Page 1284 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 ... LastLast
Results 32,076 to 32,100 of 41290
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    So why didn't they just get to the side and boot it down belaying off trees as they went. Backcountry skiing is about dealing with shit if it arises.
    This. It was a 50' rap in, so they had at least 100' of rope. It's a relatively short line. They could have safely been down in a half hour, even if it all ripped out.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This. It was a 50' rap in, so they had at least 100' of rope. It's a relatively short line. They could have safely been down in a half hour, even if it all ripped out.
    My thought as well. In that scenario at least both skiers are anchored (assuming rappel is backed up and ends knotted) if it slides, but that also requires the gear and knowledge to use it.

Anyway, I’m sure these two know they fucked up and thankfully it wasn’t a body recovery mission.

I'm not on Facebook so I can't speak to the non call out there but it's a special kind of awesome to attempt some type of basically intown ski mountaineering line , totally goat fuck both the basic logistics and protocols of an abseil entrance and the general snowsafety conditions and then triple down with the SAR call out.

I mean, we've all fucked up before but don't you try to stay out of the paper? How about take out you cell, call your friends sitting on the couch at home and say "hey bro, can you can 2 dog leashes and a cam strap? I need you to come up to Mt Royal and belay me out of this pickle. Maybe bring a couple of beers and some Jimmy Johns? Hell you could have probably put out an Request for Help on that Facebook Page.

If this is how it's gonna go down, we should just all pay Cart Neige, build lift everywhere and go full Euro Retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    <snip>

If this is how it's gonna go down, we should just all pay Cart Neige, build lift everywhere and go full Euro Retard.

After spending two weeks skiing in Euro land I'm ready to go full Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    After spending two weeks skiing in Euro land I'm ready to go full Euro.
    Yeah.

Think I'm going to forgo the season pass after all this horseshit is over and just go to Europe for a couple months every winter.

I'm not on Facebook so I can't speak to the non call out there but it's a special kind of awesome to attempt some type of basically intown ski mountaineering line , totally goat fuck both the basic logistics and protocols of an abseil entrance and the general snowsafety conditions and then triple down with the SAR call out.

I mean, we've all fucked up before but don't you try to stay out of the paper? How about take out you cell, call your friends sitting on the couch at home and say "hey bro, can you can 2 dog leashes and a cam strap? I need you to come up to Mt Royal and belay me out of this pickle. Maybe bring a couple of beers and some Jimmy Johns? Hell you could have probably put out an Request for Help on that Facebook Page.

Pissing my pants here. POTD.

Pissing my pants here. POTD.
    Same. And I just read the article and looked at pictures of that chute. What a couple of fucking idiots. They owe the SAR team a big fat donation.

In better news, it actually snowed *more* than what was forecasted in CB today!

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

OHIO STATE WILL WIN. COLORADO WILL GET TWO FEET OF SNOW!!

WIN. WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

OHIO STATE WILL WIN. COLORADO WILL GET TWO FEET OF SNOW!!

WIN. WIN.
    O-H!

I-O

There isn't a whole lot of backcountry skiing that could garner my attention when I have yet to take a piss at 10,000'+ and not be able to easily melt through the snowpack and down to the dirt. I'm really hoping that is no longer the case by this time next month.

Full awesome post.

But these two... uh... forethought and preparation wasn't their apparent specialty. I mean... they had no uphill snow travel gear... strap the ski blades to the backpack and post hole awaaaaaaaaaay!

There should be an award. JONGs of the Decade?

This is gonna be a long winter for SAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I believe a mag is a mod of it -- so I'm not trying to be a dick -- I'm just struggling to think through the limits of no shaming, no judgment when it comes to a social media forum. At times, we need to speak out against bad actions and decisions that negatively impact not just those making the decision, but those they are endangering (SAR in this case) and the user group as a whole (perception of bc skiers as a bunch of bozos who make tons of bad decisions.)

Yes, there is a place for non-judgmental learning. I'm not sure a social media forum should always be it.
    Good point. I can see where the concern about the high newbie count might make it difficult to walk a fine line.

Facebook in general is a strange place. Maybe it's my cognitive skills, but even the thread design makes it difficult to follow a conversation. Social media isn't geared toward being a repository of information. Topics are like smoke. They're here today, and then poof!

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Full awesome post.

But these two... uh... forethought and preparation wasn't their apparent specialty. I mean... they had no uphill snow travel gear... strap the ski blades to the backpack and post hole awaaaaaaaaaay!

There should be an award. JONGs of the Decade?

This is gonna be a long winter for SAR...
    They walked the approach? NFW.

That trail up royal is bootpack/posthole city every winter.

Holy shit

Thats next level dumbfuck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I believe a mag is a mod of it -- so I'm not trying to be a dick -- I'm just struggling to think through the limits of no shaming, no judgment when it comes to a social media forum. At times, we need to speak out against bad actions and decisions that negatively impact not just those making the decision, but those they are endangering (SAR in this case) and the user group as a whole (perception of bc skiers as a bunch of bozos who make tons of bad decisions.)

