Page 1279 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 ... LastLast
Results 31,951 to 31,975 of 41269
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Not in the morning, maybe in the afternoon. But I can’t see how with more rocks than snow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Some of that area definitely loads in while other spots are pretty much always rocky but maybe they’re just talking about the very bottom? I’d like to go up in the morning but fuck, it could be a little brutal out there until later on. We’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think they opened the Rat up to the public for at least warming-up last weekend.

Saw it was -33F wind chill this AM there -- and that was at the weather station.
    Yep for sure, a few laps this afternoon from 1-3 at LL and I’m searching the internet for a new insulated jacket. Got 5 or 6 laps off 1, 6 & 2 for 2hrs and my shit was frozen. Screaming barffies in my toes yoooow. Fun to storm ski a little. Really fun dense snow where you could find it drifted up.

stay outta my line

Sounds like a slide fatality on Berthoud in First Creek yesterday. No transceiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Sounds like a slide fatality on Berthoud in First Creek yesterday. No transceiver.
    Ugh. That area (Chimney) is so beautiful, but so deadly. I was caught in a partial burial in that exact chute 4-5 years ago and am lucky to be here today due to some luck and a great crew to assist.

RIP
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    This won't surprise many here, but shit there were a lot of questionable lines on BP yesterday. The Roll was tracked out, someone kicked off a decent slab above Rush cliffs and escaped via Lift gulley. As we left, 4 pack skiing the Roll in very unsafe looking way (stopping mid slope to get insta footy or some shit). We backed off the bit of the flume droping to the aquaduct cuz of vibes and I'm glad we did. vibes to the deceased family/friends, keep it mellow out there.

Sucks to hear this ^^^

Talked to a friend who runs a management company for a ton of Summit County rentals. Sounds like they lost 200k this month on cancellations. Have other areas or companies been hit that hard too?

Hey y'all,
    Checking in from the Tahoe thread. Made plans months ago to come climb 14ers and ski, well before this PWL came down. I'm out on wolf creek for this storm, keeping it mellow. Dumping right now!

I drove out and am staying in my vans so super low covid risk to my beautiful home state. +++vibes to all affected by slides and covid etc.

Looks like this is the best thread to keep tabs on what folks are finding in the 'pack around the state.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Hey y'all,
    Checking in from the Tahoe thread. Made plans months ago to come climb 14ers and ski, well before this PWL came down. I'm out on wolf creek for this storm, keeping it mellow. Dumping right now!

I drove out and am staying in my vans so super low covid risk to my beautiful home state. +++vibes to all affected by slides and covid etc.

Looks like this is the best thread to keep tabs on what folks are finding in the 'pack around the state.
    If you want a touring partner I am in South Fork. No my way around better than most. Probably not going to tour till Wednesday after the storm stops.
    off your knees Louie

To the young couple with lifted GX460 and the Aussie named "Breck" I pulled out of the ditch on Saturday:

Please leave you stupid at home and bring a little bit of humble with with ya when you go overlanding to the Fraser Tubing hill. I know you want to be "Mountainy AF"tm but you gotta work a bit harder.

First, "thanks for stopping" is a much better intro than "I don't know why I can't drive it out, it's got lockers" as you jambing those plastic thingys under the tires. Second, try not to choke your dog out as he's hanging on by his leash as he tries to jump out. Third, if you jump up and down all giddy goggling how to hook up a tow strap, this game may not be for you. And oh, the "tow ball" is the ball shaped thing on the back of the truck that you tow with.

Total Mountain Points = -9 I would have given you a -10 but the back of your rig was nicely accessorized with some sweet IKON patches and couple of radios.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Talked to a friend who runs a management company for a ton of Summit County rentals. Sounds like they lost 200k this month on cancellations. Have other areas or companies been hit that hard too?
    Yes. I can't remember the week between Christmas and NYE ever being as quiet here as it is right now. Yesterday (what should have been the busiest Sunday of the season) I was at Buttermilk with my almost 3 y/o, we showed up at 11am and got front row parking, the main lift was ski on at 11:10am.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    To the young couple with lifted GX460 and the Aussie named "Breck" I pulled out of the ditch on Saturday:

Please leave you stupid at home and bring a little bit of humble with with ya when you go overlanding to the Fraser Tubing hill. I know you want to be "Mountainy AF"tm but you gotta work a bit harder.

