Page 1182 of 1201 FirstFirst ... 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 ... LastLast
Results 29,526 to 29,550 of 30002
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Where do they store the moguls in the summer?
    Don't be a gaper. There are no moguls at A-basin, there are only speedbumps.

Heading to the Estin Hut this weekend. Looking at the CAIC website, it's hard to tell exactly which zone the hut is in (it's hard to zero in on the map, but as best I can tell it's fairly close to the junction of the Aspen, Vail, and Sawatch zones). I have been to this hut a number of times, so I will more than likely just rely on our groups' own experiences and observations. But I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience finding one zone forecast more applicable than the others with respect to this hut.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Random post: older people at Winter Park/MJ are super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Heading to the Estin Hut this weekend. Looking at the CAIC website, it's hard to tell exactly which zone the hut is in (it's hard to zero in on the map, but as best I can tell it's fairly close to the junction of the Aspen, Vail, and Sawatch zones). I have been to this hut a number of times, so I will more than likely just rely on our groups' own experiences and observations. But I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience finding one zone forecast more applicable than the others with respect to this hut.
    I have not been to that hut, however when in similar situations, I always read the forecasts for every zone that might be applicable, paying special attention to details about specific parts of the zone that might apply more to the area I'm going to be traveling in. For example, for Estin hut's location, I'd be looking if they say anything about the eastern parts of the Aspen zone, or west side of Vail/Summit, or northern Sawatch in particular. Or, if you know that the area you're going to be traveling in typically gets less snow than the rest of the zone (ie northern Sawatch typically gets less snow than the central Elk) then I'll note anything in the forecast that talks about "thinner snowpack areas" because that probably applies (like the forecasts right now).

I imagine you know all this, just posting for the benefit of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I've heard they plant saplings on all the runs in the summer too. Really helps keep the snow from sliding off the mountain and improves the skier experience.
    Only on Rambo. Which is funny cause itís true.

Also, a moment to acknowledge an exceptional run of posts. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I have not been to that hut, however when in similar situations, I always read the forecasts for every zone that might be applicable, paying special attention to details about specific parts of the zone that might apply more to the area I'm going to be traveling in. For example, for Estin hut's location, I'd be looking if they say anything about the eastern parts of the Aspen zone, or west side of Vail/Summit, or northern Sawatch in particular. Or, if you know that the area you're going to be traveling in typically gets less snow than the rest of the zone (ie northern Sawatch typically gets less snow than the central Elk) then I'll note anything in the forecast that talks about "thinner snowpack areas" because that probably applies (like the forecasts right now).

I imagine you know all this, just posting for the benefit of others.
    Thanks. That's already what I do (look at all 3 reports) but I don't have enough specialized knowledge of the area to know about stuff like its snowpack relative to the rest of the zone.

And you need to get to that hut, it's a really good one.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Thanks. That's already what I do (look at all 3 reports) but I don't have enough specialized knowledge of the area to know about stuff like its snowpack relative to the rest of the zone.

just got back from estin hut over nye. snowpack was surprisngly thin on south aspects (ie below hut) and west aspects (ie prospect). didn't dig any pits cuz we kept the angle low and kept to S/W aspects. got about 1.5' while there so things were skiing well by the end of the stay. should be good for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Usually, but sometimes they can be total dicks. Got a story? Obligatory: hey we should all try to get together and ski sometime, seems like there are quite a few of us these days. Sunday afternoons?

Peter Estin Hut is a special place. It's right on the edge of the zone, like you said. It could go either way. I always enjoyed touring out towards Gold Dust and Fool's Peak. Such awesome views up there! Have fun man!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgovernor View Post
    Which places? Would be good to know where to avoid. Please don't say pali...
    "Rock Garden"
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Peter Estin Hut is a special place. It's right on the edge of the zone, like you said. It could go either way. I always enjoyed touring out towards Gold Dust and Fool's Peak. Such awesome views up there! Have fun man!
    While Gold Dust is a can't get there from here, you could follow the ridge to Fool's summit. Wouldn't touch any of the real lines off of there right now, although the south facing shots off of Charles Peak should be holding nicely. As for the snowpack, the forecast for both zones will be essentially the same this weekend, and the loading patterns on N - NE - E are almost identical. Either rose forecast with the lingering problems of wind slab and persistent weak layer will be present on those slopes. If I had to choose only one to receive, I'd chuck it in the Aspen zone as the area sees a little less NW flow than the rest of the Vail/Summit zone.

