Page 1478 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 ... LastLast
Results 36,926 to 36,950 of 41257
    Here in Grand County, Wendy's starts at $18 for unlimited hours. I'm pretty out of touch with the service side of the economy with one exception. One of my best friends in maintenance manager for a short term rental company. His guys start a $25 and go the $30 real quick with decent benefits. His guys are still leaving because they can't find places to live.

So really we have two problems. The affordable housing problem and the any fucking available housing problem. Even at $1500/ a bedroom there is nothing. It all gets converted to STRs. Out at Smith Creek Crossing the Granby, lot rent for an RV site is $1200 a month except for June, July, & August when it is $2200 month. Its sold out, they are building another 500 spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Not any uglier than, say, this abomination:
    Yes, that is an abomination too.

I like some of the new buildings in Winter Park though. The Rendezvous is cool.

ABasin just announced Pali is done for the season.

Got up for some last day of pali laps when I heard. They had the face and international sides closed already when I got there due to water running through the snowpack. It was some sloppy but fun skiing.

Seems like they could have kept pali going, I know they are having staffing issues in lifts but interesting it closed before beavers.

When Abasin closes Pali, they a very good reason for it. It is avalanche safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    When Abasin closes Pali, they a very good reason for it. It is avalanche safety.
    No shit. That was horrific.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yep. It's a bummer that it closes early, but they've got a damn good reason for it.

I get why Pali closed given conditions and history. But for those more knowledgeable than me,a question: what makes it different than, say, East Wall? Is it the lower elevation?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I get why Pali closed given conditions and history. But for those more knowledgeable than me,a question: what makes it different than, say, East Wall? Is it the lower elevation?
    Elevation, aspect, and they have various sensors in the snowpack and they look at flowmeters, then use their judgment and experience. Reasonable amount of science. They did a lot of work on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

You also don't get that level of water flowing on the East Wall. Almost a different microclimate.

For those that don't remember: https://www.denverpost.com/2005/05/2...53-at-a-basin/

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=128547
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I would imagine, due to the topography, that Pali gets a lot more running water under the snowpack than East Wall. One large bowl vs many chutes.

Wet slabs also typically occur when a PWL first becomes wet/moist, and the northerly aspect of Pali might hold a more pronounced PWL than East Wall.

Convex vs concave, different aspect, more runoff from the flats above, East wall is definitely a lot of avi debris from shedding most of the season too.

I was riding Pali the day before that big wet slide. My board was sinking a foot deep in slush right at the top of the first alley where it slid the next day. Same day I rode the beavers and had to dig the nose of my board out with my avi shovel because it dug in so deep into the slush. It was a weird sloppy ski day for sure.

Thanks for the suite of answers, y'all.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

….
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 05-09-2022 at 06:01 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

One year Patrol rigged the whole face with explosives and got the entire face to slide to the ground after they closed for the season. There is a video out there somewhere it was pretty impressive!

Didn't know about that wet slide on pali face, holy shit. I was mostly saying they could keep the chair open when beavers can't have much more left in it anyways. but whatever, without much of the terrain over there might as well shut it down for the season. Its time to golf and to remember I don't really like mountain biking that much.

Oh boy! More warm WSW winds! Looks like nice weather this week and the winds should mellow out, hopefully.

That slide on Pali really changed the way ski areas think about the safety of even heavily skier compacted slopes once things start to warm up. Many ski areas that stay open late in the year now close steep terrain much earlier to mitigate risk.

One thing I don't quite understand is how a ski area like Beartooth Basin can operate safely so late in the spring and pushing into the summer sometimes with consistent night time temps above freezing for days or weeks. Almost all of their terrain is just as steep if not steeper than the Pali terrain. Are they still operating under the same rules that existed prior to the Pali avalanche and rolling the dice or is there something fundamentally different about their terrain? Was the year of the A-Basin avalanche an atypical year that had all the ingredients for what occurred (with most years being much safer) or when the temps stop dropping to freezing at night, does this same risk exist everywhere with basal facets?

I am not second guessing the professionals that make these difficult decisions on terrain safety, I am just genuinely curious.

No moisture to speak of, but at least it's been windy and dusty AF!

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    One thing I don't quite understand is how a ski area like Beartooth Basin can operate safely so late in the spring and pushing into the summer sometimes with consistent night time temps above freezing for days or weeks. Almost all of their terrain is just as steep if not steeper than the Pali terrain.
    This.....

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Wet slabs also typically occur when a PWL first becomes wet/moist, and the northerly aspect of Pali might hold a more pronounced PWL than East Wall.
    Old's Cool.

Crazy dusty up here this morning and good lord was it ripping windy last night….all weekend really

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Sounds like hot dry and windy for the next 7-10 days according to Seth (his report is the only worthwhile thing on FB). La Nina can fuck off.

Runoff in Clear Creek is cranking
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2826.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	415777

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1652129757.619686.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	415797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1526.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	415798

Got out to Montgomery Bowl this morning. Pretty windy and was snowing hard when we arrived. Sun was starting to come out just as we left. Might have been it for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by GeorgiaSnow; 05-10-2022 at 07:41 AM.

So many trees and brush down on the trails in Eagle yesterday, the wind was fierce. Pedaled by a campsite where someone's tent was only being held down from blowing away by one measly stake so we threw a bunch of rocks inside haha that fucker would've ended up at i70 otherwise.

so it looks like the whoel southwest five state colorado river reagion is dependent on summit county snow melt this year?
    snowpack looks like mid to late june around the state right now but like everything and everyone in summit county we area always above average and have plenty of snow to melt so they can grow cotton in the phoenix area and the front range can water lawns and vegas can have fountains in the middle of the desert

and the fire in new mexico? read that it will be contained in july, so that is the gov't way of saying it will consume everything in it's path and eat itse;f up sometime in july