Page 1000 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 ... LastLast
Results 24,976 to 25,000 of 41261
    Speaking of radios, comms, etc...

Had a rescue in our district a few weeks ago. Turned into an epic long day near Rollin's Pass...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_gmX4f8un0NnCILUl.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	740.5 KB 
ID:	228124

https://medium.com/@darrenks314/darr...e-5f9f39b618b2

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Check out any of the steep gullies?
    #4. Excellent once you get in. Also loving the Beavers. Kind of wish they’d leave it as is and no lift next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Sweet a new gondi just like the gondi that is already there.

Unofficial WP: The Zepher is going in the garage because it is...garbage...to be replaced with another Poma which will most likely be...garbage.

But is doesn't matter because nobody will ride it because everyone hates parking at the Park Side. #bringbackthebusloop.

Is there another ski resort where the "free parking" involves waiting for a bus, getting on a lift, then a 10 minute walk? #poachthewillieshuttle
    Breck used to be. Until they made the free parking lots pay...Haven't skied there since.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I can deal with the bus and even the lift but it annoys me to no end that every resort makes you walk through their stupid fucking village to get on the chairlift.
    That's why grocery stores put the milk and eggs at the back of the store...

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It appears the Texans have found ABasin. Big crowds down low. Empty Pali of course. And amazing new terrain. Really sick.
    They probably got sick of having to grab their ankles at the VR ticket booths:

Keystone 3-day pass = $462
    Breck 3-day pass = $492
    Abasin 3-day pass = $169

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Speaking of radios, comms, etc...

Had a rescue in our district a few weeks ago. Turned into an epic long day near Rollin's Pass...

Name:	0_gmX4f8un0NnCILUl.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	740.5 KB 
ID:	228124

https://medium.com/@darrenks314/darr...e-5f9f39b618b2
    Was the intended line following the route his buddy took? That's a good report, I've definitely had friends take that seems like too little gear in case we have to spend time out.

Makes me realize I don't have a good idea for making a sled from skis. Is the idea that getting stabbed by bindings is better than being stuck out for the night?

Some guy on the lift at ABasin said the window price right now for a day at Vail is $199??! That is just laughable. $199 to ski during one of their worse years ever. Amazes me people pay that.

speaking of rape at the ticket window ....

I'm going to meet some visiting friends at Breck for a day. Anyplace I can turn to for discounted tix?
    Also, I know nothing of skiing Breck nor where are the goods. I'd appreciate any tips on where to avoid, where to def hit as to not REALLY regret this.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post

I'm going to meet some visiting friends at Breck for a day. Anyplace I can turn to for discounted tix?
    Also, I know nothing of skiing Breck nor where are the goods. I'd appreciate any tips on where to avoid, where to def hit as to not REALLY regret this.
    Hopefully this will be during the week?

If it's a weekend - abandon all hope.

Thanks.
    Just stay high up. Hike for some turns.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Makes me realize I don't have a good idea for making a sled from skis. Is the idea that getting stabbed by bindings is better than being stuck out for the night?
    Here is a decent one-page write up from BCA.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Improvised sleds aren't going to get anywhere fast or far... add slope, tech, or deep and its doubly true.

It is more of a tool to get a short distance out of shitty exposure, or if you have a lot of people.

Right the right tools and a purpose made sled/litter, you can do some impressive stuff with 2-3 trained people... but it is still not very fast and is definitely tiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Improvised sleds aren't going to get anywhere fast or far... add slope, tech, or deep and its doubly true.

It is more of a tool to get a short distance out of shitty exposure, or if you have a lot of people.

Right the right tools and a purpose made sled/litter, you can do some impressive stuff with 2-3 trained people... but it is still not very fast and is definitely tiring.
    This is a rescue sled and shelter. It seems like a lot of extra weight for the occassional bc user, but for heading further-out it would make sense.
    http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/products/sledkit.html

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    anyone familiar with spring touring options near fort collins? (rmnp, indian peaks,?)

have an opportunity to get out that way in early may and hoping to find something worth skiing not TOO far from ftco. any advice on where to look?
    You probably want to be up around lake agnes on Cameron pass or up high in the park. A search should probably yield some solid results.

