Page 1224 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 ... LastLast
Results 30,576 to 30,600 of 41265
    Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I’m struggling with the government saying it’s okay for business to open tomorrow where people can’t maintain 6’ separation (retail stores, hair salons, etc.), but we’re still not allowed to drive to recreate >10 miles from our house.

If I fill up my car I’m Denver and drive to a river for a few hours of fly fishing, what is the risk? That I get in an accident on the way?

As someone who was in favor of the strict lockdown early, I’m starting to question the ongoing nature of certain aspects of it. Maybe I’m just tired of being locked in the house with 2 kids under 4...
    I'm guessing the <10mi thing will be amended before too long. I would expect compliance % will be in the single digits by Memorial Day. It certainly does not align with the other restrictions (or lack thereof). Go fish.

duh the traffic on 70 today sucked, not heavy but like busy
    same with 285 this week past week
    a month ago I was driving around with one eye closed stoned and not having to pay any attention little different this past week
    and yeah everyone from the front range is at their second home in summit

please feel free to maintian the 10 mile rule I've been enjoying driving around the state for the past two months until a week ago

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Does anybody here have suggestions for a few good resources that explain how to use the vast array of forecast tools available today? I've used sites like windy, spotwx, etc. to try to get detailed weather data, but in all honesty doubt I'm applying all of the information correctly. For instance, I never remember what models are better for mountain weather, which ones are better for short term forecasting and which ones to use for longer term trends.
    I don't have a great resource per se, but I just suggest reading about the weather every day, making your personal forecast, and then looking at weather stations/getting out there to see if you got it right. Reading joel's blog posts on open snow for years helped me figure things out, but they aren't as good these past few years. Reading the NWS forecast discussion everyday can help with the big picture, too, but there's a steep learning curve to the jargon they use. CAIC has their weather discussion as well (and the WRF models on their site are $$$ for forecasting very localized snow amounts in the mountains and storm timing). For front range specific, Bouldercast has good blog posts as well with in depth discussion on how they came to their conclusions (free weekly post on Monday, paid subscription for daily posts).

To answer your example (snow specific), I like to use ECMWF for 3-5 days out, then start watching the CAIC WRF (comparing both resolutions) for more detail, the whole time watching for trends and agreement between the different models. I like the HRRR 3km as well for high precision, 24hrs out forecasting. That plus all of the above.

Feel free to PM me if you want my own full weather nerd run down.

Joel gratz tells me when to ski

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    I would expect compliance % will be in the single digits by Memorial Day.
    I think compliance is already in the single digits. Ron Mexico, just go enjoy yourself outdoors; there's absolutely no harm in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I think compliance is already in the single digits. Ron Mexico, just go enjoy yourself outdoors; there's absolutely no harm in doing so.
    Just avoid the more popular trailheads and spots, as those have been twice as crowded on weekends, and crowded on weekdays. Agree with your thinking Ron. I’m much more likely to get infected at a grocery or Home Depot in Denver vs driving 50 miles to a more remote trail. Just plan ahead so you don’t stop between your home and your destination and back. And watch the roads - people have been driving worse, if that’s even possible.

Don't go Ron; everyone knows that fly fishing is a contact sport.
    East side of the Sangres is fading fast, snow line is ~10.5K

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4993.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	605.0 KB 
ID:	327928
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 05-09-2020 at 07:54 PM.

How were the crowds in the hills/mountains today?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    How were the crowds in the hills/mountains today?
    6 total people on a certain prominent peak in middle park, so pretty busy

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4993.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	605.0 KB 
ID:	327928
    nice hatch, fall scouting?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    nice hatch, fall scouting?
    Just some R&R time.
    Elk hunting in the Sangres would be a major sufferfest!

Mt Evans will not open until July. Indy Pass also delayed.

Mt Evans will not open until July. Indy Pass also delayed.
    LAME.

Indy Pass also delayed.
    Same with the Maroon Bells.

Today’s the first day I haven’t skied in a month.
    Got out for a short ride, just before the rain.

You can still bike up Indy pass right now right?

Yes, last week it was plowed to Lost Man.

#notweather but figure this thread is as good as any because it gets views.

Blazed a trail through the snow into the N Halfmoon Creek TH Friday night. Crossed the creek with sleds on Saturday AM using a folding ramp (to prevent damage to opposite bank). Left ramp on the west side of the creek for the return, but somebody snaked it in the ~24hrs it was there. Would had to have been a fairly capable vehicle. If anybody knows where I can find the ramp or whose door handles to apply feces to let me know.

if you're on FB, you might try posting in this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/COBackcountry/

sucks. hope it turns up.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

$2,500 per Pali chair. 100 chairs at that price plus $50 just to get on the lottery list.

Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    go upside down.

15 years ago, Vail gave away chairs from the highline lift. Gave them away. The evil empire didn't try to monetize them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

$2,500 per Pali chair. 100 chairs at that price plus $50 just to get on the lottery list.

Sheesh.

Fuck. That.

almost as funny as a couple years ago when some rumor started around town that you could go down to the free lot in town and take one of the rocky mountain or colo super chair chairs sitting in the parking lot
    everyone and there brother cousin and sister was loading chairs up next thing you know vail resort employees are there and the cops trying to stop people from taking the chairs

Full details: https://www.arapahoebasin.com/pallav...05.14.20%20(1)
    File this under "things I didn't know I wanted":
    ... a piece of lift tower to turn into a smoker
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 05-15-2020 at 10:27 AM.

I love that you have to pay $50 to just get into the lottery and that it won’t even be applied to the $2,500 purchase if you win.

And I despise when companies hide behind the ‘we’re donating a portion to charity’ to justify something like charging people just to enter a drawing to buy a $2,500 chair.

go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    15 years ago, Vail gave away chairs from the highline lift. Gave them away. The evil empire didn't try to monetize them.
    I love that you have to pay $50 to just get into the lottery and that it won’t even be applied to the $2,500 purchase if you win.

And I despise when companies hide behind the ‘we’re donating a portion to charity’ to justify something like charging people just to enter a drawing to buy a $2,500 chair.
    rabble rabble rabble!

It's a business selling a very sought-after piece of history. What do you expect?

Regarding weather/conditions, this has been one of the best corn cycles I've seen in a few years. As much as I enjoy a wintery May, it's nice when things transition before the sloppy heat of June.