Where to ski near Baltimore maryland?

I have to go to Columbia, just outside of Baltimore for a week in mid February for some job training. There was two choices, Maryland or Denver. I put in my request for Denver, but since my boss is an asshole, I know I will end up in Maryland.

So, where can I go for some skiing within a few hours of there? I figured I would extend my trip a little bit by a weekend. I will probably have to drive there, since he is also a cheap bastard, so at least I will have a rental car to use.

WISP

There may be a closer hill but they have decent terrain for this part of the country.

Timberline or Canaan wouldn't be much farther might have better snow

closer is PA - liberty and whitetail mountains (www.skiliberty.com & www.skiwhitetail.com). 7 Springs I hear is good but haven't made it in the 1.5 years i've been here and from what I understand is just as far away as Wisp. Wisp is a *better hill, but don't expect too much from the resorts here

*edit to add Timberline and Canaan also have a little more to offer than liberty/whitetail

Well, heres to hoping they get lots of snow.

I would suggest Blue Knob.

http://www.blueknob.com/

Where do you live that makes Baltimore seem like a ski destination?

I hope you are coming from Miami or Houston or something. Taking a side trip from Baltimore to go skiing is like asking somebody from Cleveland where to surf.

Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

If you brought a wetsuit you might consider waterskiing instead.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
    I hope you are coming from Miami or Houston or something. Taking a side trip from Baltimore to go skiing is like asking somebody from Cleveland where to surf.

not exactly

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/us...983&ei=5087%0A
    I still call it The Jake.

Blue Knob is far away, but kicks ass (for here) if there's Natural snow. They used to have the worst man made snow around, really icy due to wrong air/water mix according to a snowmaker buddy at Liberty.

DO NOT GO TO SKI LIBERTY ON A WEEKEND. PERIOD.

Avoid the Poconos like the plague, they're even more crowded than Liberty.

I'd say if you need to stay within 2 hours of home then go to WhiteTail, the more decent areas of Timberline and Canaan Valley in WV are too far for day-tripping, IMHO. Wisp is about 1/2 the vert of those two and gets the same snowfall, so there's honestly no reason to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Comically enough, that article is exactly what I thought about when writing that. Yes you *can* surf in Cleveland - - - but why bother? If you live there, sure. I live in New Jersey and ski in New Jersey... but if somebody were visiting me here, would I say, "bring your skis!"? Heck no!

If I were looking for the impossible, I would have said... hmmm... Iowa or something.

(and good find on that article... I gave it a cursory search, but to no avail)

I say go down to the aquarium, or the Visionary Arts Museum, or eat a lot of crab, but kiss off skiing for a week.

yea...just go to the aquarium. Don't bring any skis. Not worth it.

When I was little and lived in Baltimore we would drive to Killington, VT. But when I was around 10 we started going to a place called Montage I think around Scranton, PA. But since you will be in Columbia, you may want to head over to West Virginia and try for Snowshoe. Prolly the best in that area. We used to rip Seven Springs, PA and WISP, MD a lot on the evenings in college. Either way you will be driving at least 4 hours to get to something. You may just want to jump on another plane and go somewhere good.

Just pray for Denver.
    A gay-rage full of toys. You can guess em.

Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
    Comically enough, that article is exactly what I thought about when writing that. Yes you *can* surf in Cleveland - - - but why bother? If you live there, sure. I live in New Jersey and ski in New Jersey... but if somebody were visiting me here, would I say, "bring your skis!"? Heck no!

If I were looking for the impossible, I would have said... hmmm... Iowa or something.

(and good find on that article... I gave it a cursory search, but to no avail)
    That's funny, I think it was the first or second result on a google search. I hadn't heard of that particular article but rememberd seeing these nuts out on the lake every December on the nightly news when I lived up there...
    I still call it The Jake.