Yes, there is a place for non-judgmental learning. I'm not sure a social media forum should always be it.
    I'm an admin of the group. Seemed to me there was plenty of calling out this duo's stupidity. There were two posters saying that the judgment was harsh and were attributing the judgment to calling SAR rather than the decision making that lead to their predicament. Anyways, not sure what you all are on about with the group being non-judgmental. Most complaints are that it is overly judgmental and people are afraid to ask questions. Also, us admins have very little influence. There are only 5 of us, and of those 3 of us who are regularly active. We encourage educational discourse & debate. But we do not control the actions of nearly 11k members. Seems the responses here re: the FB group are based on a couple of anecdotal comments.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Sorry -- should've been clearer. I don't think it's a mod thing. I think it's the large "we shall not judge" contingent (not necessarily the mods) that gets to me at times -- especially when decisions are directly impacting the safety of others.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    I'm an admin of the group. Seemed to me there was plenty of calling out this duo's stupidity. There were two posters saying that the judgment was harsh and were attributing the judgment to calling SAR rather than the decision making that lead to their predicament. Anyways, not sure what you all are on about with the group being non-judgmental. Most complaints are that it is overly judgmental and people are afraid to ask questions. Also, us admins have very little influence. There are only 5 of us, and of those 3 of us who are regularly active. We encourage educational discourse & debate. But we do not control the actions of nearly 11k members. Seems the responses here re: the FB group are based on a couple of anecdotal comments.
    Bullshit.

My experience with you dipshits on that facebook page:

People attacked me there for my opinion, I responded in kind and you cunts deleted MY post. So I left that transplant, newby, pseudo backcountry expert shit show and fuck you for my troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Well, I'm glad they're not dead.

The incidents we've seen so far suggests that both novices and the experienced are at greater risk of fucking up and dying this season. Both the quality of the snowpack and the stress of covid contribute to this. I'm operating under the assumption that I'm as vulnerable as everyone else.

So I'll be out meadow skipping. Often with a dog. I'm planning some bigger goals for the spring, because short term goals are dangerous right now.

Yesterday was fun even with no avy terrain involved.:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clancyski4.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	356591

Name:	clancyski2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	356590

Name:	91.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	356589

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    It's not a mod issue at all (and I definitely appreciate that mods can't win, any decision or no decision at all will have a sizable number vocally bitching). That group is schizophrenic, with some people complaining about how unwelcome it is to newbs, how others bend over backwards to be inclusive and non-judgmental, etc. It's all over the place. That's not a comment or criticism of the mods at all, more a comment about FB in general. And Thom's point above is also true:

Maybe it's my cognitive skills, but even the thread design makes it difficult to follow a conversation. Social media isn't geared toward being a repository of information. Topics are like smoke. They're here today, and then poof!
    As for kinnikinnick's complaint, you can't please everyone, especially people who are known to get their panties wadded. And often, the actions that are taken are entirely the result of what posts get reported. Mods rarely have the time and energy to wade into every issue and make some detailed determination of who started it, whether someone called no backsies, or whether someone was rubber or glue. If a post gets reported, the post gets looked at and if it warrants action, then action is taken.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I thought there were plenty of harsh judgmental posts in the Facebook post, and I don't personally see the point in piling it on. At the end of the day they fucked up but didn't make it worse by dying in a slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Bullshit.

People attacked me there for my opinion, I responded in kind and you cunts deleted MY post. So I left that transplant, newby, pseudo backcountry expert shit show and fuck you for my troubles.

did you file a Hurt Feelings Report?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sorry -- should've been clearer. I don't think it's a mod thing. I think it's the large "we shall not judge" contingent (not necessarily the mods) that gets to me at times -- especially when decisions are directly impacting the safety of others.
    Copy that. Just seemed to me the majority of responders on that thread were very much calling out the stupidity of this duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's not a mod issue at all (and I definitely appreciate that mods can't win, any decision or no decision at all will have a sizable number vocally bitching). That group is schizophrenic, with some people complaining about how unwelcome it is to newbs, how others bend over backwards to be inclusive and non-judgmental, etc. It's all over the place. That's not a comment or criticism of the mods at all, more a comment about FB in general. And Thom's point above is also true:

Maybe it's my cognitive skills, but even the thread design makes it difficult to follow a conversation. Social media isn't geared toward being a repository of information. Topics are like smoke. They're here today, and then poof!

As for kinnikinnick's complaint, you can't please everyone, especially people who are known to get their panties wadded. And often, the actions that are taken are entirely the result of what posts get reported. Mods rarely have the time and energy to wade into every issue and make some detailed determination of who started it, whether someone called no backsies, or whether someone was rubber or glue. If a post gets reported, the post gets looked at and if it warrants action, then action is taken.
    This essentially sums it up. With how large the group has gotten, it gets pulled in completely different directions and those with the loudest voices generally end up being how the group is perceived despite being a small minority representation.

And yes FB is a terrible format. It is so hard to moderate, especially now that we get hundreds, if not over a thousand, comments per day. It actually drove me back to this forum because I find the format so much more enjoyable and user-friendly. Also I have no responsibility here other than to myself, which is nice.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))