Have fun. For the approach to ski value metric, it's one of the best ones in the system.

Thanks for advice y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

Have fun. For the approach to ski value metric, it's one of the best ones in the system.
    Sure enough. I have some north facing trees in my future.

While Gold Dust is a can't get there from here, you could follow the ridge to Fool's summit. Wouldn't touch any of the real lines off of there right now, although the south facing shots off of Charles Peak should be holding nicely.

For the approach to ski value metric, it's one of the best ones in the system.
    ^^^
    Well said. Best bang for your buck IMHO. Gorgeous hut. Easy approach. Great skiing options. What more could you ask for.

Enjoy Danno!

My dad just turned 73. He skis WP every single day. I like to think youíre talking about him, and not the Ski Miesters.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Sunday afternoons?
    Iíll be out this afternoon. I think you know where to find me.

While Gold Dust is a can't get there from here, you could follow the ridge to Fool's summit. Wouldn't touch any of the real lines off of there right now, although the south facing shots off of Charles Peak should be holding nicely. As for the snowpack, the forecast for both zones will be essentially the same this weekend, and the loading patterns on N - NE - E are almost identical. Either rose forecast with the lingering problems of wind slab and persistent weak layer will be present on those slopes. If I had to choose only one to receive, I'd chuck it in the Aspen zone as the area sees a little less NW flow than the rest of the Vail/Summit zone.

I'll second this. Our director was up there with family last weekend and said the skiing was great, but I haven't pumped him for more specifics because the skiing is always great at Estin. And yes because it's on the edge of the zone it can be hard to pinpoint. I actually think it tends to track with the rest of the Vail Zone "generally" but it really depends on the storms approach. It can get pounded with the rest of the Aspen zone on many storms but with a more northerly/northwest flow it pulls more snow from storms than the rest of the Aspen zone farther south. Have fun, it's one of my favorite huts.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Iíll be out this afternoon. I think you know where to find me.
    Underoos skiing MJ on a Thursday, quelle surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I'll second this. Our director was up there with family last weekend and said the skiing was great, but I haven't pumped him for more specifics because the skiing is always great at Estin. And yes because it's on the edge of the zone it can be hard to pinpoint. I actually think it tends to track with the rest of the Vail Zone "generally" but it really depends on the storms approach. It can get pounded with the rest of the Aspen zone on many storms but with a more northerly/northwest flow it pulls more snow from storms than the rest of the Aspen zone farther south. Have fun, it's one of my favorite huts.
    thanks, figured you'd have some good insight.

not my experience. Had some geezer take a swing at me last year because I "skied too close to him". Also have seen several fist fights between old people in the lift lines at MJ.

Ever read the opinion column of a newspaper? It is constantly old guys fighting with each other over petty shit. I can't wait for that generation to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Ever read the opinion column of a newspaper? It is constantly old guys fighting with each other over petty shit. I can't wait for that generation to disappear.
    And then your generation will be the cranky old fucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    not my experience. Had some geezer take a swing at me last year because I "skied too close to him". Also have seen several fist fights between old people in the lift lines at MJ.
    wtf? have skied at MJ a few hundred days over the years and never seen a fistfight, between old people or young people. I call shenanigans.

Underoos skiing MJ on a Thursday, quelle surprise!
    I wouldnít call it skiing, but I am here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1436.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	309879

I think it's time to let the ridiculing commence. I think we may have critical mass for an Eldora mini-summit. I've discussed this in some fashion with quite a few mags now, so we should try and find a date before the season gets away from us.

Hawkgt, Jong Laffite, beece, cdubski, the no-longer-posting hatchgreenchile, are all people I've directly or indirectly talked to, who else?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    And then your generation will be the cranky old fucks
    My generation got weed legalized and craft beer to the masses. We will be just fine