Bluehouse District Review

I finally got out on the Districts on Sunday at Solitude and Tuesday at Brighton. Overall, no complaints. I was really surprised at how nimble these skis were, particularly in the tight trees - no probs at all with cutting around obstacles. I assumed that because of the length it would have been more difficult, but the light weight of the ski seemed to give a quicker response.

All prior reviews of these skis having a lot of "pop" are true. In fact, they made me "send it" a little bigger than I had expected a few times. On the groomers they handled themselves well, and seemed plenty fast.

In the powder they floated much better than previous attempts I have made on other skis (I don't have that much deep powder experience). At Solitude on Sunday the powder was waist deep - a completely new and entirely great experience for me - and the skis ripped it.

Complaints = The top sheets on these skis chipped in several spots without coming into contact with any obstacles. I'm not sure if it was due to the ski flexing alot or what, but the chipping is mostly near the edeges of the skis - particularly in the tails and in the front near the shovel. No issues with the bases though.

Bottom line, these skis are fun.

Got 1 day touring and a few runs at JH this week on mine.

For me, they were a bitch to turn in cut up resort pow...in the trees. They do ski surprisingly well on groomers as long as you don't run into large patches of ice. But, that's no surprise for a soft ski with 105 under foot.

As others have mentioned, they ski a bit stiffer than they feel with a hand flex. The open cut up pow lines were super fun with the Districts!

They are heavier than I'm used to for a touring rig but not bad considering the size. They skied beautifully on both runs...1 40ish degree tree line and 1 35degree wind buffed open bowl. Skiing was on light density snow 3 days after a storm. These things are FUN, especially in untracked snow. They like to turn but can handle speed in deep snow no problem.

My Districts will be seeing a good chunk of the action this year!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinTheDream View Post
    Complaints = The top sheets on these skis chipped in several spots without coming into contact with any obstacles. I'm not sure if it was due to the ski flexing alot or what, but the chipping is mostly near the edeges of the skis - particularly in the tails and in the front near the shovel.
    Any chance you're describing the sort of "chipping" that happens normally when skiing, due to your skis hitting each other as you go through the snow? If you ski bumps or tight trees and get your feet closer together in any other situation, such chipping can and will happen on most every ski, except those that have a metal top edge. My Volkl T-Rocks have some of that sort of chipping, it just "showed up" after spending part of the day making some turns in the bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    Any chance you're describing the sort of "chipping" that happens normally when skiing, due to your skis hitting each other as you go through the snow? If you ski bumps or tight trees and get your feet closer together in any other situation, such chipping can and will happen on most every ski, except those that have a metal top edge. My Volkl T-Rocks have some of that sort of chipping, it just "showed up" after spending part of the day making some turns in the bumps.
    I was thinking the same thing. I noticed this happening on my district's too, but thought it wasn't more than normal wear and tear.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    This seemed to be different. Especially on the tails -- right on the flat end, not the insides. Also, I've never had it happen on other skis. Either way, it wasn't that drastic - just maybe 2-3 places on each ski. Nothing that would effect performance.

I think any sort of topsheet damage is also more noticeable on these because they are white. It's just easier to notice any blemishes and light damage on such a bright surface versus a darker one. That being said, it has been noted by many District owners that the topsheets appear to be prone to damage - time will tell if it turns into a problem.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Granted I've only skied them 2 days and neither was a full day of resort bashing but no problems on mine yet.
    I will give them a better test this weekend.

Thanks for the review, Livin. Glad to hear you're taking advantage of what little snow we've seen in UT thus far.
    Shane
    bluehouseskis.com

hey, congrats on the mention in this month's SKI. I'm happy to be one of the first to have got them for the masses to swoon over.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

Thanks for the review, Livin'. Glad you've been able to take advantage of what little snow we've seen in UT so far. Pray for more!
    Shane
    bluehouseskis.com