Page 1161 of 1650 FirstFirst ... 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 ... LastLast
Results 29,001 to 29,025 of 41247
    Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Wonder how Al feels about it though...
    Read his blog, he says he's happy about it.

Main downside is that it'll concentrate skier visits on powder days. We will see. I'm still optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post

Main downside is that it'll concentrate skier visits on powder days. We will see. I'm still optimistic.
    Although on a powder day, what’s easier for the Denver masses to get to? Winter Park or A-Basin? I’d say Winter Park.

Rode a lift with an AB ski patroller today who told me Al said the objective is 100K fewer skier visits than last year.

Who knows?

Was a very nice day on the WROD though. Nice to be skiing in October.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

If they have a big reduction in skier visits, but a smaller drop in revenue (because ikon visits pay more) that could be a net positive to the bottom line if they can cut expenses.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If they have a big reduction in skier visits, but a smaller drop in revenue (because ikon visits pay more) that could be a net positive to the bottom line if they can cut expenses.
    Heard an employee express some concern about the drop in visits and the interest in cutting costs. Hope they can make it work for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Predictions:

1) Abasin won't be as crowded as last season
    2) Abasin will have 3-6 COMPLETE SHIT SHOW DAYS this season
    3) Abasin will gain an overall reputation of being kick ass and not that crowded after this season

Any reports from the gnar of Keystone’s Schoolmarm?

lets not forget all the east coasters that have the ikon and can do a bunch of skiing in CO. who knows though!

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    lets not forget all the east coasters that have the ikon and can do a bunch of skiing in CO. who knows though!
    I'm guessing that that will be a pretty small percentage. ABasin is not a resort that people travel to. There's no housing, not shopping, few restaurants, etc. Maybe someone will fly out to CO and stay at Copper or WP and day trip one day to the Basin, but very few will be using the full 5/7 days.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread where we should be discussing this, the lack of VR employee visits will be a hudge change from years past. Especially in the spring, when their resorts are all closed, they will all be headed to Breck instead.

This weekend down on the front range was absolutely fantastic. Could not have asked for better weather, fucking LOVE this time of year.

<snip> they will all be headed to Breck instead.
    This warms the cockles of my heart.

Maybe, they have invested heavily in their F&B now having the base, mid, and top serving food and drink.

Dropping visits by 100K even if pass/ticket revenue doesn't change much, is going to hurt the F&B revenue... I'd imagine at least as much whatever expenses the crowds caused (really what is needed? extra parking attendants? they don't shut down lifts on slow days with norway gone)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Yeah, the people fucked most by drop of skier visits are the bartenders and wait staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Maybe, they have invested heavily in their F&B now having the base, mid, and top serving food and drink.

Dropping visits by 100K even if pass/ticket revenue doesn't change much, is going to hurt the F&B revenue... I'd imagine at least as much whatever expenses the crowds caused (really what is needed? extra parking attendants? they don't shut down lifts on slow days with norway gone)
    I don't know. But we don't have access to the numbers and they do. I have a hard time believing that they knowingly decided to take a big hit to their bottom line, just because. So I am assuming that one of two things is happening: 1, they anticipated lower skiers visits but believe that the bottom line will be good (now and/or in the future), or 2, they are shocked by the lower skier visits and are screwed.

2 seems unlikely, no?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't know. But we don't have access to the numbers and they do. I have a hard time believing that they knowingly decided to take a big hit to their bottom line, just because. So I am assuming that one of two things is happening: 1, they anticipated lower skiers visits but believe that the bottom line will be good (now and/or in the future), or 2, they are shocked by the lower skier visits and are screwed.

2 seems unlikely, no?
    I completely agree with your assessment that they know their numbers and business plans way better than we can speculate. except I'm less sure that 2 is unlikely
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Al said he was really pleased with the lower skier turnout during opening weekend on his blog. I think 2 is unlikely but wouldn't be surprised if next year they up ikon days to 10 or something.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    This weekend down on the front range was absolutely fantastic. Could not have asked for better weather, fucking LOVE this time of year.
    Yes, it’s been amazingly perfect, as always, this time of year. Biking, hiking, climbing, skiing, outdoor drinking, tit watching, etc is on.

I think this is more of a long-term bet that people are willing to pay more for a better experience. It takes a bit of time to get people to pay more for a product that was cheapened for so long. I'd bet that A-Basin passes increase in cost substantially next year.

I don't know if the price will go up significantly; they may just be banking on an increase of pass sales once the improved experience becomes the norm.

*regains normalcy

I don't know if the price will go up significantly; they may just be banking on an increase of pass sales once the improved experience becomes the norm.
    I think this is the play. Loveland has shown that you can make it work with a $400-$500 pass for a "single" area if the experience is good. Abasin has better terrain and far more notoriety. Once people believe that parking/lift lines/snow is going to be better with far fewer visitors, it should have no problem getting profitable at a pass that cost less than Epic/Ikon.

They just got out of a LTR. Maybe they just wanted a year to play the field before jumping into another (hopefully) closer-to-their-liking relationship.
    Should be a great season for those that go. Kinda jealous.

Rode up with a Breck instructor (paid for a tix) who said that VR employees are super pissed that they cannot currently ski at Keystone if they are not working yet. And those who are on the clock, cannot ski on weekends.

First time on the WROD in several years. Another empty day as expected. Going to be a great season!
    Last edited by ColMan; 10-15-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Yes, it’s been amazingly perfect, as always, this time of year. Biking, hiking, climbing, skiing, outdoor drinking, tit watching, etc is on.
    Where can I do this 'tit watching' activity?

Sounds like snow for most all of CO.
    1-2" for lower valleys and 4-10" for higher valleys and mountains.