Page 1555 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 ... LastLast
Results 38,851 to 38,875 of 41143
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Attachment 452790

Dropped the wife off at the Montrose airport this morning the drive back to Gunnison was pretty sketchy. The good news is I am going to play bachelor for the next 5 days and it is dumping at CB. Probably going to get a whole more turns in than honey dos.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I've had a few interesting ski commutes lately with the fluctuating near-freezing temps. Doesn't help that the road surface is falling apart in that god forsaken construction zone.

Powderhorn has an 86" base. The amount of snow on the Grand Mesa is mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Even though I know CB is known for not getting much annual snow, I’m amazed this is only the 5th time ever they’ve crossed 300” on the season.
    Old timers will tell you that it happened a lot in the 80's, but apparently the resort doesn't have records going back that far. Just cracked 100" on the base, too. Can't believe we're closing so soon, but Vail...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Can't believe we're closing so soon, but Vail...
    Didn't you read the article from the GM? They are closing on time for the good of the community.

Maybe this should be in The Slide Zone, I don't know, but posting it here. Crazy story: https://www.durangoherald.com/articl...gatory-resort/

My first job in Colorado was doing front desk and snow removal at one of those condos (they don't say in the article which exact complex it was, but I worked at Angel Haus, a condo complex on that street). Everyone who checked in had to give us a set of their car keys, so we could periodically move the cars away from the building and get up on the roof to try to create the same type of roof-alanches that killed this little girl. That job sucked.

RIP.
    Last edited by Danno; 03-23-2023 at 02:28 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Roofavalanches do kill regularly. This is tragic. Wonder what the lawsuit against the condo's insurance looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Old timers will tell you that it happened a lot in the 80's, but apparently the resort doesn't have records going back that far. Just cracked 100" on the base, too. Can't believe we're closing so soon, but Vail...
    And was skied with less than 70mm underfoot (x207)….whereas short timers can’t ski groomers with anything less than 106 underfoot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1679597148.060801.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	452921

"The older I get, the better I was!"

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

On chair 9 at LL, second chair from the top.
    Person wipes unloading (is Benny in town? ) and must have broken something bad, cause they took about half an hour to get them in the stretcher and rolled away.

The ride previous to that, I counciled two young snowboarders that they needed the loose foot to the rear, not the front in order to get on the lift.

Ride after that, 63 yo guy says his buddy wiped out and wrecked his back.

I'm sure LL trollers were running hard today and won't get a break for a bit.

Snow was ok, nothing like what I got down south Tues, but found some deep pockets.
    Open areas were a bit breakable crusty.

Happy to be alive and skiing.

Skied Loveland recently on a comp. Quite a few spring breakers there and I still just don’t get that place

That 2" new skied well
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

About a foot of fresh in Spaulding Bowl/Copper skied great today. Blew in there real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Maybe this should be in The Slide Zone, I don't know, but posting it here. Crazy story: https://www.durangoherald.com/articl...gatory-resort/

My first job in Colorado was doing front desk and snow removal at one of those condos (they don't say in the article which exact complex it was, but I worked at Angel Haus, a condo complex on that street). Everyone who checked in had to give us a set of their car keys, so we could periodically move the cars away from the building and get up on the roof to try to create the same type of roof-alanches that killed this little girl. That job sucked.

RIP.
    So damn sad. The neighbor's roof avalanched last week and put almost 8' of snow on the ground between our houses. Completely buried my woodpile and all our southern facing 7' tall windows. It was terrifying when it happened but had I been gathering wood at the time who knows if I would be here.

RIP to that poor girl and vibes to the family

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    That 2" new skied well
    Indeed. My 14yo was stoked to get into the SG’s for the first time.

Name:  Image1679632130.985441.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  99.0 KB

RIP to the girl at Purg. So sad.

These storms keep delivering in the northern front range. Love the late start, showing up to and empty trailhead and an untracked bowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpcm; 03-25-2023 at 07:58 PM.

What are the common roof structure characteristics for roofs that can have dangerous avalanches? Like is any roof with an 8/12 pitch or greater not an issue since they shed snow more readily than shallower roofs, etc.?

