Page 1251 of 1271 FirstFirst ... 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 ... LastLast
Results 31,251 to 31,275 of 31769
    USFS not fucking around. Just closed all National Forest land in Clear Creek, Gilpin, Boulder, and Latimer Counties.

Yep. Just posted on wildfire thread too

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/n...d=FSEPRD831612

Moose out front shoulda told ya!
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. –Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Moose out front shoulda told ya!
    well done.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

guess we'll see a few more people than normal in summit this weekend

Smart move on the natl forests. Maybe this storm (and hopefully more to follow) will cut the ban short before the current Nov 15. Selfishly, I need to find a new patch in Oct to keep my streak alive...

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    guess we'll see a few more people than normal in summit this weekend
    probably. then lots of posts in the I-70 thread on Sunday when the storm hits as they drive home.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    probably. then lots of posts in the I-70 thread on Sunday when the storm hits as they drive home.
    It shall be the perfect shit show!

Im flying into Denver on sat and heading over to Montrose then back to Denver on Monday evening what kind of shitshow will I be in for on the way back? Or will that be over Sunday evening?

fire bans really don't do shit, and unfortunately, it's not just tourists. last summer (or the year before, I can't remember) I was camping way up in the backcountry in an area that tourists don't seem to know about and it requires a high clearance 4x4 with a locking diff to reach. I passed a few folks on the way up, all CO plates. There was a full state fire ban on. I was freezing my ass off even with down and base layers on, but didn't build a fire. From my high alpine campsite, I could see 4 or 5 fires on the road I had driven to get there, and one group was shooting fireworks. infuriating.

That said, I'm not rich and don't have a sprinter or some portable camping heater. If I'm camping and if there's no fire ban on, I'm 100% going to have a fire, and it's not because of instagram. It's warm and nice and gives me something to do before bed. It also seems to calm my dog down at night, for some reason. She gets really antsy and stressed after dark without, unless she's in the car. But I'm also not building fires in straw fields or where the wind might blow the sparks into one.

anyway, hope some precip helps a bit with the fires. and ya know, some snow so we can ski.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    Im flying into Denver on sat and heading over to Montrose then back to Denver on Monday evening what kind of shitshow will I be in for on the way back? Or will that be over Sunday evening?
    You'll probably want to just stay at the airport for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    fire bans really don't do shit, and unfortunately, it's not just tourists. last summer (or the year before, I can't remember) I was camping way up in the backcountry in an area that tourists don't seem to know about and it requires a high clearance 4x4 with a locking diff to reach. I passed a few folks on the way up, all CO plates. There was a full state fire ban on. I was freezing my ass off even with down and base layers on, but didn't build a fire. From my high alpine campsite, I could see 4 or 5 fires on the road I had driven to get there, and one group was shooting fireworks. infuriating.

That said, I'm not rich and don't have a sprinter or some portable camping heater. If I'm camping and if there's no fire ban on, I'm 100% going to have a fire, and it's not because of instagram. It's warm and nice and gives me something to do before bed. It also seems to calm my dog down at night, for some reason. She gets really antsy and stressed after dark without, unless she's in the car. But I'm also not building fires in straw fields or where the wind might blow the sparks into one.

anyway, hope some precip helps a bit with the fires. and ya know, some snow so we can ski.
    Propane campfires aren't crazy expensive and are worth every penny in a fire ban. It is also possible that some of those fires you saw were propane. In August I was at a campground and fires weren't allowed, and when I walked up the road a bit and looked down at our site, it sure looked like we had a campfire.

A little far out to know the forecast. But Monday is bound to be better than Sunday. The roads may not be great, it may be a shitshow, but it likely won't be an epic shitshow.

^^Yep. Have a feeling those will be the new normal. They're pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You'll probably want to just stay at the airport for the duration.
    Sounds like a plan...I would rather be coming to go skiing not just along to spend $$$

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Propane campfires aren't crazy expensive and are worth every penny in a fire ban. It is also possible that some of those fires you saw were propane. In August I was at a campground and fires weren't allowed, and when I walked up the road a bit and looked down at our site, it sure looked like we had a campfire.
    I saw the fire rings in the morning on the way out. There were definitely real fires. and real fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I saw the fire rings in the morning on the way out. There were definitely real fires. and real fireworks.
    You were #trippinballz ?

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    ^^Yep. Have a feeling those will be the new normal. They're pretty great.
    Used ours a few time this summer/fall. Will be put in the van for ski lots use as well.

I think you'll be fine, but just check before you leave Montrose that 70 is open/not a shit show. If it is you can go the other way (50-->285), the roads may not be any better but less likely to be a shitshow if slideoffs, boats, and rvs.

I agree to make sure and check google maps before leaving. But from Montrose, I think 50/285 is a little faster than I-70 under normal conditions.

I don't understand.

E troublesome going on a run this afternoon. Pretty scary trajectory...view from Granby about an hour agoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0061.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	700.0 KB 
ID:	344354

Troublesome smoke from SW metro...

Guessing you're renting a car at the airport? You should be fine. If I were you, I'd spring for the fun Camaro/Mustang RWD option and take the scenic route over the high passes.

But seriously, hope for the best and expect the worst.

Have you looked into just flying into GJT?

Flights are really cheap and you’d save a shitload of windshield time.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Troublesome smoke from SW metro...
    We're sitting right under the southern edge of that (I live in Niwot), and it was crazy to see the skies tonight. To the south it was crystal clear blue, and to the north it looks like a huge storm... but it's all smoke.