Page 1355 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 ... LastLast
Results 33,851 to 33,875 of 41289
    Forest Service temporary closing some popular dispersed camping areas:

Forest Service targets five areas for dispersed camping closures

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – (May 13, 2021) Five undeveloped areas on the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forest will be temporarily closed to camping while the Forest explores more sustainable ways to manage these areas. While “dispersed” camping is generally allowed across most of the National Forest, it can have severe impacts, especially when occurring within 100 feet of streams.

Outside of developed campgrounds last summer, National Forest visitors created thousands of new campsites as they pulled off roads and damaged resources, trampling vegetation and compacting soils with tents, campers and vehicles. Visitors built hundreds of new rock campfire rings and negatively impacted municipal water supplies with human waste and trash. Working closely with local county officials, the Forest has targeted the following areas for temporary management changes while exploring long term solutions:

Vasquez Creek and Little Vasquez Creek

Located just south of the Town of Winter Park, Vasquez and Little Vasquez creeks serve as the drinking water supply for the town’s thousands of residents and guests. It is also a key access point to Winter Park’s famed mountain bike trail system. In recent years, Vasquez (FSR 156) and Little Vasquez (FSR 148), both narrow access roads to the Arapaho National Forest in this area, have become riddled with new visitor-created campsites, crammed between the road, the hillsides and the creek. There are no restroom facilities, trash receptacles or permanent campfire rings in this area. Public concern has been growing about the potential for a wildfire start from an escaped campfire. In addition, campers are impacting water quality by using the ground in this constricted drainage for their restroom. This temporary closure order will prohibit camping within a quarter-mile on either side of Vasquez and Little Vasquez for one year.

Maxwell Falls

Located southwest of Evergreen, the Maxwell Falls and Cub Creek trailheads are enormously popular launching points for a day hike through a dramatic canyon. This area also draws campers and late-night partiers who have campfires that are often left unextinguished. The proximity of residential neighborhoods at the top of the canyon walls and nearby put these communities at great risk of being impacted by an escaped campfire from below. In close coordination with local fire departments, the Jefferson County Sheriff and other local elected officials, the Forest has designated this area as “day use only” for the next five years. It is now prohibited to camp, have a campfire or be in the Maxwell Falls area between sundown and sunrise.

Rainbow Lakes Road

Located northwest of Nederland, Rainbow Lakes Road (FSR 116) serves two major trailheads (Sourdough and Rainbow) and a popular developed campground (Rainbow Lakes). Camping along the road has been steadily increasing, and last year the number of visitor-created campsites skyrocketed, creating an almost continuous line of trampled vegetation and visitor-built campfire rings along the Forest Service portions of road. Most of those campsites are located less than 100 feet from the North Boulder Creek, which is a primary source of drinking water for the City of Boulder. People camping for free along the road overwhelmed the concessionaire-managed campground at the end of the road by dumping trash and using its restrooms while cars parked along the road created emergency access issues. Camping will be prohibited within a quarter-mile of either side of the road for one year. Camping is still allowed in the campground and in the designated dispersed campsites at Caribou.

Ceran Saint Vrain

Located west of Jamestown, the Ceran Saint Vrain trail is popular with day hikers, mountain bikers and anglers. Along this 2-mile stretch of hiking trail, Forest Service staff identified more than 70 campsites created by visitors. Almost all the sites are located within 100 feet of the South Saint Vrain Creek. Trampled areas along the creek, along with human waste, are causing water quality issues in this area. Conflicts between day users who want to access the creek and campers trying to enjoy some privacy are common. Overcrowded parking at the trailhead creates emergency access issues and patrolling the 2-mile stretch of nonmotorized trail is challenging for law enforcement and the Forest’s limited crews. The area is plagued by unattended campfires and is surrounded uphill by private property. The limited size of the area doesn't support both overnight and day use opportunities. This prohibits camping within a quarter-mile of the creek for one year, allowing the forest to focus on the quality of the day-use experience while giving the area time to recover from previous overnight camping impacts.

Winiger Ridge

Located west of Gross Reservoir, Winiger Ridge provides 26 designated campsites with metal fire rings. Recently, visitors have been pushing closer to the reservoir, creating new campsites along County Road 68J/FSR 68.2B, which is a rough 4WD road that is very difficult for emergency services and firefighters to traverse. In many cases, campsites have been set up on private property due to the fragmented landownership of the area. Issues with unattended campfires, trash, resource damage from off-road driving and trespassing on private property have led to the decision to close this corridor to camping for two years while Forest staff focuses on providing higher quality sites along Winiger Ridge. Eventually, more designated sites may be added along Winiger Ridge to meet higher demand.

