Page 1420 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 ... LastLast
Results 35,476 to 35,500 of 41142
    All the videos and pictures are heartbreaking and scary. Personal account of a friend that works at the evacuated Costco and forgot her phone as she ran out but helped lead some out of state shoppers to safety. Nobody can say the place wasn't properly raked. Climate is fucking all of us.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Nobody can say the place wasn't properly raked.
    thanks for the chuckle.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dear Xcel Energy,

I appreciate your concern with texting me, calling me, and emailing about the power outage at my house, when you're going to fix it, that you've fixed it, and then another round of texts/calls/emails about the new power outage.

Just one thing, though. Power hasn't gone out at my house today. And while I am super grateful about that, trust me I am, can you stop communicating with me about multiple phantom outages?

Thanks
    Danno
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Old Ma Nature is just getting "warmed" up. This is probably the new normal and it's just starting to ramp up. I'd bet that in the next few years climate change is going to be accelerating way faster than was predicted.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I'm not of fb but I read there's a page for trying to find or found lost pets/animals. I just can't even with such a tremendous loss of sentient life, those are not replaceable. It bothers me the news reports say no fatalities, yet probably dozens if not hundred of peoples pet's are gone. My pets are my children. Ugh.

Screenshot from part of Rock Creek neighborhood:

Attachment 399005

I'm safe in the mountains and I should be skiing this fresh soon, we are finally getting a decent dump, but I can't help but feel sorrow for all the peeps down there whose world changed within a few short hours. Where are they gonna go? There's not enough housing for all of them again. Rents are sky high. Many rentals won't allow pets. Building and housing supply shortage. It's sickening.
    Thanks for this. Have a friend who's out of town and his neighbors couldn't get his cat out before the house burned. Who knows with cats though...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    That picture is sickening, Jax.

I have looked at a lot of these neighborhoods as potential places to live over the years if I left Boulder proper, so weird to think about the what ifs.
    Same if I left Denver

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Thanks for this. Have a friend who's out of town and his neighbors couldn't get his cat out before the house burned.
    Oh my God. I can't even imagine.

I know me too, incredibly sad

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I realized today that in my new place I had not signed up for Xcel's "windsource" program, where you can ask for up to 100% of your electricity to come from wind power. Today seemed like a good day to do that. It ain't much, it's not gonna stop climate change, but it's a small something.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Dang, still can’t get into superior, roads closed, even to check on your house — 36W closed at wads — 1156 local

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Old Ma Nature is just getting "warmed" up. This is probably the new normal and it's just starting to ramp up. I'd bet that in the next few years climate change is going to be accelerating way faster than was predicted.
    This is what’s been running through my head, but we recently watched Silent Night, so maybe the idea was already planted?

Next a-hole who points to a single snowstorm or cold snap as proof positive climate change is fake is getting throat-punched. Was really hoping to be dead before we’re completely fukt, but the timetable seems unreliable at best.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Pictures from a tweet from that guy I linked upthread. Total fucking random devastation.

the horse survived

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the horse survived

That’s an amazing shot, in spite of all the devastation.

This is all horrifically sad. Starting a job in Boulder in March and have been looking for a place in these neighborhoods. Just horrible and thoughts with all those involved.

Current reports say it was likely started by a downed power line. This can't be happening in 2021. I work in the renewable energy industry, and the fact that Western utilities are not mandated to have power shutoff operations for weather conditions like yesterday is beyond me. In Colorado, we run uninsulated power lines at high voltage in weather like this (when wood poles start to fail with winds over 50 mph!), in an extreme drought, with no shutoff option, and expect nothing to happen? It is complete negligence by the utilities, who clearly do not give a damn about their customers' lives. Grid modernization needs to happen, and it needs to happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    This is all horrifically sad. Starting a job in Boulder in March and have been looking for a place in these neighborhoods. Just horrible and thoughts with all those involved.

Current reports say it was likely started by a downed power line. This can't be happening in 2021. I work in the renewable energy industry, and the fact that Western utilities are not mandated to have power shutoff operations for weather conditions like yesterday is beyond me. In Colorado, we run uninsulated power lines at high voltage in weather like this (when wood poles start to fail with winds over 50 mph!), in an extreme drought, with no shutoff option, and expect nothing to happen? It is complete negligence by the utilities, who clearly do not give a damn about their customers' lives. Grid modernization needs to happen, and it needs to happen now.
    Good rant and context. Hadn't thought about how preventable this was yet.