Thanks.
    I have a half off voucher you could use, lemme know

20”+ in Boston today. Man, could we use that here.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    This is a rescue sled and shelter. It seems like a lot of extra weight for the occassional bc user, but for heading further-out it would make sense.
    http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/products/sledkit.html
    23 OZ and $250CAD is definitely not cheap and light...

10oz $75 8x10 silnylon tarp with loops
    https://www.amazon.com/Sanctuary-Sil...ods&th=1&psc=1

12oz $15 5x7 grommeted heat reflective tarp (I have one of these)
    https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdo...emergency+tarp

15oz $80 Ortovox 2 person bivy
    https://www.amazon.com/Ortovox-Unise.../dp/B076DG2JM8

9oz $30 1 person thermal bivy (I have one of these)
    http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com...mal-bivvy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    23 OZ and $250CAD is definitely not cheap and light...

9oz $30 1 person thermal bivy (I have one of these)
    http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com...mal-bivvy.html
    Agreed, the AT tarp is heavy and pricey for something you hope to never use. I usually carry the SOL with me and now will always carry it after reading that rescue story.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Agreed, the AT tarp is heavy and pricey for something you hope to never use. I usually carry the SOL with me and now will always carry it after reading that rescue story.
    I usually carry one extra down top over what I think I'll need for the day PLUS THESE:

12oz $300 down pants with FULL SIDE ZIPS (I have these)
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com.../flight-pants/

18oz $225 primaloft pants with FULL SIDE ZIPS
    https://rab.equipment/us/mens/pants/photon-pants

You add the down top and pants plus that bivy in your improvised shelter or slit trench, and you'll live the night. The other thing about that those down pants is that you can get them on without removing boots when you are cold...

OR WHEN SOMEONE HAS A BROKEN LEG...

Which is a strong reason to make sure if you intend to use a bivy on an injured person, that it can be unzipped most of the way, or you will be cutting it and taping it closed... which is OK too. Doesn't work so well with pants.

I always carry the Western Mountaineering VBL/bivy, but probably should carry other stuff too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Breck used to be. Until they made the free parking lots pay...Haven't skied there since.
    Uhhh there is still free lots at breck and you can either take the bus to gondola which drops you directly at the lifts or take the bus directly to the base of peak 9.

What are you saying ?

Thanks.
    Anybody with an Epic Local pass has 6 buddy passes that are $120. You could probably ask around and find someone who will give you that discount... I would do it for you if I was there.

If you are going during the weekend it will probably be pretty crowded, although last weekend was surprisingly uncrowded. Weekdays are no problem at all.

Breck has fantastic terrain above treeline. The Tbar / Imperial Express / 6 chair provides some great options. Usually I lap the Tbar (Lulus/Horseshoe / contest bowl) to 6 chair to Imperial and ski down peak 7 bowl which drops you back at the base of the Tbar again. It is easy to lap the Tbar and imperial all day this way and stay entertained. Peak 7 bowl from the top of imperial offers some of the longest steep lines that I have skied inbounds in Colorado.

The lake chutes are hike to terrain off imperial and offer some of the most challenging terrain in summit county. If conditions are good you should definitely hike to the lake chutes.

It is also worth considering some of the hike to terrain off peak 6 (kensho superchair). the six senses terrain is pretty good as well, although not as steep as the lake chutes.

Basically just lap imperial, 6 chair, the Tbar and Peak 6 (kensho superchair)

I love breck and have really started to appreciate it this season. They also have the best coverage right now in summit county as far as I can tell.

#skychutes
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    #skychutes
    If you’re gonna go the sidecountry route, peak 5 is skiing much better than sky chutes

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    If you’re gonna go the sidecountry route, peak 5 is skiing much better than sky chutes
    Yes

Name:	IMG_3733.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	783.9 KB 
ID:	228209