Page 541 of 1653 FirstFirst ... 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,525 of 41305
    View into a valley near or just north of Jones Pass, from the CDT south of Berthoud...lots of snow in there!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1381256574.849010.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	142380

Nice looking shots from Abasin posted yesterday. They're damn close for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1063%u00255B1%5D.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	142384

More here: http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/

BRING ON THE WROD!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Just got an email with this:

Marc Kloster Silverton Mountain 9/23/2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silverton Mountain 9-23-13.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	142389

Wish I was in that wind drift.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

A Basin middle of next week?

Any of you guys ever make turns up on Ute Pass, between Silverthorne and GMR. I’ve been there plenty of times for a hike and really been intrigued by the terrain there. I’ve never seen any kind of TR or beta from the area.

Lots of cool aspen groves. Faces SW so might be a little sloppy outside of December-mid Feb, but not a bad looking spot.

A Basin middle of next week?
    I think they have a chance for Sat or Sun....Loveland next week
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Has anyone ever heard Loveland talk about how big of a disadvantage they have? Seems like they're being pretty cool sports about the whole thing considering they have twice the terrain to cover.
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

CS, I looked at it several times last year but the coverage was spotty compared to other spots last year. I was looking at a open field that is just above the last 90 degree left turn. Hope to hit it this year....

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Has anyone ever heard Loveland talk about how big of a disadvantage they have? Seems like they're being pretty cool sports about the whole thing considering they have twice the terrain to cover.
    sure loveland does have a longer run on opening day.... But, it is worth noting that most of that "run" is actually catwalk from the chairlift at the top and then catwalk back to the base area.

usually they are both pretty close at opening... and If I recall correctly loveland actually won the race in 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandyoso View Post
    CS, I looked at it several times last year but the coverage was spotty compared to other spots last year. I was looking at a open field that is just above the last 90 degree left turn. Hope to hit it this year....
    Yep, one of many possible zones. The west aspect that drops into the basin from top of Prairie Mtn has always looked really appealing. Of course, last seasons 100” through Feb 1st wasn’t going to cut it for that area.

Shoot a PM when you’re ready to go and I’ll join ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    They also have to open a run at the valley for the race team, which typically opens before the basin opens to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    They also have to open a run at the valley for the race team, which typically opens before the basin opens to the public.
    What is the financial arrangement (is there one?) between loveland and the ski team?

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    What is the financial arrangement (is there one?) between loveland and the ski team?
    There is DEFINITELY a financial arrangement between management and the gate humpers. I've heard figures ranging from $20k-$40k thrown around FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Probably pales in comparison to the financial arrangement A-basin has with VR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Early lift served isn't about the skiing. It's about just being out again for a run or 3 and getting in the groove again.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I use it for getting back into skiing shape - trying to crank turns as hard/fast as I can all day. A lot easier once Keystone/Copper opens in Nov with the longer runs and steeper pitches - especially when it gets a little bumpy in the afternoon.

It's also about the parking lot party...

Early season always feels like cheating to me, after spending the Summer on a bike, having to earn every descent. Still fun running into people you probably won't see all in one place for the rest of the season.

I see CMsummit at Abay every early season...it never fails. Such a good time despite the shit show. Just knowing that it's started again. Seeing ski friends you haven't seen since the spring. Knowing it's about to be full on again. Just such good, positive, energy.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Is this an appropriate time to ask why the hell they open when the skiing sucks, but close when the skiing is awesome? If only Loveland would stay open until mid-to-late May... who the hell cares about skiing on a single run in mid-October?

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Probably pales in comparison to the financial arrangement A-basin has with VR.
    Heh...probably true. And make no mistake, I'm not saying Loveland shouldn't take that money, especially if it keeps the gate humpers in the valley through the early season. They ARE a business after all. Its going to be interesting to see how the expansion plans come to fruition over time. Hope that with the change they remain true to the vibe there currently. Its honestly one of the most friendly places I've ridden in the country. Only other places I'd mention in the same breath are Mt. Baker and Bridger Bowl.

As far as feeling guilty about lift accessed turns, there's always some skinning/rock skiing to be done somewhere.....I mean you did buy all that fancy AT gear for a reason didn't you. But seriously, you know I'm just as leery of thin cover as you, so if nothing else skin tours can allow us to get out and keep tabs on what the snow is doing while getting the bonus of staying in shape for later on when it gets deep and you wanna get that extra lap somewhere you know? Don't get me wrong, you'll see me out on the WROD now and again, but if we keep getting little snows that add up, I'll more likely be looking for places that are going to offer soft turns and less crowds.
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Is this an appropriate time to ask why the hell they open when the skiing sucks, but close when the skiing is awesome? If only Loveland would stay open until mid-to-late May... who the hell cares about skiing on a single run in mid-October?
    Because in the fall, the masses are hungry for skiing again and flock to the hill. In the spring, they are done with it and stop coming.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Because in the fall, the masses are hungry for skiing again and flock to the hill. In the spring, they are done with it and stop coming.
    QFT. I'll say it again: It is a business after all.
    the-one-track-mind

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Not just "the masses", as in, not just the gapers. Lots of hardcore skiers are also hardcore bikers (or some other sport) and are so excited for the beginning of the "new" season. Every seasonal rental I've been in on, filled with serious weekend warriors, is packed in December and empty in April and sometimes even March.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^The Fall transition is easier than Spring IMO. My favorite local trail already has some snow on it, and may become unrideable after the next storm. Most Springs, the same trail is still snow covered (at least in places) a month after Loveland closes.

I suppose I could go ride down the hill during those transition times, or just hone my bitching skills here...

pbourdon; I only bought a touring set-up because I'm a gear-whore, and so I can beep in the bar.
    Kidding! I'll join you for some dirty skins as soon as the novelty of opening week wears off.