Page 1283 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 ... LastLast
Results 32,051 to 32,075 of 41268
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    even if it means skiing keystone
    NO.

Meanwhile the alyeska 10-day is 88"... so how do I divert from eldora to AK? (pondering emoji)

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    Meanwhile the alyeska 10-day is 88"... so how do I divert from eldora to AK? (pondering emoji)
    Forget going all the way to Alaska, just go to Mt Baker. Over 60" of snow so far this year. Snow base is now 140" at the base and 155" at the top.

^^^Yep, that works

A basin skied pretty nicely yesterday. Spine first thing was awesome, followed by hitting every rock lower on the face. Worth it. Hopefully we get something out of this system today.

You didn’t hit them all. I found a bunch too.
    It’d be nice if they could do something with those two icy pitches on upper Loafer. Too much like East coast conditions. The edges on my rock skis are too dull for that shit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    You didn’t hit them all. I found a bunch too.
    It’d be nice if they could do something with those two icy pitches on upper Loafer. Too much like East coast conditions. The edges on my rock skis are too dull for that shit.

I'm not sure that if someone hits a rock it precludes anyone else from hitting the same rock. Funny on the rock skis comment as I broke down and did some edge work on my 15 year old boards for exactly that reason.

How is it possible that with the exception of some rainforest mountain in Washington, Cuchara has basically the best snowpack in the country?

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal...ome/quicklinks

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    How is it possible that with the exception of some rainforest mountain in Washington, Cuchara has basically the best snowpack in the country?

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal...ome/quicklinks
    I think you are misreading the data. They don't have the best snowpack in the country or even the state, it is just the best relative to normal. If their normal is 10", and they have 15", they are at 150%. Whereas a different locale could have a normal of 50", and be at 40", and be at 80%.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by V.R.P View Post
    Were they possibly better slaying at home?

https://www.summitdaily.com/sports/w...-fritz-sperry/

JHFCOAS.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    JHFCOAS.
    The CO Backcountry Ski group on FB is ridiculous in it's non-judgement. Occasionally a decision is straight up bad, and we need to call it out because it endangers other peoples lives.

Yeah, if we're writing it up for Incidents in NA Mountaineer -- we can treat it objectively and learn, but shit like this is just fucking dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think you are misreading the data. They don't have the best snowpack in the country or even the state, it is just the best relative to normal. If their normal is 10", and they have 15", they are at 150%. Whereas a different locale could have a normal of 50", and be at 40", and be at 80%.
    But you can get that data by selecting "value" under parameters.

Making a lot of assumptions based on limited information but it doesn’t appear that they had a backup plan. A microtraxion, tibloc, cord, and/or a set of bail stoppers and biners doesn’t add much weight to the “oh shit kit” for this type of outing and might save you and your partner’s life.

I haven’t done social media for a few years but I wonder how many of these situations are monkey see monkey do thanks to Instagram.

This is a down climb to a rap to just get on skis right?
    Doesnt seem like the right conditions for a number of reasons (that said, I havent done it)
    And yeah, would think first guy in would want to confirm conditions before the second (last) guy raps in - and ^^^, then still have some means to get back up
    Obviously theyre experienced guys to get in there though. Is this the year of experienced folks pushing the envelope to get away from the new BC masses?

Making a lot of assumptions based on limited information but it doesn’t appear that they had a backup plan. A microtraxion, tibloc, cord, and/or a set of bail stoppers and biners doesn’t add much weight to the “oh shit kit” for this type of outing and might save you and your partner’s life.

I haven’t done social media for a few years but I wonder how many of these situations are monkey see monkey do thanks to Instagram.
    Or just one 48in sling, knowledge of prusik & how to use the auto blocking rappel device they used to descend from the fixed anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by mt_wilson View Post
    Or just one 48in sling, knowledge of prusik & how to use the auto blocking rappel device they used to descend from the fixed anchor.

That would work too...until you pull the rope. Or is there a community fixed line up there?

Edit: either way, the number of questionable decisions with no bail plan resulting in rescue that occur in the mountains here is astounding.

I have some info on the Coin Slot rescue......

-One of the parties skied it last April and thought that since it faced north-ish, the snowpack would be less faceted than other aspects. (WUT????? I have no idea if this guy has taken an avy 1 course, but that assumption is so absurdly WRONG, that I fully question it.)
    -First guy roped down in and jumped around trying to get it to move....nothing. Second guy then rappelled down in.
    -First guy skied a little ways down to a 'safe' spot and hooked up to a tree.
    -Second guy was then skiing down when the snowpack collapsed/cracked and moved 6"-12", then he anchored himself off.
    -Both tried to get the chute to slide while roped off and brought enough rope to rappel down if it did, but they never got it to slide and didn't feel safe continuing on. Sounds like if it slid, they had gear to rappel further down (?)
    -They decided to stay put and call SAR.

This was a friend's coworker, so I don't know the guy. That's all the info I have, so don't bother asking additional questions. Flame away.......
    Old's Cool.

^^^flame what? Sounds like sound ski mountaineering protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    I have some info on the Coin Slot rescue......

-One of the parties skied it last April and thought that since it faced north-ish, the snowpack would be less faceted than other aspects. (WUT????? I have no idea if this guy has taken an avy 1 course, but that assumption is so absurdly WRONG, that I fully question it.)
    -First guy roped down in and jumped around trying to get it to move....nothing. Second guy then rappelled down in.
    -First guy skied a little ways down to a 'safe' spot and hooked up to a tree.
    -Second guy was then skiing down when the snowpack collapsed/cracked and moved 6"-12", then he anchored himself off.
    -Both tried to get the chute to slide while roped off and brought enough rope to rappel down if it did, but they never got it to slide and didn't feel safe continuing on. Sounds like if it slid, they had gear to rappel further down (?)
    -They decided to stay put and call SAR.

This was a friend's coworker, so I don't know the guy. That's all the info I have, so don't bother asking additional questions. Flame away.......
    I heard they were also employing the use of snowblades in an attempt to claim first short stick descent.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

So why didn't they just get to the side and boot it down belaying off trees as they went. Backcountry skiing is about dealing with shit if it arises.
    off your knees Louie

^^^Cody and Bjarne?! Come on, they shoulda known better!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The CO Backcountry Ski group on FB is ridiculous in it's non-judgement. Occasionally a decision is straight up bad, and we need to call it out because it endangers other peoples lives.

Yeah, if we're writing it up for Incidents in NA Mountaineer -- we can treat it objectively and learn, but shit like this is just fucking dumb.
    Yup. The people who know better are afraid to speak out, for fear of being banned. It's not quite like Alpine Zone (at least I don't think so - never checked it out), but they definitely go over the top in trying to keep it civil.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yup. The people who know better are afraid to speak out, for fear of being banned. It's not quite like Alpine Zone (at least I don't think so - never checked it out), but they definitely go over the top in trying to keep it civil.

... Thom
    I believe a mag is a mod of it -- so I'm not trying to be a dick -- I'm just struggling to think through the limits of no shaming, no judgment when it comes to a social media forum. At times, we need to speak out against bad actions and decisions that negatively impact not just those making the decision, but those they are endangering (SAR in this case) and the user group as a whole (perception of bc skiers as a bunch of bozos who make tons of bad decisions.)

Yes, there is a place for non-judgmental learning. I'm not sure a social media forum should always be it.