Page 1235 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 ... LastLast
Results 30,851 to 30,875 of 41287
    Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    The coming rock/mudslides will be all time I'm afraid. Buckle up for the long haul on common I70 closures
    It's going to be so bad this next fall/winter/spring.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Yes. Maybe an I70 reroute is in order?
    People on the Grizzly Creek Fire Facebook page were talking about how before I-70 was built through Glenwood Canyon there was talk of putting it over Cottonwood Pass (the Glenwood to Gypsum Cottonwood Pass, not the more famous BV to Taylor Park Cottonwood Pass).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    It's going to be so bad this next fall/winter/spring.

People on the Grizzly Creek Fire Facebook page were talking about how before I-70 was built through Glenwood Canyon there was talk of putting it over Cottonwood Pass (the Glenwood to Gypsum Cottonwood Pass, not the more famous BV to Taylor Park Cottonwood Pass).
    interesting..... never been over that pass, must have been something compelling to skip that and build in a narrow, cliff hung canyon. would that pass be more difficult than vail pass in winter?

Rough estimate, a reroute over Cottonwood adds 15-20 miles from Gypsum to Glenwood.
    Good luck getting it past the environmentalists.
    I-70 was also proposed to go under Red-Buffalo Pass in the Gore at one point.

EDIT: Hanging Lake is OK! Photo from 9 news:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57cca222-d2a9-4589-87ef-5a8098f96d5a_1920x1080.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	337728
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 08-20-2020 at 01:54 PM.

My understanding is that cottonwood pass was passed up due to unstable soils but who knows.
    I rigged my own air purifiers using box fans and 20x20 furnace filters. Let's me open everything up in the morning to cool off, then shut it down when it gets hot and run the fans to clean the air in the house. Thinking about an AC or swamp cooler option as it's still too damn hot.

Just paving cottonwood and widening in a few key spots would at least make it a viable alternative when the canyon shuts down. Not that I want that. It sure is a nicer backcountry route to the roaring fork side and drifting the corners is fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Just paving cottonwood and widening in a few key spots would at least make it a viable alternative when the canyon shuts down. Not that I want that. It sure is a nicer backcountry route to the roaring fork side and drifting the corners is fun too.
    Luckily the residents along the road will fight most improvements tooth and nail. Most of them live up along it because it's not a viable alternative. When you consider the frequency with which the canyon temporarily closes or is down to one lane in the winter, paving that road would mean a huge increase in traffic.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Rough estimate, a reroute over Cottonwood adds 15-20 miles from Gypsum to Glenwood.
    Good luck getting it past the environmentalists.
    I-70 was also proposed to go under Red-Buffalo Pass in the Gore at one point.

EDIT: Hanging Lake is OK! Photo from 9 news:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57cca222-d2a9-4589-87ef-5a8098f96d5a_1920x1080.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	337728
    Do an environmental trade. No highway in a gorgeous scenic canyon for a new highway over Cottonwood or other. A cleaner, tranquil CO river should trump any resistance.

That canyon is going to landslide down this winter/spring.

Anyone else in Denver waking up with headaches in the AM? Even running a HEPA filter overnight in the bedroom I still wake up feeling like shit.

Tunnel would seem the best option. Not necessarily a good option, but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mdblows View Post
    Anyone else in Denver waking up with headaches in the AM? Even running a HEPA filter overnight in the bedroom I still wake up feeling like shit.
    Yes. Some days are mild but I’ve had two bad ones this week that felt like migraines.

Yes. Some days are mild but I’ve had two bad ones this week that felt like migraines.
    Me too, but I just assumed they were hangovers. I do keep waking up thinking that I've finally got the virus, only to hack up a lung and realize that it was the fires.

With all due respect to CA and their turmoil, looks like we might get whomped with their smoke.

https://twitter.com/nwsboulder/statu...129018369?s=21

Saw a pic of smoke also tracking south getting caught up in the remnants of that hurricane and was swirling still at a good clip. Wild.

The smoke overlay on the opensummit (summer version of opensnow) map is a pretty cool feature. Has a future outlook animation and has been pretty accurate so far, good for planning when to go ride or whatever. You do have to have the all access account though.

That looks crazy. Most of the west covered.
    And then look at the temperatures one. Just baking. But I see a temp drop next weekend on regular weather app.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    With all due respect to CA and their turmoil, looks like we might get whomped with their smoke.

https://twitter.com/nwsboulder/statu...129018369?s=21
    That shows Colorado doesn't bear the brunt of the smoke, doesn't it?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Trestle is on, no shit, an injury hold. Trails have been open and closed all day. I saw at least 5 10-50s. It was absolutely bonkers here. I've never seen crowds like this. Many Huge groups of 10 and 20 riding together. Trail conditions are approaching Keystone. Still fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Trestle is on, no shit, an injury hold. Trails have been open and closed all day. I saw at least 5 10-50s. It was absolutely bonkers here. I've never seen crowds like this. Many Huge groups of 10 and 20 riding together. Trail conditions are approaching Keystone. Still fun...
    Open and closed all day because of injuries or too must crowding?

Open and closed all day because of injuries or too must crowding?
    Injuries.

I saw 6 people down personally. As I left two ambulances were leaving 7milemc

Most carnage I've seen since 36 hours of Keystone
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Snowmass’s bike park and town in general, have been eerily quite today.

Mostly due to the smoke and possibly the tourist wave is subsiding.

We’ve been fairly lucky on the smoke front. Usually the AQI has been below 50, but this morning it was 80 and has held steady all day.

Busy AF in Summit today, despite being the second day of the worst smoke I remember seeing here in over 20 years. Still got 40+ miles on single track on the motorcycle, but a low grade headache the whole time.

Got rained on for a half hour on my moto ride. It felt amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Got rained on for a half hour on my moto ride. It felt amazing.
    It rained the other day on my way home from work for maybe 10min tops. I rolled all the windows down and almost drove home with my head out the window like goddamn dog.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Stiff SE wind. I don't experience that very often.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Busy AF in Summit today, despite being the second day of the worst smoke I remember seeing here in over 20 years. Still got 40+ miles on single track on the motorcycle, but a low grade headache the whole time.
    Interesting. I was down on the front range and drove back up late-ish afternoon and traffic appeared to be pretty light east bound. Who knows anymore.