Page 1230 of 1230 FirstFirst ... 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230
Results 30,726 to 30,737 of 30737
  1. #30726
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,487
    I'm driving my 5 year old down to New Mexico next weekend so he can hang out with his cousins for a week. We're thinking about camping and hiking somewhere along the way in Southeast CO. A bunch of parks are just starting to allow camping and reservations are hard to come by. I think some popular first-come-first-serve spots may be tough as well, especially since we'd be showing up on Saturday, probably sometime after lunch. I really don't want to spend a bunch of time looking for a backup plan with an impatient kid.

    Any recommendations for a campground or a nice dispersed camping spot near a kid friendly hike that might work? I know he can handle 6-7 miles and 1250 vert. A little more would probably be fine since we'll be in no hurry. Thanks.

  2. #30727
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,993
    Southeast Colorado? Where exactly? Or did you mean southwest?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  3. #30728
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,487
    Meeting my brother in law in Raton to hand off the kid. Was thinking south of Pueblo and east of 285. Would rather not add too much extra driving.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #30729
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,993
    There's Trinidad Reservoir that has camping (but don't know availability). The new state park, Fisher's peak, I don't think is open yet. There may be some good stuff up near La Veta Pass, but there's little skiing and little people there, so might not be much knowledge here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  5. #30730
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    gnArvada
    Posts
    3,103
    New Steamboat master plan is quite interesting. Base to summit gondola FTW!
    Pioneer Ridge expansion was scheduled for this summer, not sure if COVID has postponed it.


  6. #30731
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    tree OH TREE!!!!!
    Posts
    3,442
    ^^^ interesting, did not know. had to look it up on google earth to check the terrain. looks like a service road goes to where base of lift would be?? not sure.

  7. #30732
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,187
    I got snowed on briefly in the Gore Wilderness on Saturday...

  8. #30733
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    gnArvada
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    ^^^ interesting, did not know. had to look it up on google earth to check the terrain. looks like a service road goes to where base of lift would be?? not sure.
    I think you're right. That north facing terrain into Fish Creek will nice and steep!

  9. #30734
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,579
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I think you're right. That north facing terrain into Fish Creek will nice and steep!
    I forsee lots more people spending the night lost out in Fish Creek.

  10. #30735
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81
    Anyone know if Parnassus/Drainpipe is still filled in with sufficient snow? Wondering if that's an early July possibility.
    In return, some IPW beta...
    - Jasper good - snow lion, various runs and patches off its south and middle flanks, furthest north basin still lots of snow (basin south of Neva & Dorothy); on the return, there's still 500' vert of skiable vert on the skiers right side above the pond (below east end of flank)
    - Skywalker pretty melted out at bottom but still full snow and wide enough to the top; heard secondhand that prob a week or so left
    - Brainard area - looks like road opens tmrw (July 1) with the gate open at 6am, 1030, 12 and 130 till lot above fills to 80% capacity; or park in lower lot and bike in!
    - Anyone gotten eyes on North Star on N Arapahoe?
    Thx

  11. #30736
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    7,325
    Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    Anyone know if Parnassus/Drainpipe is still filled in with sufficient snow? Wondering if that's an early July possibility.
    In return, some IPW beta...
    - Jasper good - snow lion, various runs and patches off its south and middle flanks, furthest north basin still lots of snow (basin south of Neva & Dorothy); on the return, there's still 500' vert of skiable vert on the skiers right side above the pond (below east end of flank)
    - Skywalker pretty melted out at bottom but still full snow and wide enough to the top; heard secondhand that prob a week or so left
    - Brainard area - looks like road opens tmrw (July 1) with the gate open at 6am, 1030, 12 and 130 till lot above fills to 80% capacity; or park in lower lot and bike in!
    - Anyone gotten eyes on North Star on N Arapahoe?
    Thx
    So with Brainard, say it hits 80% by 7am and stays that way all day. Does that mean they’re not letting in anyone else?

  12. #30737
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    So with Brainard, say it hits 80% by 7am and stays that way all day. Does that mean they’re not letting in anyone else?
    Not totally clear, but that's my guess. Here's the link (scroll down to current conditions) - https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/...a/?recid=28182
    I'm guessing they'll have someone up at the lot radioing back to the gate, or monitor once "full" based on cars leaving. Alot of folks do just walk around the lake and leave.
    Also FYI, for Hessie/4th of July, they have a sheriffs officer parked in road at Ned HS that asks folks where they're headed and turns them around if Hessie or 4th trailhead parking is full - at least on the weekends. Actually pretty helpful

Similar Threads

  1. Up to the Minute Colorado Backcountry Weather Conditions
    By AzureAbyss in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 10:16 PM
  2. anti jinx, anti jinx, anti jinx thread
    By Benny Profane in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:34 PM
  3. The Colorado crew STOKE thread.
    By Blurred Elevens in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 11:16 PM
  4. a REPLY without a thread...
    By Endlessseason in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 08:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •