Page 1251 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 ... LastLast
Results 31,251 to 31,275 of 41276
    Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    fire bans really don't do shit, and unfortunately, it's not just tourists. last summer (or the year before, I can't remember) I was camping way up in the backcountry in an area that tourists don't seem to know about and it requires a high clearance 4x4 with a locking diff to reach. I passed a few folks on the way up, all CO plates. There was a full state fire ban on. I was freezing my ass off even with down and base layers on, but didn't build a fire. From my high alpine campsite, I could see 4 or 5 fires on the road I had driven to get there, and one group was shooting fireworks. infuriating.

That said, I'm not rich and don't have a sprinter or some portable camping heater. If I'm camping and if there's no fire ban on, I'm 100% going to have a fire, and it's not because of instagram. It's warm and nice and gives me something to do before bed. It also seems to calm my dog down at night, for some reason. She gets really antsy and stressed after dark without, unless she's in the car. But I'm also not building fires in straw fields or where the wind might blow the sparks into one.

anyway, hope some precip helps a bit with the fires. and ya know, some snow so we can ski.
    Propane campfires aren't crazy expensive and are worth every penny in a fire ban. It is also possible that some of those fires you saw were propane. In August I was at a campground and fires weren't allowed, and when I walked up the road a bit and looked down at our site, it sure looked like we had a campfire.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    Im flying into Denver on sat and heading over to Montrose then back to Denver on Monday evening what kind of shitshow will I be in for on the way back? Or will that be over Sunday evening?
    A little far out to know the forecast. But Monday is bound to be better than Sunday. The roads may not be great, it may be a shitshow, but it likely won't be an epic shitshow.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^Yep. Have a feeling those will be the new normal. They're pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You'll probably want to just stay at the airport for the duration.
    Sounds like a plan...I would rather be coming to go skiing not just along to spend $$$

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Propane campfires aren't crazy expensive and are worth every penny in a fire ban. It is also possible that some of those fires you saw were propane. In August I was at a campground and fires weren't allowed, and when I walked up the road a bit and looked down at our site, it sure looked like we had a campfire.
    I saw the fire rings in the morning on the way out. There were definitely real fires. and real fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I saw the fire rings in the morning on the way out. There were definitely real fires. and real fireworks.
    You were #trippinballz ?

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    ^^Yep. Have a feeling those will be the new normal. They're pretty great.
    Used ours a few time this summer/fall. Will be put in the van for ski lots use as well.

Im flying into Denver on sat and heading over to Montrose then back to Denver on Monday evening what kind of shitshow will I be in for on the way back? Or will that be over Sunday evening?
    I think you'll be fine, but just check before you leave Montrose that 70 is open/not a shit show. If it is you can go the other way (50-->285), the roads may not be any better but less likely to be a shitshow if slideoffs, boats, and rvs.

I agree to make sure and check google maps before leaving. But from Montrose, I think 50/285 is a little faster than I-70 under normal conditions.

I don't understand.

E troublesome going on a run this afternoon. Pretty scary trajectory...view from Granby about an hour agoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0061.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	700.0 KB 
ID:	344354

Troublesome smoke from SW metro...

Guessing you're renting a car at the airport? You should be fine. If I were you, I'd spring for the fun Camaro/Mustang RWD option and take the scenic route over the high passes.

But seriously, hope for the best and expect the worst.

Have you looked into just flying into GJT?

Flights are really cheap and you’d save a shitload of windshield time.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Troublesome smoke from SW metro...
    We're sitting right under the southern edge of that (I live in Niwot), and it was crazy to see the skies tonight. To the south it was crystal clear blue, and to the north it looks like a huge storm... but it's all smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

This. It is a really long drive. Beautiful though. 285 to 50 is probably the best to avoid traffic and more scenic depending on how many thousands of times you have been across 70. 70 is way less intense and more cruise control friendly but risk of traffic clusterfuck is much higher.

Hell, take the car rental money and put it into a puddle jumper into Montrose. That’s a long drive.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife View Post
    Guessing you're renting a car at the airport? You should be fine. If I were you, I'd spring for the fun Camaro/Mustang RWD option and take the scenic route over the high passes.

But seriously, hope for the best and expect the worst.
    Yeah thats the plan.. Looked into those options but Enterprise quoted $600 for a Charger R/T... ended up getting a Jetta then saw the forecast chance of snow so I spent $1.19 to upgrade to a Wrangler. Rented a Mustang GT last summer in Vegas for 39 a day.. quite fun ripping down to Hoover Dam and Nelson ledges!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

Didn't look into GJT but did into Montrose and my flight, hotel, and rental were the same as one ticket into there..

The better half has an interview so I'm just tagging along to see if we both like the area and if we should decide to move if she gets an offer... I plan on driving around town looking for someplace to rent and see what I can find.

A little far out to know the forecast. But Monday is bound to be better than Sunday. The roads may not be great, it may be a shitshow, but it likely won't be an epic shitshow.
    Thats what i was hoping to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I think you'll be fine, but just check before you leave Montrose that 70 is open/not a shit show. If it is you can go the other way (50-->285), the roads may not be any better but less likely to be a shitshow if slideoffs, boats, and rvs.
    Will do!

I agree to make sure and check google maps before leaving. But from Montrose, I think 50/285 is a little faster than I-70 under normal conditions.
    Didn't know that way was faster it does appear to be 30 miles shorter! I will keep that in mind!

Lake Granby this afternoon. My buddy had to evacuate shortly afterwards

Name:  Image1603338378.269743.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  124.5 KB

EDIT: Sounds like the fire is already past Columbine Lake and burning into RMNP
    https://twitter.com/NWSBoulder
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GreatWinter2017
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 10-21-2020 at 10:23 PM.

E Troublesome smoke from Boulder tonight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7019.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	344364

Name:  122461409_10158521179793956_5004305460924555606_n.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  50.1 KB
    Old's Cool.

listened to the radio... its hard knowing many of the calls... and harder hearing someone using a garden hose to save his house refusing to evac
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I'm not a firefighter, I'm not on the front lines of anything, and I'm so freaking tired of fire after fire after fire. Grand Junction, Glenwood, Cameron, Williams Fork, Calwood, Lefthand, Troublesome. Snow can't come soon enough.

Vibes to all the people directly affected.

As much as I like to joke about the I70 traffic, my hearts go out to that real shit show and the people in it. I saw that Dan Gibbs was even in it. I've know that guy when he was just making the man he is. Holy fuck that takes some balls. Those crews. Damn .

I distinctly remember standing out from a pool hall in Boulder that I came up from underneath and watched a fire take down my elk hunt. That was 20 years ago. I can't tell you how many days I've spent cleaning my head in the Jamestown general store to get away from the crap down in Boulder. Ward too. I was a welcome denizen there very much. I don't even smoke weed.

But this one, jebus, I really hope everyone is just safe. I just really hope everyone is alive.

As I get older, I just want people to live.

I'm not a firefighter, I'm not on the front lines of anything, and I'm so freaking tired of fire after fire after fire. Grand Junction, Glenwood, Cameron, Williams Fork, Calwood, Lefthand, Troublesome. Snow can't come soon enough.

Vibes to all the people directly affected.
    Yup. I feel for all my friends on the front lines. The burn out is real this year.