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    What are the common roof structure characteristics for roofs that can have dangerous avalanches? Like is any roof with an 8/12 pitch or greater not an issue since they shed snow more readily than shallower roofs, etc.?
    With a wet first storm that froze, then snowed more on top with cohesive layers, again and again, many roofs did not release this year that normally would. With a near record snow year, it’s been much like a mountain snowpack that doesn’t release periodically, then runs huge when it does. Manually removing snow and ice dams from dangerous areas was also hard to maintain due to time/timing, costs, labor, frequency, amounts and places for the snow to be moved too.

Check out:

The Trials Of Personal Snow Removal.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=351655

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

My experience is that is most frequently metal roofs with snow guards that have the dangerous slides. It just doesn't seem to happen with shingles even close to as much. The worst are the dried in homes with ice and watershield on. Once you put some temp heat inside and create the sliding surface, boom.

It frustrates me that plan review around here that goes up to 130psf snow load does nothing regarding roof design while stating safety as the reason for made code enforcement issues. I recently worked on a house with 3 10/12 metal roofs shedding onto a deck with three sliders directly under the eves. By March, in a low snow year, the snow was 10 ft. high everywhere.

Its bad enough that I consider it a legitimate job hazard.

I don’t think I have ever felt the need to wax with blue in late March before! Due to colder temps, the excellent snow quality this year keeps on giving.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    My experience is that is most frequently metal roofs with snow guards that have the dangerous slides. It just doesn't seem to happen with shingles even close to as much. The worst are the dried in homes with ice and watershield on. Once you put some temp heat inside and create the sliding surface, boom.

It frustrates me that plan review around here that goes up to 130psf snow load does nothing regarding roof design while stating safety as the reason for made code enforcement issues. I recently worked on a house with 3 10/12 metal roofs shedding onto a deck with three sliders directly under the eves. By March, in a low snow year, the snow was 10 ft. high everywhere.

My shop has metal roof with cleats and heat tape. If you park in the spots that are beneath where it sheds instead of the peaks, you run the risk of a snow load dropping on you car. Had a guy get his entire windshield completely shattered in from a large ice chunk last week. Luckily there's a glass shop in the complex . But it is hard to imagine enough snow building up for it to be an avalanche that would bury a person. Just more frequent potential blunt trauma events.

Thanks for the roof insights Alpinord and Foggy_goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

This was from the initial freeze and ice dam on a 12:12 shingle roof outside my shop. Rarely, the 12:12 shingle roof releases without encouragement. The shop is 6:12, metal and usually releases each storm. This year the entire metal roof froze and also just released.

Name:	Image1679839575.269365.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	453196

Name:	Image1679840224.291305.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	453198

It amazes me how many homes do not have roofs that protect access points and outdoor spaces…..but a lot of this is driven by the owner, not the designer/architect. Many owners want wrap around decks without roofs or porches. And to protect these areas, often requires a roof that adds complexity and valleys to the roof. As I said in the other thread, the Bavarians and Swiss figured it out a long time ago. Simple roofs with no valleys and protected accesses and decks.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Exactly. Get your "architectural complexity" somewhere other that roof design. I've always said that there are some lots I wouldn't build on even if they were free. There is any entire neighborhood outside of Granby with homes on a steep North facing slope. Generally the homes are significantly below the county road. The plow just buries the the driveway. Frequently there is a frozen pond in front to the garage and so on.

I definitely point out shitty roof designs when I'm showing homes. At least that way when they buy the house anyway they tell me later "you warned us".

All the new high end homes here in the RFV seem to have flat or very slightly pitched roofs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My home is neither new nor high end but it’s in the RFV and has a flat roof. Massive pain in the ass especially this year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm no architect or builder but seems there's two ways to look at it. The snow is coming off the roof eventually one way or another so either you build it low angle and strong enough to hold the entire season's snowfall (even in a historic year) or you build it steep enough that it sheds naturally any time it snows ( ideally to a location where it doesn't matter and won't cause risk to life or property).

In other news, Telluride skied just fucking fantastic both days this weekend. Real shame they're closing already and that when rich tourists go skiing rarely coincides with good skiing.