Page 1195 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 ... LastLast
Results 29,851 to 29,875 of 41143
    https://rockies.craigslist.org/evg/d...073011641.html

Could be an OK gig for someone that was interested in what they had going on. You could "learn to backcountry" for free. I'd ask for a free truckers hat and a steezy puffy.

Jokes aside, this last storm must be huge for this outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Jokes aside, this last storm must be huge for this outfit.
    Maybe they can take some pics that don't show grass poking through the snow.

Drove by there in Sunday, it really doesn't look like a place I want to ski. But if they can get customers, more power to them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Maybe they can take some pics that don't show grass poking through the snow.
    OK, back to the jokes "Backcountry Skiing without Either"

Today was money. Fuck that prevalent Thursday -Friday storm cycle.

Caught the tucker opening just right and oh man was it good. So weird to see it tracked out that quick tho. Fremont 1 didn’t open.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Today was money. Fuck that prevalent Thursday -Friday storm cycle.
    That next cycle scheduled for Friday has been pushed to Monday/Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Perfect timing for Presidents’ Day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Totally Deep just had an interview with one of the Bluebird guys. I'll be curious to see if they can make it happen, but it sounds like there's some demand. I'm on their email list, and just got a big call out for volunteers. I'm sure they're not going to make loads of money, but they seem pretty reliant on volunteer labor for what is, as far as I know, a for-profit entity.

Yeah, I got the call for volunteers too; fuck that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    This warms the cockles of my heart.

A ski guide friend of mine was talking to them about employment...until he asked to get paid. Did they get there WeatherPort built?

You know I kinda like the concept hate to be a stickler but calling it backcountry is stupid. By definition selling a ticket and performing avy mitigation isn’t backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Yeah, it’s just resort skiing without a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Yeah, it’s just resort skiing without a lift.
    You know how many people skin up the ski resorts already? Some even buy passes to do it.

I'm not really their target market, but I can see this kinda business model having some draw. I mean, look at nordic centers. People pay good money to go shuffle themselves around on a golf course. Stranger shit has happened. Give em a few years to figure it out and I bet it has some legs. My wife goes out skinning with her girlfriends on 4wd roads all over the place. I don't get it, but they like the up, and don't care how good the down is. Just trying to stretch the legs, chit-chat, and let the dogs run around.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 02-12-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    You know I kinda like the concept hate to be a stickler but calling it backcountry is stupid. By definition selling a ticket and performing avy mitigation isn’t backcountry.
    If it helps, they're not dropping any bombs this season. Sounds like the "mitigation" involves mostly "evaluation."

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    If it helps, they're not dropping any bombs this season. Sounds like the "mitigation" involves mostly "evaluation."
    ... and terrain selection (< 30 degrees).
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I like the idea and it has bigger potential to do well with the touring crowd but it’s a resort, not backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    You know how many people skin up the ski resorts already? Some even buy passes to do it.

I'm not really their target market, but I can see this kinda business model having some draw. I mean, look at nordic centers. People pay good money to go shuffle themselves around on a golf course. Stranger shit has happened. Give em a few years to figure it out and I bet it has some legs. My wife goes out skinning with her girlfriends on 4wd roads all over the place. I don't get it, but they like the up, and don't care how good the down is. Just trying to stretch the legs, chit-chat, and let the dogs run around.
    Yep.

I know this forum seems to think that the entire ski world revolves around it.... but TGR bros aren't really the target market for these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yep.

I know this forum seems to think that the entire ski world revolves around it.... but TGR bros aren't really the target market for these guys.
    You are inside with the marketing strategy?

So a buddy and I are heading down to Silverton next week. Planning for Thursday guided at Silverton and then three backcountry days on the pass based out of Red Mountain Alpine Lodge.

We thought about booking San Juan Mountain Guides for the first day on Red Mountain Pass given our unfamiliarity with the area and potential complexity of the terrain and snowpack, but the cost seems downright outrageous. Basically ends up being $400/pp.

Thoughts on whether the guide is worth it for our first time in that zone? I have Level 1 and my buddy has some single day courses. It would be great to have someone be able to give us a better feel for everything the zone has to offer, but I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around dropping that kind of coin for a guided day of touring...
    Last edited by RonMexico; 02-12-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    go upside down.

This makes it look like the cost is half that: https://mtnguide.net/trips/skiing-av...e-ski-guiding/

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    You are inside with the marketing strategy?

No. I've discussed the concept with them once very, very early in their process but otherwise have no connection with them at all. I'm neither strongly for or against what they're doing.

I don't think it's hard to figure out who they are marketing to. They're not advertising "avalanche controlled backcountry steeps" or "epic deep powder." They are very clearly gearing towards beginners, people who skin for fitness, and people that just generally want to go for a walk in the woods on skis and not really worry about avalanches.

"This makes it look like the cost is half that: https://mtnguide.net/trips/skiing-av...e-ski-guiding/

What am I missing?"

Those are per person fees.

Their pricing makes no sense to me. The cost per person goes down slightly as you add people, but the total cost goes way up....
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    No. I've discussed the concept with them once very, very early in their process but otherwise have no connection with them at all. I'm neither strongly for or against what they're doing.

I don't think it's hard to figure out who they are marketing to. They're not advertising "avalanche controlled backcountry steeps" or "epic deep powder." They are very clearly gearing towards beginners, people who skin for fitness, and people that just generally want to go for a walk in the woods on skis and not really worry about avalanches.
    Listening to their interview on Totally Deep cleared this up a good bit. They are pretty clear that this first setup isn't for people who want rad avalanche controlled human-powered terrain. Its for people looking for an entry into the sport. The things rad TGR bros want might be in their 10-20 year vision, but they recognize it's a long way away.

Godspeed to them. Doesn't interest me but more people skiing isn't a bad thing.