Page 1481 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 ... LastLast
Results 37,001 to 37,025 of 41265
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The Jane is skiing well if anyone's curious. Needle's Eye just worked me.

Guessing next weekend will be it, based on the bare patches.
    Not sure why in needs to be a secret. Next Sunday the 22nd is the closing day. I enjoyed myself this afternoon also. That't gotta be about the most mellow place on the planet. #Keep Winter Park Lame

Any recent pics of snow in front range? Prob calling it a season unless we get a refresh around here

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Notchtop skied great yesterday

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

First bluebird day with what looks to be minimal wind. It's so nice to have both at the same time!

We did hit Kelso today. It does go from the top according to the people ahead of us, but the main gully doesn't go to the top, you have to piece it together. We stopped a little below the top because it was getting pretty soft. We dropped maybe 10:30. The upper part would have been better earlier, but the people who dropped earlier had to deal with the rock hard lower gully, which softened for us.

I booted the whole thing, but I get the crampon recommendation; if it hadn't softened up at the top we would have had to walk on the rock. My buddies skinned most of the middle part.

It was exactly what we were looking for, and a great day out on the snow.

Name:  IMG_20220515_143221.jpeg
Views: 531
Size:  41.6 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220515_143213.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	416452Name:  IMG_20220515_143141.jpeg
Views: 543
Size:  44.9 KBName:  IMG_20220515_143133.jpeg
Views: 533
Size:  59.5 KB
    Last edited by Danno; 05-15-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

skied the basin today and things are melting fast. think that might have been my last day riding lifts for the season

If June 5 is the goal, I'd be surprised if they made it.
    Nice spring mush today, but I'm hanging them up as well.

Got out at A-Basin yesterday for the first time in 5/6 years. It was a nice capstone to a two week trip that had me traveling to Wisconsin in 90 degree heat w/70% humidity. So awesome to ride lifts this time of year no matter what the conditions look like and yesterday was primo mash taters.

I have a feeling that's my last day of the season too. Cheers to the season ya'll!

Mary Jane was practically vacant of people yesterday. Even if there’s enough snow, I don’t see why they were open

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I love it.

Years ago, it was always a complaint, why do the ski areas all close when they still have great snow? Obviously, it was $, but for those of us who weren't done with skiing, it always sucked that the option was pretty much ABasin and Loveland (the latter only until the beginning of May). How great is it that now we get to ski on our pass at a variety of resorts until, ya know, there isn't enough snow to make it reasonable to do so?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I love it.
    Years ago, it was always a complaint, why do the ski areas all close when they still have great snow?
    Because to the majority of skiers, it's not great snow at all.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Skied the Basin today. My gut tells me they’ll pull the plug on Mem Day….it’s going fast. Felt great to be out this morning in a tee and shorts before the storm clouds came in.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Because to the majority of skiers, it's not great snow at all.
    Disagree. These are the same skiers who crowd the slopes when it's a WROD, with really shitty snow. They stop skiing because they're ready for winter to be over, to ride bikes and play golf and whatever. There's plenty of powder in April, and great coverage everywhere. Resorts closed mid April because the only people still wanting to ski had passes and didn't bring in big vacation money. People may not be skiing *now* because they don't like mashed potatoes skiing, but that isn't really why resorts were closing the second week of April 10 or 15 years ago; I don't think it had to do with snow quality.

Regardless of why, I didn't post to argue about why (though this is the internet), I posted to celebrate the fact that more resorts are now extending their seasons, and that's a great thing.

Regardless of why, I didn't post to argue about why (though this is the internet), I posted to celebrate the fact that more resorts are now extending their seasons, and that's a great thing.
    Agree with this.

It also keeps the Basin less crowded!

When peak offseason blues hit, I'd be down for prolonged bickering
    People hang it up when surface conditions start to go, and that is a factor every year from mid-March on.
    In doing so, they miss alot of great riding, but I get why it happens!

If they (Abasin) can make enough money to stay open and not be on a major pass, then bring on the revival of spring skiing! I remember spring skiing being much more popular 20 years ago. Seems like it just faded out over the years. I say bring that shit back, if they have enough snow that is.

Personally though, I don't have the time or motivation to get out right now. Hopefully I can get one more sunny awesome ski day in and maybe hit lake reveal. We will see. haha

We also just really didn't have the dust that is so prevalent these years. If I made it through and entire season with 2 acl's I don't want to risk fucking up my summer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I think I bit part the the decline in popularity of spring skiing is fat skis. 20 years ago, a lot of people couldn't ski pow so spring conditions were as good as it gets. But ultimately I think it has to do with the traditional ski vacation season being over and people have spring fever.

Mostly I just love that there is no offseason. It would suck to live somewhere where the ski area closes early and winter keeps going. People get grumpy.

I skied Mary Jane today, and it was fun -- and worthwhile -- and I'll probably do it again in a couple of days. But there weren't many people there. Most of the time there were numerous empty chairs between riders. I hope WP/MJ keeps trying extended spring openings in the future, before climate change takes away any possibility of it.

I agree that most skiers are ready for something else at this time of year, e.g., golf or MTB. Although A-Basin and MJ don't have much terrain open now, it is still a much better offering than early season. Today, Sterling Way was my favorite run, and you sure don't get that early season.
    Last edited by andy m; 05-16-2022 at 09:37 PM.

They don’t have much terrain open now but that just changed this past week. Last week, Upper East Wall was still open at the Basin. On a low snow year there.

Breck was a real good time for closing day, Sunday. The lack of wind was simply amazing. Couldn't believe how chill it was as well, goes to show it's true whoever said above about spring skiing not being as popular anymore.

Was also nice camping the last two days without any wind.

I really don't agree that spring skiing isn't as popular anymore. 15 years ago, on May 16, only ABasin would be open. This year, we had the Basin, the Jane, and Breck. So even if spring skiing was more popular, you spread those skiers out across three destinations and all will look less crowded than just ABasin. Not to mention that backcountry skiing has EXPLODED in popularity, there are way more people out skiing then used to be the case.

I don't think anything has changed. As soon as it gets to 70 and sunny on the front range, most people stop being interested in skiing. That has always been true for the 22 years I have lived on the front range.

We should definitely analyze this for a few more pages. Very important stuff.

so, snow this weekend huh?