Page 1225 of 1650 FirstFirst ... 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 ... LastLast
Results 30,601 to 30,625 of 41247
    Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife View Post
    rabble rabble rabble!
    It's a business selling a very sought-after piece of history. What do you expect?
    Loveland sold Chair 1 and Chair 2 triple chairs for $400 a piece.
    I understand that Chair 1 at loveland isn't as historic as Pali, but they could have gotten a lot more particularly for the chair 1 chairs, but they chose not to.

This is akin to music acts scalping their own concert tickets. Sure you could, but it just makes you look greedy.

yes, the corn cycle has kicked ass this year.

$50 doesn't even count toward the $2500.... oh yea and $150 in tax.

That chair has personal meaning beyond ski memories, first date with my wife. She is pissed because she wanted one, but not at anything near that price. We assumed free entry and $400 like Love did.

I guess Pali chairs will only adorn the (third) homes of the 1%. More likely, they have misread the market and won't even sell 100 tickets. I sincerely doubt they are going to raise the $250K in chair sales they imagine, not even if the economy wasn't in shambles. But they won't care. Why not sell 25 at $2500 then announce a new raffle with a lower price? Maybe because it is a kick in the pants to long time abasin skiers... but I dont think Al cares. He has a budget to make up for since he is replacing 2 lifts in a crappy economy.

Honestly it would make more sense to just have people bid (with a credit card submitted) and take the top 100 bids (if the card goes through).

I want to know what they are going to do for the Double Down passholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife View Post
    rabble rabble rabble!

It's a business selling a very sought-after piece of history. What do you expect?
    I agree, but then just deliver the message as such, rather than softening it by mentioning donations to charity while charging $2,500/chair. They seem to be doing everything they can to keep up the facade of their small local's mountain vibe, when some of their recent decisions say otherwise.

Edit to add - really it's a bummer that they just priced 99% of their long-term customers out of the opportunity to own one of these chairs. People who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars at the resort over the years and for whom owning one of these would be pretty special.
    Last edited by RonMexico; 05-15-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I agree, but then just deliver the message as such, rather than softening it by mentioning donations to charity while charging $2,500/chair. They seem to be doing everything they can to keep up the facade of their small local's mountain vibe, when some of their recent decisions say otherwise.
    Dundee Resort Development LLC, doing business as "Arapahoe Basin Ski Area," annual revenue $27million, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Dream Unlimited Corporation, a publicly traded $9 billion international real estate development corporation. Core local values bruh!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Even the evil empire, Vail, put all the money from last year's sale of Twister and Teocalli chairs at CB to non-profits. Again, Pali is an iconic lift, but still...

In other news, skiing on high N faces has been sweet, I'm not on the corn skiing train yet.

A portion goes to charity, but they don't say how much. And of course even if it was something like 50% (fat chance), they get the tax deduction and not you.

I get that they're a business making money, and that Pali is "historic" whatever that means, but it still seems like a huge overreach. That said, I have a lift chair from a less historic old lift (that I got for free from evil Vail), so I am not in the market regardless. So I really don't care, I'm just spouting off on the internet (rabble rabble rabble!).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm buying one if I can. $2500 is pretty steep, but I saw a Pali trail sign go for that at auction.
    Whatever, I've spent a million hours on that lift. It'll be nice to spend some more on my deck with that annoying center bar poking into my spine! I have a few trail signs to hang above it too.

A bit more transparency would be appreciated. Course I don’t even have 250 to spend on it nor a place to put it so I guess not my circus. Would be awesome to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Looks hot as shit next week. Big melt coming.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post

Edit to add - really it's a bummer that they just priced 99% of their long-term customers out of the opportunity to own one of these chairs. People who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars at the resort over the years and for whom owning one of these would be pretty special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Dundee Resort Development LLC, doing business as "Arapahoe Basin Ski Area," annual revenue $27million, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Dream Unlimited Corporation, a publicly traded $9 billion international real estate development corporation. Core local values bruh!

We assumed free entry and $400 like Love did.
    Yeah, like I said. What did you expect? Big business, no different than any other. They do provide a good product so I'm alright with them making money and being successful. I hope the rest of the ski industry fares as well.