First, "thanks for stopping" is a much better intro than "I don't know why I can't drive it out, it's got lockers" as you jambing those plastic thingys under the tires. Second, try not to choke your dog out as he's hanging on by his leash as he tries to jump out. Third, if you jump up and down all giddy goggling how to hook up a tow strap, this game may not be for you. And oh, the "tow ball" is the ball shaped thing on the back of the truck that you tow with.

Total Mountain Points = -9 I would have given you a -10 but the back of your rig was nicely accessorized with some sweet IKON patches and couple of radios.
    This is fucking GOLD. I pulled an Expedition-drivin' dude out of the ditch in the Xmas tree cutting area west of Fraser about a decade ago... with my Honda minivan and his broke-ass tow strap that I had to knot together so it wouldn't break (again).

Feels pretty normal here, not sure if that's just because the lifts aren't being loaded fully though. We might even be getting some overflow from the front range epic resorts that are out of reservations for the week while CB still had availability.

busiest i have ever seen here. most toy haulers, rvs and van lifers parked on pass than i have ever seen in my time here. i guess with covid putting the damper on restaurants and entertainment people are choosing a 6ft base and 2ft of fresh.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Feels pretty normal here, not sure if that's just because the lifts aren't being loaded fully though. We might even be getting some overflow from the front range epic resorts that are out of reservations for the week while CB still had availability.
    You're also in the only place in CO with a base and reasonable stability

Summit is a junk show of people everywhere. I mean riding Pali at the basin was more than fine this afternoon (no line at Lenawee either) and opening up the face later in the day was a nice treat even if it’s way low tide. But doing everything else is awful, traffic through keystone made it look like that place was slammed. It’s honestly all so hard to gauge right now

as always foggy nails it with his spot on assesment of stupid in the mountains calling it like he sees it
    saw a beautiful shinny -same lexas minus the off road pkg- (maybe they shoulda got it) launched up and over a snow bank solid work as it dove in hard over the edge

no one was in aspen cause of all the communist paper work you need to fill out thankfully summit is skipping that shit and its full on actually not as bad as last year but fucked one of my six humidifiers broke and I hate what it does to my skin and wrinkles was dreading hitting up wal mart so I went to bed bath and beyond instead nerdy hot girls working there

Not crowded at Steamboat. Except where it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2156.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	967.5 KB 
ID:	355309

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I'm in steamboat and it feels crowded. Like normal xmas crowded.

I also haven't gone skiing since we got here because I'm nursing an injury but I was up at the base today and it seemed pretty normal

Name:  you-call-this-a-storm.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  132.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post

I also haven't gone skiing since we got here because I'm nursing an injury but I was up at the base today and it seemed pretty normal
    Supposedly there were 14,000 people in town xmas week. That is pretty close to a normal normal year. From what I remember when I drove shuttles the absolute busiest weeks had 20,000 or so in town (e.g. a storm right before presidents day etc.).

The backcountry trailheads are a zoo, but most are clueless. Great people watching though.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Powder day

Big lines - at least at the starting gun

Every other gondola has one person on it!

Good skiing though, not good base but champagne pow thats for sure.

Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 12-29-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Loveland skied well today. Lot full by 9:30ish. Full maze on Chet’s when we were leaving at 12:30. Wasn’t too bad on 6 and Ptarmigan, but definitely felt busy. Need at least one more lift to open so people can start spreading out some more.

go upside down.

Guess I’ll keep it going... busiest day so far at the basin including A beyond full maze at Pali for a while. But the skiing was pretty nice and they opened beavers lift with access to Davis (didn’t ski great by time I got there but ah well) and Pali face and international opened later in the day. I think Pali face area has been opening most days but they seem to like to delay it until afternoon for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post

I don't know if anyone else would have been there, but January 2nd was a zoo! I doubt its anywhere near that, shoulder to shoulder from the bus drop to...well the lifts.

Vail was pretty good yesterday. Lines got a bit long but never out the mazes and longest wait was maybe 10 minutes. Even with only sun up/sun down open in the back people spread out pretty well.