Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Wow. That's hilarious. Those guys must have more then enough customers to tell a potential customer to fuck off.

Who does that? Horrible CS. The funny thing is that after hearing this, I would never go there to buy anything.

What's that CS saying... every customer you screw over is like losing 20 would-be's?

laughable.

Why is the store named after the Persian God of War?

1500+ page views now. The Interweb can really come back to bite you in the ass when your CS sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Back in the day, I flipped out on an old guy at BSD after bringing in a pair of skis to get some patch work and a basegrind.
    Dude, basegrind? [slim]Ptex![slim]
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I am just dumbfounded, nay SHOCKED, that you actually had not one but two people offer to help you in that store. Everytime I go in there I have to interrupt 3 of the employees hanging out talking about the wicked hard dyno on that one route in "the canyon" or how long of a whipper they took in "eldo" or all the #1 camalots they had to use at "the creek".

Rent yourself a cute girl to go in there with you and the customer service gets much better.

Neptune lost my business about 2 years ago because of attitude. Last year, I gladly took my business to Bent Gate and purchased a pair of Mantras mounted with 21s. No attitude there.

On a side note, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for good customer service.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I just assume all ski shops are like this....
    Not even close. I get awesome treatment from my local shop. Main thing with ski shops is you got to deal with shops in mountain towns. Trying to find good ski shops in the city is too hit or miss. Second, develop a good relationship with one or two long time employees in said shop and only deal with those guys. I only deal with one guy for my mounts, and I won't even drop my skis off if he's not there. Call ahead and bring along their contraband of choice and you're golden.

Hah, pretty entertaining. Never been to the shop, but your general response was definitely warranted. Shop attitude is gat.

Its sucks, especially the history that surrounds that place. 10 Years back when a n00b climber i walked into that place like i was in mecca.

Too bad in a matter of moments i was greeted with attitude. Its a shame because I knew a few people that used to work there, outside of that shop they were cool people, I have never understood the vibe in a place so rooted in climbing history. There are many other shops that have been around that do not have the same vibe. IME in NH for instance is a nice shop and decent vibe and often times is frequented by the hard core.

but Thank goodness for Bent Gate, and the people that work there.

even if you were a punk, its no excuse for a retail establishment, its so bad for business.

you should have said , yes i want a stiff ass boot to shralp the gnar..w00t w00t, got change for a nickel ? FKNA
    Last edited by nurbs; 12-13-2007 at 06:28 PM.

i worked in CS at Backcountry.com...we were told that the amount of money it takes to get a new customer is about 10 times as much as it takes to keep a previous customer.

It is basic business knowledge. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you.

Luckily boulder has enough rich gaper kids moving in to go to school or to just be in boulder and be cool that they've probably learned that keeping real outdoorspeople for cusotmers isnt absolutely neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    i worked in CS at Backcountry.com...we were told that the amount of money it takes to get a new customer is about 10 times as much as it takes to keep a previous customer.

It is basic business knowledge. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you.

Luckily boulder has enough rich gaper kids moving in to go to school or to just be in boulder and be cool that they've probably learned that keeping real outdoorspeople for cusotmers isnt absolutely neccessary.

For real. Same principle applies to Boulder Nazi Deals.

Quote Originally Posted by pointedem View Post
    Wow. That's hilarious. Those guys must have more then enough customers to tell a potential customer to fuck off.

Who does that? Horrible CS. The funny thing is that after hearing this, I would never go there to buy anything.

What's that CS saying... every customer you screw over is like losing 20 would-be's?

laughable.
    2000 thread views... I'm pretty sure they lost more than 20 customers over this
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelf View Post
    and finally a Neptune employee weighs in...
    In with the 9.

Hey Neptune!

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    You escalated the situation and should consider yourself lucky you weren't tasered.

On a more serious note, you said you wanted to try the next size down to see if you needed the shell. Did you shell fit the ones you got or any other boot or any similar shell? Doesn't sound like it. That alone is reason enough to not deal with them.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

I've shopped at Neptune for about 20 years -- other members of my family longer. Even when we moved away, we would stop at Neptunes when we visited family. Collectively, we spent a lot of money there over the years.