In addition to these areas, the Forest still has closures in place for the Williams Fork Fire, East Troublesome Fire and Cameron Peak Fire. As soon as the snow melts, Forest personnel will be focused on assessing and stabilizing the burned areas. These areas are expected to remain largely closed to the public until critical life-safety road and trail stabilization needs can be addressed.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Forest Service temporary closing some popular dispersed camping areas:
    That Vasquez Creek bullshit is about fucking time.

forrest service is trying to crush van life
    it's ok no one can take my vans from me
    don't tread on me

Those fire closures are going to be tough. Cameron Peak and East Troublesome seared areas that absorbed tons of Front Range users, like the upper Cache, Rawah, Stillwater Pass, west side of RMNP, etc.

I know it will open eventually, but it's not like the masses will be in a rush to recreate in a charred forest.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 05-14-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That Vasquez Creek bullshit is about fucking time.
    I don't disagree but closure is pretty much weak sauce. Those douche bags are just gonna go listen to EDM, pose for the Insta and shit is the bushes somewhere else. Meadow Creek should be next.

I hope that doesn't happen Foggy. The access fee removes some of the bullshit, but that area has certainly seen increased visitation.

If anyone cares....rampart range road and trails are still closed. Snow hasn't melted out yet

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    If anyone cares....rampart range road and trails are still closed. Snow hasn't melted out yet
    Did you find that out the hard way?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Did you find that out the hard way?

Yeah I drove to Sedalia and saw the big electronic sign. Then it started pouring rain. Thems the breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    How many people missed the exit?

Every time I have skied Silver, there have been groups ahead of me (either left the TH before me or passed me on the climb) that were not back to their cars when I got back to the TH. I'd wager at least 1/3 and probably more miss the exit. They get the exit to the aqueduct, but miss the right turn off the aqueduct.
    Good question! One other group got out ok ahead of us and were having a quick tailgate. But good question on some of the others. We tried to jump the traverse out by 50-100' of vert... that doesnt work either, you hit cliffs. Reminded me of the adage, if there was a good shortcut, it would be the main trail

I finally ticked off one of my bucket list items and hiked to the top of the North Pole. The snow conditions were, um, less than stellar. Heavy clouds rolled in just as I started the hike up. Too bad as other aspects were skiing great.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I finally ticked off one of my bucket list items and hiked to the top of the North Pole. The snow conditions were, um, less than stellar. Heavy clouds rolled in just as I started the hike up. Too bad as other aspects were skiing great.

How was stuff off Pali skiing today? Looks like tomorrow is the last day for Pali lift so debating heading up.

Pali was mixed. Too much chatter for my taste. East facing stuff was fantastic.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Loving this warm rain in Denver the past few days. Downpour, sun, downpour, sun....

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Loving this warm rain in Denver the past few days. Downpour, sun, downpour, sun....
    Yep, I was just saying to my wife that I wish every spring was like this... everything is so green. Let's just hope some of it continues into the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yep, I was just saying to my wife that I wish every spring was like this... everything is so green. Let's just hope some of it continues into the summer.
    Agree. The green is so stunning right now.

Coming out of the canyon going into glenwood springs looks like Maui or something right now, legit neon green.

the real spring melt hasn't really started in scummit this year
    it's tried about four times so far maybe today it will really start

Excellent corn harvest today at the Basin. East Wall is still open but Pali and Beavers are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    the real spring melt hasn't really started in scummit this year
    it's tried about four times so far maybe today it will really start
    The longer the better this year. I always like to compare a few trails in town year to year to see their melt patterns and it's really going now, though!

Went to the basin today. Sun, wind, dark ass clouds, snow. Things are melting out pretty good down low but they have been doing a bunch of harvesting and have more to push around, no lake reveal yet. With the warm week ahead I have a hard time imagining they will be going past June 6th

Quick FYI beta in case helpful for anyone... Skied Citadel (north collar) this AM. (East/norheast facing.) It did freeze last night, but not really enough to lock it up - was plunging through a good bit on the climb up. And the middle is pretty strewn with prior wet avy debris. Another freeze tonight should help, but then trending warmer.
    We shoulda skied off the ridge lookers left, much cleaner without surrounding rock walls having sent big rollerballs down. Main north collar still was fun, but had to work the sides on an already narrowish run
    Oh, and about a mile dry hike in before continuous snow - but that snow is on the other side of the creek which is running pretty good

Today was about as nice as a day could be. Glorious weather. Glorious corn. Saw no one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pettingell.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	375508

Name:	KelsoTorreys.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	375509

Name:	corndog tracks.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	757.4 KB 
ID:	375511

Name:	corndog.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	747.6 KB 
ID:	375510

^^^ Nice, was that on Parnassus? We were maybe a spec in your first pic...
    Somewhat related, a couple groups got Keplingers in last weekend. Probably doesnt hold till next Sat with things warming up 2nd half of week. The snow coverage may stay in, but dont know re booting up 2k of south-facing after a 7+ mile hike/skin. But on the list!

^^^^^ Skied Woods and Machebeuf. Dog terrain.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk