Page 1079 of 1082 FirstFirst ... 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 LastLast
Results 26,951 to 26,975 of 27046
    Sneaky 4" this morning. Filled in nice and no-one around.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsdesk View Post
    This season is a total bust.
    I asked Joel and said he ain’t worried about the Tampa Bay d. It is funny how an average start to the year, historically speaking, has everyone saying “all time conditions”. But I guess that’s part of the new norm with climate change, so the averages will drop and 10 years from now this season would be 200% above average instead of 110%

Any time you can get good skiing before the holiday shitshow is a good season. Some years you get it, some years you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    I asked Joel and said he ain’t worried about the Tampa Bay d. It is funny how an average start to the year, historically speaking, has everyone saying “all time conditions”. But I guess that’s part of the new norm with climate change, so the averages will drop and 10 years from now this season would be 200% above average instead of 110%
    The start to this season is well above average, up to 198% at some ski areas in CO as of December 1st. This after an abysmal season last year... so yes, Deb, people are excited.

Very sneaky 4” today. More like 6” new in the Beavers trees. That on top of everything else this week.

Zuma opens tomorrow. That should reduce wear and tear on the better terrain even more.

Best thing about the Beavers chair is that once people go back there, they can't get back to Pali very easily without a long run down the front side, so you kinda get stuck there. Less traffic on Pali means it doesn't get tracked out by 10am. I rode till noon today and was still finding untouched everywhere on the front side.

They were also working the Gullies a little today. Would be nice if those would get open asap.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Zuma opens tomorrow. That should reduce wear and tear on the better terrain even more.

Best thing about the Beavers chair is that once people go back there, they can't get back to Pali very easily without a long run down the front side, so you kinda get stuck there. Less traffic on Pali means it doesn't get tracked out by 10am. I rode till noon today and was still finding untouched everywhere on the front side.

They were also working the Gullies a little today. Would be nice if those would get open asap.
    Yeah, was shocked how untracked it was all morning!

Also, I’m seeing less people in the Beavers now...must be lots of pissed skiers who wanted groomers in there

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    The start to this season is well above average, up to 198% at some ski areas in CO as of December 1st. This after an abysmal season last year... so yes, Deb, people are excited.
    Yo Jay, Outliers are included in the calculation but it still lands as just 112% which isn’t all that much, hardly well above the average especially when last year places were at 10-20% this time of year. In this age of instant media instagramification everyone wants to make a 12% increase in snowpack all time bro!

Not echo mtn

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Which resorts are at 198% above average?
    DSM's Mom?

It is funny how an average start to the year, historically speaking, has everyone saying “all time conditions”. But I guess that’s part of the new norm with climate change, so the averages will drop and 10 years from now this season would be 200% above average instead of 110%
    No, it's been above average.....at least around here. As of late, since snowfall has tapered, the numbers are trending toward average.....but the start to the season has most definitely been above average. Many of the mountains around Summit and Eagle have had their earliest terrain openings ever......that doesn't happen in an average start to the season. Post/username FAIL.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

Name:  basinplotsprb19.gif
Views: 286
Size:  49.3 KB
    Name:  basinplotcrb19.gif
Views: 289
Size:  47.3 KB
    Name:  basinplotark19.gif
Views: 290
Size:  47.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Which resorts are at 198% above average?
    http://bestsnow.net/seas19.htm

Come on guys - you and I know the difference between "average" and "200% above average" in Colorado in the early season is like 9" of snow.

People have been saying best snow in 2 years down here. Graph agrees, but after the last two starts, close to average feels like a lot.
    Name:  basinploturgb19.gif
Size:  46.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Come on guys - you and I know the difference between "average" and "200% above average" in Colorado in the early season is like 9" of snow.

9" of 45% moisture content snow would do it, actually!

or 54" of our more typical 7.5% moisture content snow.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    People have been saying best snow in 2 years down here. Graph agrees, but after the last two starts, close to average feels like a lot.
    Name:  basinploturgb19.gif
Size:  46.2 KB
    Damn that 2018 line is depressing

Grouse opened this morning....HOLY SHIT that was nice!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Damn that 2018 line is depressing
    Yep. That uptick in Feb. was from a storm w/ a 30+ inch day. That day was about a seventh of our ytd.
    Last edited by SKIP INTRO; 12-07-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: to add, that day made my season due to the sheer ridiculousness of how deep it was

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Sooooo good out there. And quiet. Can’t get enough of this shit.

^^But we're only like 12.265% above average. Not that great I've heard
    Last edited by Soups; 12-07-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Highlands is opening up terrain prior to their actually typical opening date for the resort..... I'll look into the numbers in a bit, but this is a great start, and definitely above average on the hill.. We're probably JUST at or above average down low though....

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    No, it's been above average.....at least around here. As of late, since snowfall has tapered, the numbers are trending toward average.....but the start to the season has most definitely been above average. Many of the mountains around Summit and Eagle have had their earliest terrain openings ever......that doesn't happen in an average start to the season. Post/username FAIL.
    Breck has been pretty good, that's true, but the other area's not so much. I remember back early 2000's one of the opening days in mid November at A-basin was 100% open terrain, now THAT was all time. Right now A-basin is still only at about 40% open, and Pali has more sharks than something else that has a lot of sharks. I just think it's interesting how everyone's expectations have lowered because the last 10 years have been pretty terrible for skiing in Colorado, so that now that in Dec we are at 112% of snowpack, which while above average statistically speaking, is much closer to average than above, everyone is all bro brah all time conditions look at the sick gnar pow pow on my instagram facebook twitter post.

Breck has been pretty good, that's true, but the other area's not so much. I remember back early 2000's one of the opening days in mid November at A-basin was 100% open terrain, now THAT was all time. Right now A-basin is still only at about 40% open, and Pali has more sharks than something else that has a lot of sharks. I just think it's interesting how everyone's expectations have lowered because the last 10 years have been pretty terrible for skiing in Colorado, so that now that in Dec we are at 112% of snowpack, which while above average statistically speaking, is much closer to average than above, everyone is all bro brah all time conditions look at the sick gnar pow pow on my instagram facebook twitter post.
    Except the areas that you're talking about aren't at 112% of snowpack - that is statewide. In the N and E of the state, the pack is 25-45% above normal. Loveland has 135"+ YTD. That is way above average for them.