Vibes to all affected, I know what you are going through and wish you the best.

Having gone through this recently (hard to believe it has been four years) I would be happy talk to anybody affected as I have a few insights into dealing with it all. The first few days are pretty overwhelming, but this to shall end.

I am in the Denver area at my daughter's this week, and between mass shootings, wild fire I am starting to feel right at home, but not in a good way. Add an earthquake and you have a soCal trifecta

PM digits if anybody wants to talk

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Not an excuse, but the power companies catch so much shit from their customers everytime they shut down power in winds that they can't win for losing.

As many know my wife and I lost our house in a wind driven, powerline failure caused fire in just such a "worst windstorm ever" (which these days are all too commonly, and California power companies are doing a lot more rolling blackouts due to winds. Everytime they do, the shit hits the fan with complaints.

The bigger issues is years of deferred maintenance to save money. P Gand E is the worst offender, but SCE wasn't much better. The only upside to these fires is the wake up call to the Pics to make these companies do what they are supposed to do, maintain and operate their systems safely. Just got a text they are flying drones in my neighborhood to check lines. It's a start.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Not an excuse, but the power companies catch so much shit from their customers everytime they shut down power in winds that they can't win for losing.

As many know my wife and I lost our house in a wind driven, powerline failure caused fire in just such a "worst windstorm ever" (which these days are all too commonly, and California power companies are doing a lot more rolling blackouts due to winds. Everytime they do, the shit hits the fan with complaints.

The bigger issues is years of deferred maintenance to save money. P Gand E is the worst offender, but SCE wasn't much better. The only upside to these fires is the wake up call to the Pics to make these companies do what they are supposed to do, maintain and operate their systems safely. Just got a text they are flying drones in my neighborhood to check lines. It's a start.
    All good points. There are a variety of companies that have developed inline smart monitors to help utilities monitor their lines. Most have accelerometers onboard that can detect a downed line, and then the utility knows which lines to shut off. Imo, this is the best solution, as you don't have unnecessary blackouts, but the utilities need to poney up the funds.

the fact that Western utilities are not mandated to have power shutoff operations for weather conditions like yesterday is beyond me. In Colorado, we run uninsulated power lines at high voltage in weather like this (when wood poles start to fail with winds over 50 mph!), in an extreme drought, with no shutoff option, and expect nothing to happen? It is complete negligence by the utilities, who clearly do not give a damn about their customers' lives. Grid modernization needs to happen, and it needs to happen now.
    This is Colorado in a nutshell. A place where people supposedly love the outdoors, but litter the fuck out of everywhere and do nothing to combat destruction of the environment besides constant virtual signaling their feckless faux environmentalism.

Dude, if my power went out when the wind was blowing 100mph, my complaint wouldn't be with the power company. People are fucking dumb.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

W3 are still battling SCE in a lawsuit over just this point. If the PUC won't make them maintain theirines, maybe a few lawsuits will. Unfortunately we will only recover damages, but hopefully somebody will take this all the way and sting the. With putative damages of a few billion.

When it comes to this kind of thing I am not much of a libertarian and think this is exactly what government should be doing. Libertarianism is all well and fine in theory, but a few homeowners going against giant multinationals are not going to win.

iscariot

Dude, if my power went out when the wind was blowing 100mph, my complaint wouldn't be with the power company. People are fucking dumb.
    Come to southern California when the Santa Ana winds blow. Every shut down is met with screams of outrage and protest. Not from me, I know first hand what happens when 100 mph winds get in the transmission. lines. Yes, people are dumb.

iscariot

And entitled, who don’t hesitate to call 9-1-1 when they lose power (not the utility co). You should hear some of the baloney people feel warrants a 9-1-1 call. Seems almost an equal number don’t believe their true emergencies qualify for 9-1-1, or just figure shit out for themselves, so I guess it sort of balances out.

Feels for the Boulder dispatchers getting their asses handed to them for the past 24 hours, and the people who have no choice but to place that call.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/12/31/m...-damage-cause/

Officials originally said the fire likely started from downed power lines, however, workers found no downed lines in the ignition area Friday afternoon,