Don't get me wrong. I want and deserve one of those chairs as much as any of you posers but definitely can't justify forking out $50 right now, let alone 2500. Oh well. I've got the memories, and the terrain isn't getting replaced. Hopefully some of the truly worthy people get a chair. You know who they are.

Anyone have any recent photos/beta of the north face of Grizzly off Loveland Pass? I'd like to know if the hourglass couloir is "in" this year.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Anyone have any recent photos/beta of the north face of Grizzly off Loveland Pass? I'd like to know if the hourglass couloir is "in" this year.
    Looked down it on Saturday. Pretty thin this year. Could def still do some skiing though.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    Looked down it on Saturday. Pretty thin this year. Could def still do some skiing though.
    Thanks! Good to know. Better get out there quick then. We didn't have those nice sticky spring storms to fill in the steep, rocky high alpine lines this year.

Thanks! Good to know. Better get out there quick then. We didn't have those nice sticky spring storms to fill in the steep, rocky high alpine lines this year.
    Always fascinating to see how things stack up. This year seemed particularly windy, plus springtime was pretty dry as you point out.

Consistently inconsistent between years and certain areas of the mountains. The chase to find the spots is frustrating and exciting as well.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

While we didn’t have the snowfall of last season. I thought this year was the most consistent year I’ve experienced in over 40 years.

It started snowing just before Thanksgiving and was really soft right up to March 15th. We didn’t have the the big dumps. But it snowed 3-4” every 2-3 days, all season.
    It never got baked until March and we never had an extended high pressure spell until after the lifts closed, which was perfect for spring touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    While we didn’t have the snowfall of last season. I thought this year was the most consistent year I’ve experienced in over 40 years.

It started snowing just before Thanksgiving and was really soft right up to March 15th. We didn’t have the the big dumps. But it snowed 3-4” every 2-3 days, all season.
    It never got baked until March and we never had an extended high pressure spell until after the lifts closed, which was perfect for spring touring.
    It was exactly how I like it, great snow during the actual winter season then dry in the spring for early biking haha

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

Agreed. Add in the lack of dust this year and its as good as it gets. I just wish there was a bit of a longer timeline. The snow is going FAST this year.

Agreed. Add in the lack of dust this year and its as good as it gets. I just wish there was a bit of a longer timeline. The snow is going FAST this year.
    With all this wind, kind of surprising the lack of dust. Or did we already past dust season? Usually problem dust comes much earlier.

I was taught that our corn crushing dust was a product of Moab’s Jeep Week, but that was from old tree hugging, Jeep hating telemarkers. So maybe biased?

The corn and coverage were great yesterday. Plans fell apart last minute, so I found myself solo and skied James via St Mary’s with 500 of my closest friends. Though there was solitude in the approach, there were quite a few groups on the summit and shoulder behind me. Word is that Starlight courier off the East was full of rock debris and an unpleasant climb. St Marys lower snow field was like a public park and the parking lot was full at 10:45 when I left for home. And I was worried that the parking lot would be COVID closed on the drive up.

Just saw the ABasin webcam...High Noon is already looking very thin. Not sure it’s even worth ABasin’s effort to reopen for what, a week?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9406.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	329513

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Just saw the ABasin webcam...High Noon is already looking very thin. Not sure it’s even worth ABasin’s effort to reopen for what, a week?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9406.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	329513
    They usually open the top runs off Lenawee late in the season, and High noon is reserved for just getting to the bottom. Some years they download on the lift.

Does anyone know if clear creek and gilpin counties are still closed to non-res - or better said, are like ruby gulch and/or moffat trailheads still closed? The county websites seem to say so, but have heard conflicting info.
    Good to see RMNP phased re-opening on 5/27. It's not totally clear how "phased" but presumably gates and trailheads will be open, and phasing on campgrounds and shuttle buses.
    And FYI, the road into the Snowys (WY) opened last week and conditions pretty great, except for big ass cornices on most of the aggressive couliors.

Basin reopens Wednesday 5/27!
    https://www.arapahoebasin.com/may27-reopening/

Yeah, just a really good, consistent season but the heat wave that started in late April was crazy. Might be a tough year for agriculture and fires. I think the lack of big spring storms was the deciding factor for the lack of dust. I have at least a few more weeks of skiing in me, at least until it gets suncupped and runneled. So far, so good.