Page 670 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 ... LastLast
Results 16,726 to 16,750 of 41142
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Pics??
    Saw a vid of Rebecca Selig crushin pow at the Beav on Instagram
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Gonna tour around out in the bear lake area tomorrow. Stoked to break the skins back out. Will have the little one so no turns even if there's rideable snow but feels good to get the gear back out

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Pics??
    I was riding solo, so here is one of my dog getting 2nd tracks down Pronto

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Vonn and TW in town tonight at Buzz's

Not weather related but still.....
    Last edited by montanaskier; 11-13-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by rmnpsplitter View Post
    Gonna tour around out in the bear lake area tomorrow. Stoked to break the skins back out. Will have the little one so no turns even if there's rideable snow but feels good to get the gear back out
    Please report back, heading that way this weekend possibly.

So I am curious what Vail's policy is about people who skin up and ski the mountain at this time of year? Obviously I should avoid potential avalanche terrain like north rim and prima cornice... but is everything else pretty much fair game?

I'm going to be in Vail on Sunday and I really want to make some turns. Was thinking either Riva or Prima... what about highline? that's probably a pain in the ass to get to the top, no? is there a preferred route to skin up to the top ?

You can go ski. Stay out of the way and you should be fine. I always skin up from lionshead and head far right up Simba to eagles nest. From there it's an easy skin along the ridge to the top of 2,3,4
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    So I am curious what Vail's policy is about people who skin up and ski the mountain at this time of year? Obviously I should avoid potential avalanche terrain like north rim and prima cornice... but is everything else pretty much fair game?

I'm going to be in Vail on Sunday and I really want to make some turns. Was thinking either Riva or Prima... what about highline? that's probably a pain in the ass to get to the top, no? is there a preferred route to skin up to the top ?
    I am sure you cant. Mtn Ops is working on the hill to get it open so they probably have a bunch of equipment laying around, unmarked and possibly lurking just below the surface of the snow. I bet some have poached the powder but I am pretty sure it is illegal. At least in the Vail area of operations. I mean, stay out of their way and im sure its ok but I wouldnt advise to go. Going up is fine, its the skiing down part thats dicey.

I would check out the Line Shack / Meadow Mountain area near Minturn. It is pretty mellow terrain easily covered by the snow that has fallen. IMHO still too early to go anywhere that did not have a base before this storm.

Skinned up and skied down yesterday and did dawn patrol this morning. One or two trucks were on the hill, didn't see the workers anywhere. Passed a couple a snowcats going up yesterday. Just try and avoid any areas where they might be doing lift work or snowmaking.

It's deep up there.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchosPixels View Post
    I am sure you cant...I am pretty sure it is illegal...im sure its ok but I wouldnt advise to go...

IMHO still too early to go anywhere that did not have a base before this storm.
    Egad. The first part made me laugh, but the second part is pretty bad info. New snow on bare ground can be safer.

Every hill has their own early season policy and their own uphill policy during the season. Starting at first light can get you in/out under the radar.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Egad. The first part made me laugh, but the second part is pretty bad info. New snow on bare ground can be safer.

Every hill has their own early season policy and their own uphill policy during the season. Starting at first light can get you in/out under the radar.
    Very true. My bad, Much safer from an avalanche perspective when snow falls on bare ground so very true. I meant that there are a LOT of obstacles just under. Those take a while to get covered. On in bounds slopes resorts like Vail manicure the slopes quite a lot during the summer, they remove rocks and other obstacles and also cut down shrubs and grass so as to be able to open the slopes sooner with just a small base.

Funny stuff in the last few posts...

I usually go straight up Riva, bypassing tourist trap on the catwalks. For highline, just go to bottom of 11 and up flapjack. I'd say they're close to the same.

As for the uphill travel rules, there is a sign posted uphill of gp a little ways that says you're on your own, and watch out for snowmaking, unmarked obstacles, snowcats, etc.

My god you eastern slopers are a funny bunch. Avi danger on Flail is pretty much nil. I would rather ski on new snow covering old snow all day every day, than on new snow over ground. I know two eager beavers that double heel ejected about this time of year and broke both wrists. But then again what do I know, I'm only from this part of the world.

Ski Patrol at Vail blew up the cornice on Prima so that's a no go. Slid straight to the ground!!!!!

Also, the USFS is enforcing the strict "No use policy" this winter. I gather it means that only those who are buying lift tickets can use the public lands this year.

Skinned up Peak 10 at Breck this morning with the dog and skied down Spitfire. There's a pretty solid 24"-28" on that aspect. DEEP turns, but of course the snowpack doesn't have a base. It was quite excellent. iPhone pics.....

Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Skinning The Beav tomorrow morning....should be good!
    Did you skin the Beav today? How's she looking?

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    My god you eastern slopers are a funny bunch. Avi danger on Flail is pretty much nil.
    Care to rethink that position? One well-publicized inbounds death not all that long ago, and someone posting on this very thread was taken for an inbounds ride. Don't be a fucking idiot. There sure as shit is terrain at Vail that can and will slide.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

keystone was packed it wont let me post an image though

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Did you skin the Beav today? How's she looking?
    Vail....heavy.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

So we def don't have the amounts that the i70 corridor got but a solid 12"+ out there. Plenty to skin, riding would be a little questionable without a few more dumps in the areas that didn't hold snow over the summer. Was pretty surprised by how heavy the snow was considering how cold it was the whole storms. Lakes and rivers def aren't quite crossable yet either. Would be interesting to see how HV is looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416000146.538158.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	730.4 KB 
ID:	160312

Got warm today and the snow got really heavy. That'll help the resorts build base. Felt good to stretch the legs.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by rmnpsplitter View Post
    So we def don't have the amounts that the i70 corridor got but a solid 12"+ out there. Plenty to skin, riding would be a little questionable without a few more dumps in the areas that didn't hold snow over the summer. Was pretty surprised by how heavy the snow was considering how cold it was the whole storms. Lakes and rivers def aren't quite crossable yet either. Would be interesting to see how HV is looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416000146.538158.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	730.4 KB 
ID:	160312
    HV probably needs a bit more then as well. Thanks for the report, hopefully this next round is big up there.

Just started nuking huge flakes in Avon, hopefully it keeps up.

coming down pretty good at copper right now
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....