons. The Department of the Interior has concurred with: (1)
    Reclamation's proposal to initiate environmental compliance activities
    on the proposed test; and (2) USGS's proposal to continue planning and
    scheduling scientific monitoring and research activities related to
    the test.

The test is proposed to occur in early March; however, a final
    decision on whether to conduct such a test has not been made. Such a
    decision is currently expected to be made about mid-February 2008,
    only after environmental compliance actions are complete.

If you need additional information, please contact me directly.
    Sincerely,

Jayne Kelleher
    Bureau of Reclamation

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
    VP, GCPBA
    gcpba.org
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcpba/messages

Whats goin on here, fellas.

BakerBoy, when do you launch? I've been invited on a March 11th trip. Absolutely can not wait. We saw RichP's post on the buzz too. I doubt we'll see any of that big water but what a great opportunity to roll through right after one of these controlled floods, if it happens. Not to mention no commerc's, 21days, etc...God I'm gettin a boner right now.

This years starting out strong, going to Baker/Whistler next month and gettin back in time to start packin for the big ditch.....oooo giddy as a schoolgirl here.

Oh and what say you all, bring the drysuits i take it? I'll be kayaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowtorch View Post
    Whats goin on here, fellas.

BakerBoy, when do you launch? I've been invited on a March 11th trip. Absolutely can not wait. We saw RichP's post on the buzz too. I doubt we'll see any of that big water but what a great opportunity to roll through right after one of these controlled floods, if it happens. Not to mention no commerc's, 21days, etc...God I'm gettin a boner right now.

This years starting out strong, going to Baker/Whistler next month and gettin back in time to start packin for the big ditch.....oooo giddy as a schoolgirl here.
    21-dayer, launching March 18th. Maybe we can swap numbers so you can call me and tell me where all the sick new beaches are at.

If I bring a hardshell, would it be better to bring my Kingpin or my creek boat?

Some nice new beaches would be sick for our 2008 international bocce/washers tournament. Hope that flood goes through.

Gotta bring that hardshell! Unless your strapped for room already. I'm definitely bringing the playboat too.

Merry F'in Christmas.

Sounds like we have at least two Screamin Meanies on our April trip [i'm 90% a go, just have to bounce it off the boss lol].

Eleven and a half feet of carving beauty
    Drysuit, yeah, for March I guess. Might toss the drytop in to for warm days...

I was on the tail end of the 2005 Thanksgiving 45,000 cfs flow. Waves in Hermit and Granite were, um, large. Could have almost jumped off the boat onto the ledge at Olo Canyon, where that 15 foot rope is? Crystal...looked just the same. Upset? Had no waves at all, totally washed out...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    If I bring a hardshell, would it be better to bring my Kingpin or my creek boat?
    Kingpin

You're stoked.

Ran it last May, infuggincredible. I have a decent cookbook for the runs and campsites. Shoot me an email and I can shoot it to you if you want(pdf too big for TGR).

Another sweet resource is from RiverMaps, "Guide to the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon; Lees Ferry to South Cove" by Tom Martin and Duwain Whitis. Definitely one of the best guide maps out there, totally waterproof with river mileages laid out on a topo with the text and guides on the opposite page. I would say a must have for privates.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rangers at Lees. Keep it on the DL when you're there. Our ranger gave us the orientation on the sand, didn't have to make the trek up to the station for the video orientation. That was nice.

ProRiver out of Flagstaff set up a bunch of stuff for us and it seems to make the rangers a little more comfortable with privates. Don't know if you need it with a shorter trip. It was money for the full on May trip, we still had ice in a couple of the PR coolers. They set you up with 18 foot Sotars if needed.

Be wary of getting your rig shuttledfrom Lees to Peach Springs, that place is sketch. We shuttled back from the takeout to avoid having our rigs dropped. Expensive and unless your rig gets long range on a tank >400, you'll have to leave a cc or cash for the shuttle driver. That, and the possibility that your rig will come back with an extra 5K on the odometer.

Enjoy, but beware of one item if you're taking a wife\gf\mistress, the procreation powers are strong in that canyon.

KINGPIN, you will not regret a play boat on the run. Make sure your outfitting is comfortable first and it will be no issue. The rapids are big but they are not hard, playboat makes em more fun.

Heh, Assgasorgrass- The procreation powers may be strong but don't forget the breakup powers are down there too.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kayaktheworld View Post
    Heh, Assgasorgrass- don't forget the breakup powers are down there too.
    I thought that was more of a "you don't lose your _____, you just lose your turn"

Bring along a can of some good waterproof lube spray for squeaky oars.

And bring skibuminwyo as well. I'll push rubber while you playboat. Sound like a deal? Oh, and I'll bring beer. Lots.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Looking for a couple experienced rowers to fill spots. Send resume's. Heh.