Page 990 of 990 FirstFirst ... 985 986 987 988 989 990
Results 24,726 to 24,729 of 24729
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    People just need to wait till spring this year. Snowpack everywhere seems "F'ed in the A".

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I dug a 2m pit today, and didn't hit ground until 260cm. All but the top 20cm was finger hardness or more. Granted, I don't dig a lot of pits, but that's never happened before. What a strange season. Wind transport is crazy.
    This is one reason pits are of dubious value - especially single pits - I bet 300í away there was 50cm with 1/2 of it depth hoar.

Digging a pit in the one huge wind drift wonít tell you anything other than whatís happening in that one wind drift.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    This is one reason pits are of dubious value - especially single pits - I bet 300í away there was 50cm with 1/2 of it depth hoar.
    TGR Forums
    I generally agree, and spatial variability is one of a few reasons I don't dig often. If I dig more than a hand pit, it happens at the end of the day after the skiing is done. This allows me to get some global snowpack info on a zone, and remove pit interpretation from that day's decision-making process completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Digging a pit in the one huge wind drift wonít tell you anything other than whatís happening in that one wind drift.
    TGR Forums
    In this case, the entire zone is the "one huge wind drift" and given that multiple probe locations on differing elevations and aspects produced notably similar data, I think it's reasonable to extrapolate some basic but useful assumptions. Far from "won't tell you anything" IMO.

#weather

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I generally agree, and spatial variability is one of a few reasons I don't dig often. If I dig more than a hand pit, it happens at the end of the day after the skiing is done. This allows me to get some global snowpack info on a zone, and remove pit interpretation from that day's decision-making process completely.

In this case, the entire zone is the "one huge wind drift" and given that multiple probe locations on differing elevations and aspects produced notably similar data, I think it's reasonable to extrapolate some basic but useful assumptions. Far from "won't tell you anything" IMO.

#weather
    Uh. Sort of. There are the couple big open drifts then a few pockets in the trees. Some of it is low angle and then there are some smaller steeper pockets.

Pit data canít hurt unless you start extrapolating it broadly when itís only limited in reference - ie start think itís all 2m deep and solid underneath.

But I wouldnít know 1st hand this year as I am on injured reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.