Page 946 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 ... LastLast
Results 23,626 to 23,650 of 41260
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    You guys know there is the sport called cross country skiing. It is even considered acceptable to where tights. It is totally free of avalanche hazard. The equipment is totally light weight. If you prefer, they offer groomed trails.

I heard it is the only growing segment of the sport.
    I read this in a Greg from AZ tone.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I don't know about that. Killian Jornet has skied bigger shit than most anyone on this forum on a regular basis and he seems to do ok on ski mo gear. Lots of guides in the Alps are on relatively wimpy looking gear and still ski well.
    I'm saying that "Skimo" and what MTM calls "Spandomo" are simulations of what ski mountaineering actually is. I'm sure there are some great skiers who can ski anything on their little Trab sticks and spandex, but they are the exception by far. Especially here in Merica, and more specifically in CO, where this thread is actually supposed to be talking about the weather.

I don't know about that. Killian Jornet has skied bigger shit than most anyone on this forum on a regular basis and he seems to do ok on ski mo gear. Lots of guides in the Alps are on relatively wimpy looking gear and still ski well.
    I've got no dog in this condom skiing nomenclature fight, just popping in to say that using a once-in-a-generation athlete and guides in La Grave to support the notion that "ski mo" gear is a viable choice for skiing well on "mountaineering" missions is a pretty awesome generalization. #weather

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I think we need to establish some boundries on nomenclature:

Skimo:

Spandomo:

Sidecomo:

Ski mountaineering:
    Ha! And awesome!

Skimo:
    The guy on verdicts doesn't know what Skimo is and was just practicing skinning for the first time on his craigslist setup before his first avalanche class which is why he brought a backpack with him to the groomer.

Spanmo:
    The race crew thinks they are Skimo and the guy on spirit 4s, verdicts, and non-adjustable poles is a slow SKimo poser.

Sidecomo:
    This crew thinks Spanmo's spandex is lame, but the skier wonders how skinny skimo skins grip while his fat skins slide backwards in the bootpacked.

Ski mountaineer:
    Mostly just wishes they had taken off the skins at the bottom because now they will have to do it on the platform they'll be chopping at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It's been really cold and dry lately. While you could patch together a tour very easily, I wouldn't count on any turns.

If you are dead set, I'd tour up the Sherman/Sheridan/Dyer area if you are around there.

Here's a pic (not mine) from Ark area recently to give you an idea: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcQJhpGF...n-by=joe.szasz
    Thanks for the response. I will pack accordingly.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    My best guess is that people were skinning up then riding the upper lifts for free, and it's a lot cheaper to limit uphill access than to add a lifty at every chair.
    But I have no idea, that's just speculation on my part.
    That's what I've heard put out there as well. Bummer for sure... Hopefully this doesn't affect the way other areas look at it and approach Uphill access

It's been really cold and dry lately. While you could patch together a tour very easily, I wouldn't count on any turns.

If you are dead set, I'd tour up the Sherman/Sheridan/Dyer area if you are around there.

Here's a pic (not mine) from Ark area recently to give you an idea: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcQJhpGF...n-by=joe.szasz
    Thanks for this update. Looks rough.

Man, I don't know. When I see Killian videos I'm usually thinking, "someone buy that guy a lesson". I know he's one of the biggest badasses ever, but I'd still want to punch myself in the face if I skied like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    It probably had more to do with skinning all of 15min to 4, 9, or Ptarmagin and then skiing for free
    Eldora charges for uphill access...$159 season pass ...after not allowing it for years. wonder if that's the way this is headed. can't understand the draw of going to a crowded resort area for this instead of a CC trail or the BC.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Eldora charges for uphill access...$159 season pass ...after not allowing it for years. wonder if that's the way this is headed. can't understand the draw of going to a crowded resort area for this instead of a CC trail or the BC.
    The draw is (for me) fitness and not having to worry about getting into avalanche terrain and then having some decent turns afterwards (CC trails are too flat). I'd prefer having a separate, winding uphill singletrack trail (in the forest in between trails) utilized for uphillers instead of at the side of a downhill trail, but it is what it is. I think Aspen is looking at doing that?

Low angle meadow skipping >>> touring inbounds

Thanks for this update. Looks rough.
    If you are looking to mtn bike next week, PM me!
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Why I love uphill access. You leave Denver early and avoid traffic and speed traps. When you get to ABay you get front row parking with an empty resort to ski. Enjoy the skin up as the sun rises. Then you head down to car and swap the sticks out and finish your cup o joe then ski the rest of the day.
    I don’t ski in spandex, and I don’t care about the weight of my gear I just look at as good training for the backcountry. Not sure why we need to convince anyone of our rational; some people enjoy it— others don’t. No worries; isn’t this just about getting out there eh?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Not sure why we need to convince anyone of our rational; some people enjoy it— others don’t. No worries; isn’t this just about getting out there eh?
    Some people are aggressively lazy, which naturally triggers a defensive response.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I skin groomed runs all the time. It’s a great way to get in a workout and make some turns before or after work. Snowmass, Buttermilk, and Highlands allow skinning all day long. On any given day so far this year there have been 30-60 people skinning before Ajax opens.

I will say that I do enjoy being able to walk from my house and skin mindlessly-solo-at-night without avi risk while listening to Audible or some articles.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    ABay
    You guys are just letting this shit go now? Maybe that's why it doesn't snow down there.

Yeah like everyone else around here I skin in bounds all the time, it's wildly popular for a reason. If I was driving up from the front range that would be different. But if you live close to a ski area then it's a free, convenient, fun way to get a really good workout.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Yeah fuck that noise.

It’s A-Basin.
    Arapahoe Basin is ok, as is “The Basin”

Don’t call it Abay, for the love of god, please don’t call it Abay

You gonna get on my case for calling Loveland "The Love" or "The Land of Love"?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    You gonna get on my case for calling Loveland "The Love" or "The Land of Love"?
    You can call that 4 turns to flat ski area whatever your heart desires.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    You can call that 4 turns to flat ski area whatever your heart desires.
    So are we calling Abasin 6 turns to semi-flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    So are we calling Abasin 6 turns to semi-flat?
    That year they groomed Pali top to bottom it was less than that......by 4, but during the Enduro, yes

Nobody criticized anyone for skinning before or after the resort opens. But skinning an OPEN run during operating hours is retarded. You are placing yourself in the line of fire of people who can barely ski a groomer and avoid inanimate objects, much less a spandomo on the other side of that roller, or around that corner.

I skin up the resort early in the morning and late at night sometimes. I bring the dog, listen to tunes, and sometimes the wife and I will haul some wine, beer, and snacks up to the top. Nothing wrong with that.