Customer service has always been highly variable and, in my experience, it seems to have gotten worse over time. To quote the mrs., "they are always so self important there." Too bad, because they have often had interesting and unique gear items relative to other shops. They have typically done good boot fitting. They have traditionally had the best selection of backcountry ski gear, tele and AT. Their display of ski bindings from the years always entertains me. Back before the age of women's specific gear, Neptune's was one of the few places where my petite wife could find appropriately sized gear, esp. ski demos. The couple of times I met Gary, he seemed like a really good guy. Once in the 80s I even watched a tornado of all things outside the shop with some of the shop employees at that time. There was plenty of good over the years, but the customer service roulette made it less and less interesting to shop there. We no longer shop there.

Sorry to hear your story. It takes two to tango, but it sounds like they blew it in this case. I would have likely gotten mouthy as well if I had ordered something and could see it on a shelf only to get feedback that they don't sell it and why would anyone want such a thing. I would also have gone ballistic if they kept my skis for a couple of days for a mount only to tell me they wouldn't do the mount and retroactively banned me, after I had bought expensive AT boots. Purchasing very expensive ski gear can be stressful, and if there is any reason to buy at a local shop it is to get supportive customer service. Otherwise, screw em.

call bent gate, order the boots get them mounted , they do a respectable boot fitting , take a picture and send it to neptune with a letter, better yet send the letter to garmont.

http://www.bentgate.com/gaaxrabowigl.html

cant believe that happened man. Im really glad the only thing I do at neptune is go in, scrape my skis on their bench, and leave without buying anything. That could have happened to anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Rent yourself a cute girl to go in there with you and the customer service gets much better.
    This works. I sent my wife there to get me some skins, she asked for skids , but the dude obviously thought she was cute cuz he was actually nice. I've talked to dozens of guys in there, but I can only remember one that didn't talk to me with some kind of attitude.

Oh well, fuck em. They don't have anything I can't get somewhere else.

Well, I can't say I'm suprised. Some of the Neptune crew are stand-up, down to earth people. Other's are ego driven asshats.

Gary is definitely a nice guy and as far as I know he isn't in charge of hiring- maybe that is the problem.

Out of curiousity, which manager called you and told you that you were banned?

They do have some pretty poor customer service, and i didnt get a very good mount when I brought in my naxo's in for my brand new ARVs. Also they told my friend they wouldn't trim his skins, even after he offered up beer and $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    er... Neptune Mountaineering has been in Boulder since the early 70s, jong.
    Hey thats my first jong

I lived in Winter Park then 19 years old and they were located in Idaho Springs then too, correct though? I was young lad back then and sorry my post was not factually correct. I moved away from Colorado in 1996.

And if I ever go to Boulder I aint definately going to Neptune cause I heard it here on the TGR forums after that Skiing magazine article showed me how cool this place is.
    Last edited by Sponge McBragg; 12-13-2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: holy crap 4 pages of Neptune bashing

i used to travel several times a year to Boulder on business, and would usually kill some time at neptune and occasionally buy gear.

i don't mind too much that most ski or bike shop employees know less about gear than i do --- at most shops their basic attitude is 'trying to be helpful' so i really can't and don't hold their gear ignorance against them. and typically there's always at least one employee who knows what's going on---just a matter of figuring out who that is.

Neptune, however, was a different story. repeatedly i'd encounter an irritating combination of attitude and ignorance.

to put it in terms maggots can appreciate, imagine a ski shop where the guy tells you 'Markers rule -- they never pre-release' in a tone of voice that implies that he knows everything and you know nothing, despite the fact that what he just said was idiotic in the eyes of 99% of people who pay attention to gear issues. that analogy pretty much summed up most of my NEptune experiences (but usually the discussions were about analog vs digital avy transceivers, etc.)

i deal w/ a couple of bike shops that sometimes cop an attitude, somewhat, but it doesn't really bother me since they have the deep knowledge to back it up. but attitude + ignorance = you will lose my business. I'd have to say Neptune is the only mountaineering shop in OR/WA/UT/CA/CO that has ticked me off in this way.

Seems that whenever the topic of shitty customer service attitude at Neptune comes up, everyone piles on with their story. Almost to the point that 'Neptune Mtneering' brand has come to be equated with 'tude.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I think Gary Neptune has spent to much time in his back yard modeling G STRING bikinis,

Swear to GOD, had friends in Boulder who lived next door when he was out we could not bar-b-Q anything with out puking.

He probly should spend more time in the Shop.