Page 1239 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 ... LastLast
Results 30,951 to 30,975 of 41291
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    No lines to speak of in Aspen or Snowmass. More dogs than I’ve ever seen though.

it's colorado you buy a dog cause you need to let them out of the back yard twice and year and stroll them around a mountain town

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    My friend told me the line today to get on the Breck gondola extended like 200’ into the north parking lot after snaking it’s way around and around in the normal queue. What a shitshow. Nice sampling of this winter’s coming shitshow.
    I'm a ten minute walk to the gondola and wouldn't have a clue that every gaper was looking for a free ride haven't left my house since friday night either some days you just have to let them have it

this snow talk is just the robbie katz pr machine at work to boost pass sales
    bets on how they do a live shot at genesee pumping the hype with a foot of snow while it's sunny and dry in breck tomorrow evening?

Did anybody lose a water purifier thingy, on the Divide in the East Portal area? I found one just off Radiobeacon peak. Let me know if ya lost it, will try to get it back to you.

Pretty lovely up there. Pretty not lovely (or at least not good for breathing) when I returned to the flatlands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4919.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	339217

Worst air quality I've ever seen here....Purple Air has the current AQI at 213 and rising. I'm a mile east of Main St. and can't see the ski area. This polar vortex can't come soon enough!
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Worst air quality I've ever seen here....Purple Air has the current AQI at 213 and rising. I'm a mile east of Main St. and can't see the ski area. This polar vortex can't come soon enough!
    Where do ya keep the cigarettes?? Hahah

Name:	64100B11-8ADB-4C87-9172-4BD354BD7924.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	512.0 KB 
ID:	339219

Fritz Sperry warning:

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest a collective AVALANCHE WARNING beginning Tuesday Morning and Ending Thursday night. Currently, we are in a low hazard with the remaining snow from last season locked in place. Once the storm snow accumulates substantially we will be at least a CONSIDERABLE Hazard Rating if not a HIGH Hazard Rating, in the alpine, and at least a MODERATE hazard rating Below Treeline. It is too early to comment on aspects since there will be variance in wind loading. So be suspicious of all aspects.

In some areas, the snow forecast map is showing expected snowfall in the white and purple, that means 35-40+ inches of accumulation. Those totals are deep enough to bury on their own, but the forecast is also showing HEAVY wind, so transport should be expected as well. This will amplify depths in leeward accumulation zones, as well as build slabs during the storm. Wind transport can double, triple or even quadruple snow depth under favorable conditions and in a much shorter time than snowfall alone.

I advise people to stay away from routes with old snow, this will be a perfect bed surface for slides to fail on, most are steep enough for initiation and while they are short on vertical, once the momentum of the slide gets going they will take a victim thru talus at the bottom, this type of terrain trap won't necessarily increase your likelihood for burial, but will inflict trauma.

I advise people to stay away from slopes over 30 degrees until stability can be accurately assessed. Use extreme caution if venturing into the alpine. I would advise finding mellow <30 degree, grassy slopes to recreate on, with no threat from above. It may be September but bring your avalanche gear, transceiver, shovel and probe. Since the snowpack will not be very deep yet and the potential bed surface will be ground your airbag flotation device will likely be an ineffective tool should you get slid. Do not be lulled into complacency by the date, this storm is shaping up to be very serious.

The forecast totals do not factor in the potential for even greater snowfall amounts, due to the amplification of airborne particulates from the numerous fires burning around the state, this could be a considerably strong factor to consider around RMNP especially. We call snow infused with dust storm particle "snirt", perhaps this fire amplified snow should be called "snash"?

I really hope people will show some restraint over the next few days. It seems people have a pent up need from the madness of the COVID lockdowns. If you see people about to make poor decisions please make the effort to communicate with them about their choices.

I come to this forecast using the concepts of the Dangerator Tool a tool designed to help people forecast for zones without a forecast. The tool is designed to be used in winter conditions so I've made a few modifications. Since we are starting at Low I'm looking at the critical new load as being the cause of raising the danger one level, additionally with the wind factor adding another level. To me a foot of new snow should usually result in an increase in hazard rating, since this mass is enough to cause an increased consequence. With 3-4' of new load how does that affect the consequences?

https://www.avalanche.ca/dangerator
    Thanks go to Seth Linden for forecast analysis.

Feel free to copy and share.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Apparently they cancelled Marty Coniglio on 9 news. Hoping for a cute replacement

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    All weather on-air talent should be hot ass. Good for ratings. Good for society. Good for weather.

So far rain and sleet in the city. Love the moisture

35 and windy in silverthorne. Just real unpleasant.

Flakes in the city this morning on my run. Now just wind and sleet. Feels rad.

Wife already got the chili for dinner tonight started.

We've gotten about 3 flakes total in Breck. After the hottest August on record and the worst wildfire smoke I've ever experienced, this cool down is glorious.
    Old's Cool.

Headed to the high country to "escape" the shitshow of weather over Labor Day... all was well until the smoke REALLY moved in overnight Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShelfLake1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	339338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SquareTop1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	339339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SquareTop2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	339340  

Doesn’t look like much is sticking even at ABasin.

Wake me when the Berthoud Snotel hits 12"...

Fritz Sperry warning:
    I'm going to start referring to the size of upcoming storms on a 1-10 scale based on the chance of a Fritz Sperry Facebook rant.

"Looks like this one is going to be about an 8 Sperry"

Seems like a big dud. All mist in Denver now. Have the foothills gotten more than a couple of inches?

Seeing first flakes in Eagle Co

Just started snowing in Breck about 10 minutes ago.......
    Old's Cool.

About 3-4 inches of wet snow at our house in the Fort Collins foothills. Couldn’t have come at a more ideal time. The Cameron Peak Fire had us packed up and ready to roll last night. I hope this gives those guys a break and a chance to get on top of it.

Seems like a big dud. All mist in Denver now. Have the foothills gotten more than a couple of inches?
    according to Seth's weather report, the heavy stuff wasn't supposed to start down here until late afternoon today.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    according to Seth's weather report, the heavy stuff wasn't supposed to start down here until late afternoon today.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Carl Spackler's voice was in my head as I typed my last post.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Name:	62129462366__4E5E2F32-31E4-467F-88D1-DB41E850F93A.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	339377

Coming down pretty good here in Gunnison. I’m guessing I will have a shit load of broken branches to deal with.

Edit to add an up to date photo

Name:	62129547298__9B127E5B-156A-4792-B33A-AFC4ACAE7095.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	339378

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Carl Spackler's voice was in my head as I typed my last post.

nuking in breck easy foot by morning

The struggle is real in the PRB. Hope the snowplow comes soon.

Name:	IMG_20200908_172137.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	339379