Page 1544 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 ... LastLast
Results 38,576 to 38,600 of 41142
    17K ppl on the mountain today. I've never seen anything like it in person. There've been lines before but what is happening today is no doubt something special. People were walking *up* Mt. Werner from Meadows lot, many in the roundabouts, traffic was gridlocked, every artery. Delayed openings and lift issues are cherry on top.

I was stuck on Elkhead lift for close to 15 minutes after a few laps this am then got the F outta there.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    17K ppl on the mountain today. I've never seen anything like it in person. There've been lines before but what is happening today is no doubt something special. People were walking *up* Mt. Werner from Meadows lot, many in the roundabouts, traffic was gridlocked, every artery. Delayed openings and lift issues are cherry on top.

I was stuck on Elkhead lift for close to 15 minutes after a few laps this am then got the F outta there.
    Mega passes have/are ruining skiing/riding.
    Edit: on weekends. Skiing with my kid is such a pain in the ass. The resorts are shooting themselves in the foot on so many levels when it comes to future skiers/riders.
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 01-28-2023 at 01:42 PM.

We've been on Ikon for years. Today was...an especially different, extra spicy weekend wanker show. Full stop.

^Any events in town causing that? In Breck we have the ice sculpture contest bringing crowds this weekend but was hoping to hit the boat on Monday to score some of this storm cycle.
    dedicated to the game, player

Damn. Now I feel ok about my maybe 10 minute wait at Pali after lap 2. Which turned to ski on once people spread out, at least until I had to get out of there around 10:30. That rope drop on the face was great and I timed it perfectly.

If it weren’t a crowded Saturday and I had the time I would have loved to have gotten back to zuma, sure that would have skied great without a crust underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Damn. Now I feel ok about my maybe 10 minute wait at Pali after lap 2. Which turned to ski on once people spread out, at least until I had to get out of there around 10:30. That rope drop on the face was great and I timed it perfectly.

If it weren’t a crowded Saturday and I had the time I would have loved to have gotten back to zuma, sure that would have skied great without a crust underneath.
    Sounds like we were on the same schedule this AM, but I did make it out to cornice and was still hitting crust underneath. Pali & Beavers skied better imo, although the trees at bottom of Zuma were super fun when I ran through there after the cornice.

Glad I didn’t stay in Steamboat last night, took my Thursday PM and Friday turns and gtfo

Holy fuck, nearly 18.5k at WP today.

Busiest day ever, literally. The lines at the base were absolutely bonkers.

FFS. If I could only ski on the weekends I'd find another hobby.

Don't know how people do it.

I know people are in denial but the busy is us. In the almost 30 years I've lived in Colorado, the population has grown +50%. Lots of those people like to go skiing, many on the weekends.

For every person that says fuck it!, another one buys a pair of Black Crows jumps in the Outback and gets Mountain-y AF!

The struggle is real but if Lumburg keeps you chained down in the week or you don't want to take the kids outta school, best to just own it. The amazement and outrage got old years ago. Ski or don't ski but quit being surprised about how it all goes down.

Re: WP Today...go early, figure out options beside the Gondi or the SuperGay and it was pretty manageable so so I was told.

Foggy gets it. I was unfortunately stuck at the gondola, but I still got some good runs in.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioIglesias View Post

That’s insanity. I seriously don’t know people have the patience to deal with that either.

Meanwhile, it was a gorgeous day in Denver/Red Rocks until the cold front blew in. Way more relaxing that dealing with that shit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8290.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	541.5 KB 
ID:	444970

I was able to get around by using the less popular lifts pretty well till about 10:30. Then after lunch the lift lines were about normal. But 10:30 - 12:00 there was no escape and everything was mobbed.

Even with all the crowds though as long as you are not going to all the popular spots you can find deep turns all day long. I was still able to find uninterrupted knee deep turns at 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I was able to get around by using the less popular lifts pretty well till about 10:30. Then after lunch the lift lines were about normal. But 10:30 - 12:00 there was no escape and everything was mobbed.

Even with all the crowds though as long as you are not going to all the popular spots you can find deep turns all day long. I was still able to find uninterrupted knee deep turns at 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad to hear you were able to navigate the madness. It really isn't that bad if you know where to go and have more than a sliver of patience/tolerance for lines, and the Jerrys generally stick to the groomers.

