Page 1500 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 ... LastLast
Results 37,476 to 37,500 of 41142

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Am I dumb to think that if I’m on the CDT walking to Rollins pass from Roger’s pass on Saturday that if weather comes up I can bail down to the east at like Iceberg lake, Arapahoe lakes, upper crater etc? With no real mountaineering skills or special gear? Topo makes It look doable but I haven’t been there.

ETA I’m confident navigating but don’t wanna bushwhack too much. Sat shows it’s mostly above treeline to the main lower trails.

ETAA: I’m out so I won’t see more replies til it’s too late. Thx to adrenalated and craven!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 08-19-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

As I recall, most of those bailout options have some scree but are okay to travel without technical gear.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    As I recall, most of those bailout options have some scree but are okay to travel without technical gear.
    Thanks mang just what I was hoping to hear! It looks like the t storms might show up pretty early so good to know. Thx!

Most of those cirques on the east side are pretty steep - probably doable without technical gear, but it'll be pretty steep and sketchy scree and at best not very fun. Generally down along the subtle ridgelines that extend east between cirques should be pretty reasonable. There's certainly ways to bail east but you can't necessarily just go straight down wherever you want.

eat the mushrooms in the woods on the way up
    you will have no worries when your at the top
    belive me

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Most of those cirques on the east side are pretty steep - probably doable without technical gear, but it'll be pretty steep and sketchy scree and at best not very fun. Generally down along the subtle ridgelines that extend east between cirques should be pretty reasonable. There's certainly ways to bail east but you can't necessarily just go straight down wherever you want.
    Gotcha. Good info. Thanks man. Looking at the topo I see where you’re talking about. Ideally I’ll have some warning and will bail early if need be so I have a good chance to have time to scout a way down. Hopefully the entire time on the CD will take less than two hours but I’m planning on 4 to be safe.

Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 08-19-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Planning a small roadtrip with the wife and dog during the end of September. A few nights with friends in Aspen, we will drive down to Ridgeway/Ouray. I hope to catch fall foliage at Dallas Divide, hang out around Lost Dollar Road, fish Trout Lake and maybe climb Mt. Sneffels before returning to UT. Thinking of either camping or renting a cabin at The Ouray Riverside Resort. I'm wondering about the ideal time to visit (right now we are slated for around Sept 18-25). What's the weather like? What are other must-sees?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Foilage might need a few weeks later to be at peak.

Paonia has some decent wine producers if that's your thing while you travel between Aspen and Ridgeway.

In Ridgeway if you like coffee you won't find better in the state than the folks at Cimarron Roasters. They are tgapp approved. Provisions in Ridgeway is also really good.

I've got a soft spot for Owl Creek Pass outside of Ridgeway cause we got married there. But it is a beautiful fall drive and has plenty of hiking and camping opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Paonia has some decent wine producers if that's your thing while you travel between Aspen and Ridgeway.

In Ridgeway if you like coffee you won't find better in the state than the folks at Cimarron Roasters. They are tgapp approved. Provisions in Ridgeway is also really good.

I've got a soft spot for Owl Creek Pass outside of Ridgeway cause we got married there. But it is a beautiful fall drive and has plenty of hiking and camping opportunities.
    Pretty much nailed except its RidGway without the E

Fun fact, someone at CDOT messed that up and the sign at the South end of Montrose was spelled wrong for like 6 months this winter/spring.

The only thing I'll add is spend some time soaking in the hot springs, and if we get a freak storm rolling through it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for snow in the high country.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Planning a small roadtrip with the wife and dog during the end of September. A few nights with friends in Aspen, we will drive down to Ridgeway/Ouray. I hope to catch fall foliage at Dallas Divide, hang out around Lost Dollar Road, fish Trout Lake and maybe climb Mt. Sneffels before returning to UT. Thinking of either camping or renting a cabin at The Ouray Riverside Resort. I'm wondering about the ideal time to visit (right now we are slated for around Sept 18-25). What's the weather like? What are other must-sees?
    Do yourself a favor on your way from Aspen -> Ouray and take the scenic detour over Kebler and then down over Ohio Pass into Gunnison. Then, as doebedoe indicated - head south off Hwy 50 on Cimarron Rd and go over Owl Creek Pass. Drops you almost right into Ridgway on the west side.

Good time to go - trees should be mostly primetime.

For starters, inject some GNAR Taco straight into your veins.

Assuming you have a TGR approved vehicle, there are some incredible dirt roads in the Ouray & Ridgeway area. Corkscrew Pass, Imogene Pass and Last Dollar Road (True Grit was filmed in that area) are all manageable. Ironton -> Corkscrew Pass -> Velocity Basin Lake -> Silverton is quite fun. The Jeep Jamboree is September 22-24, which will bring the crowds.

Twin Peaks in Ouray, and the Bear Creek trail just south of town, are both stunning. Afterwards, enjoy a pint at the Silver Eagle!

Yep, tacos del gnar for sure and X3 (or whatever) that Owl Creek will be going off a month from now.

I'm addicted to the via ferrata in Ouray and would highly recommend doing it.

Speaking of, has anyone done the ABasin via ferrata? Worth doing?

There isn't a bad view anywhere in the Juans, but cruising up and over Lizard Head and down towards Rico should be off the hook for fall colors too.

Not for what they are charging. I guess if you were a family of inexperienced rock climber who was going to hire a guide anyway, it could be really cool to get the kids out into that kind of environment.

I haven't- but it sucks how expensive the private VF's are (Royal Gorge, Estes, A Basin, to name a few). Ouray and telluride are free.

Abasin was fun. I don't know what they charge though...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I haven't- but it sucks how expensive the private VF's are (Royal Gorge, Estes, A Basin, to name a few). Ouray and telluride are free.
    Definitely sucks.
    Is there a Via Ferrata anywhere that’s higher in altitude than A-Basin’s at 13k?

You guys talking about the jungle gym thing at ABay? Looks like it's for kids.

Certainly not any high skill moves and not a feeling of big exposure, but fun and great views up on the east wall at 13k
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Oh that's a different thing. Didn't notice it

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You guys talking about the jungle gym thing at ABay? Looks like it's for kids.
    ABay is for kids

There is an amazing ceviche place in Ridgway. Yes, really.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Re: Rogers Pass Trail

I don't know what your itinerary is (where are you starting and where are you trying to go) but the quickest route back to tree line will almost definitely be downhill towards Rollins Pass Road. Don't overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Nah. I do a leaf peeping jeep tour for seniors every year, the last two weeks of Sept is usually dead nuts peak foliage. The 25th is often late at higher elevations.