I suppose my rant should come with a disclaimer that I'm a jaded AF local who has worked in resort ops for nearly 20 years. We LOVE to bitch about the crowds while we are simultaneously aware that those same crowds provide our job security.

The growth of this place is still crazy, but you can't turn back the clock, so Foggy is spot-on in his comments.

Today sucked. I saw lots of cars in a nice organized line from a distance

was out skiing breck from 11:30 til 3 and Tbar had a decent line til the end. Imperial empty tho with the low vis. In any case, deepest day of the year here for sure. Just silly deep in a lot of spots.

Glad to hear you were able to navigate the madness. It really isn't that bad if you know where to go and have more than a sliver of patience/tolerance for lines, and the Jerrys generally stick to the groomers.

I suppose my rant should come with a disclaimer that I'm a jaded AF local who has worked in resort ops for nearly 20 years. We LOVE to bitch about the crowds while we are simultaneously aware that those same crowds provide our job security.

The growth of this place is still crazy, but you can't turn back the clock, so Foggy is spot-on in his comments.
    I was done with the crowds and switched to touring to get away from them in the early 2000s. The thought of a 2003 crowd or traffic being bad seems quaint now. Once I had kids and they started skiing that was not really an option anymore. I learned to chill out and navigate the mountain better.

Jeez guys, cut me some slack. I get it completely. Point is, I really didn't think it could get any worse than it has been past few years. I was wrong. Every pow weekend the crowd just gets...more aggressive/intense (?). Not sure of term to use. Yet they are dumber, less self-aware at the same time. Still whiplash/revenge travel from Covid? No idea. After 30 years in CO, I expect many changes including growth but not to this degree of mass tourism. I don't know how else to describe it and how people roll over and accept this as just what life is about. I met day-trippers from Denver and Foco today. Really? Drive past pow to ski pow? Sheeple.

Thankfully, we've had a plethora of weekday pow skiing this season, and I've logged some awesome tours when it's been safe to venture out of the flat zone; my cup runneth over. Some sunshine in the forecast for more than 12 hours is looking real nice, too, gotta be honest with that one.

This shit sounds terrible embrace the suck love the suck don't be part of the suck

Totally bummer today popped outa the woods finally saw other people 2 hrs later lucky for me they were pretty girls and the third was a buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Jeez guys, cut me some slack. I get it completely. Point is, I really didn't think it could get any worse than it has been past few years. I was wrong. Every pow weekend the crowd just gets...more aggressive/intense (?). Not sure of term to use. Yet they are dumber, less self-aware at the same time...
    I knew it was gonna be f'd when the knoll lot was 1/2 full at 0630 when I rolled in for work. Yesterday's gridlock around the mountain sounded ridiculous. Workers couldn't get to work on time. Once overflow is full people just park wherever they can. Condolands, Central Park, Downtown. Definitely one of the busiest days ever. It was amazing how many people I talked to came up from Denver, Boulder, even a guy from CSprings who said that Steamboat is basically in his backyard...what a mindset...Seems like there's 1-2 weekend days like this a season the past 5 years or so where crowds are north of 16k. The boat can't handle that many skiers. It'll probably become more common too with the whole 8 billion plus people moving around the world these days.

Did the Challenger Iron Horse alternative pan out? A short hike to I H seems to beat the line out of the maze a lot of days.

Still stellar skiing in Breck today. Lines went from 100 to 0 right at noon which was sweet. gotta "beat the traffic"

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    gotta "be traffic"
    ftfy.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Went out this weekend in search of the deep stuff and found it. ULLR!

Name:	IMG_5147.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	921.1 KB 
ID:	445218

Name:	IMG_5151.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	786.0 KB 
ID:	445221

Name:	IMG_5148.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	805.5 KB 
ID:	445219

Name:	IMG_5154.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	672.5 KB 
ID:	445220

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Old's Cool.

Amazeballs
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I don't think I waited in line for even 5 minutes at WP yesterday. Maybe once or twice. Walk-on empty gondolas at 2pm.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Yesterday was nice here at WP. 5k+ fewer skiers compared to Sat. certainly helped.

Today's gonna be even better, puking out there, nobody here.

Today is day 50 since a delayed start to my season on 11/25. Legs are starting to feel strong, endurance is coming along.