Page 1501 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 ... LastLast
Results 37,501 to 37,525 of 41294
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Nah. I do a leaf peeping jeep tour for seniors every year, the last two weeks of Sept is usually dead nuts peak foliage. The 25th is often late at higher elevations.
    Sweet. Glad to be wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Re: Rogers Pass Trail

I don't know what your itinerary is (where are you starting and where are you trying to go) but the quickest route back to tree line will almost definitely be downhill towards Rollins Pass Road. Don't overthink it.
    You guys deliver!

Not getting that Far East.
    Park City-Aspen-Ridgeway-Moab-Park City
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Nah. I do a leaf peeping jeep tour for seniors every year, the last two weeks of Sept is usually dead nuts peak foliage. The 25th is often late at higher elevations.
    I think he's saying that it has been wetter (and less smokey) this year so the leaves might change later and hang on longer. No idea if there's any truth to that, but maybe. It isn't that predictable, definitely different every year by a week or two either direction. This season has definitely been different than the last few. Interesting to see how that effects the foliage.

Late or Early, either way Fred is gonna complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    You guys deliver!

Not getting that Far East.
    Park City-Aspen-Ridgeway-Moab-Park City
    Yeah, if you are considering going to the San Juan's in September, my advice is disregard hiking pointers for the Front Range in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I think he's saying that it has been wetter (and less smokey) this year so the leaves might change later and hang on longer. No idea if there's any truth to that, but maybe. It isn't that predictable, definitely different every year by a week or two either direction. This season has definitely been different than the last few. Interesting to see how that effects the foliage.
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking. But looking at seasonal precip maps looks like the San Juans haven't got nearly what central and northern CO mountains have this year. Honestly only been down that way two falls as I'm a franger.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking. But looking at seasonal precip maps looks like the San Juans haven't got nearly what central and northern CO mountains have this year. Honestly only been down that way two falls as I'm a franger.
    Uh what? This has been the rainiest summer down here in recent memory, even considering last year was above average. Its going to be a fantastic fall foliage season as long as the we don't get some freak winter storm that blows all the leaves off during the second week of September.

leaves? if I want to see pretty leaves I'm goto upstate ny this fall its like joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat shit
    seeing some piss yellow leaves for a week or so in colroado is kinda lame

anyone going mushroom hunting?

I'm so sick of working all the time about ready to smoke a bowl and go wander around in the rain

and just when I was thinking everyone in colorado gave up on the outdoors this thread is back alive nice to know ya'll didn't move to mantana this summer like everyone else if I go shopping at rei is that like the same as going on a hike or recreating outdoors in colorado?

10/11/2014 in Telluride. Best peepin' I've ever seen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1180.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	424256

It's been many years since I lived in the SW, but your location shows as Aspen, are you talking about the San Juans? Because the 25th is probably a good average date for around places like Kenosha Pass, but location matter a lot, my understanding is that the southern parts of the state are around a week later.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    As I recall, most of those bailout options have some scree but are okay to travel without technical gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Most of those cirques on the east side are pretty steep - probably doable without technical gear, but it'll be pretty steep and sketchy scree and at best not very fun. Generally down along the subtle ridgelines that extend east between cirques should be pretty reasonable. There's certainly ways to bail east but you can't necessarily just go straight down wherever you want.
    Well we got some weather but no Tstorms by the time I got down. Threatened the whole time but no thunder. i see what you guys are saying. I ended up giving an extra night to bail west to that road if needed.

Got some clouds tho.

Early am:

Name:	IMG_3746.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	424323

There is a cairn there somewhere.

Name:	IMG_3745.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	424325

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's been many years since I lived in the SW, but your location shows as Aspen, are you talking about the San Juans? Because the 25th is probably a good average date for around places like Kenosha Pass, but location matter a lot, my understanding is that the southern parts of the state are around a week later.
    Fair. Also didn't consider all the precip could push it later. Either way last week of Sept you'll be seeing some sick colors even if it's not full peak.

The amount of precip we've been getting and we could get a lot fungus this year to.

RFV usually starts the second week of September and goes to early October. I remember a few years that we were almost done by Sept. 25th and others it was 75 in Aspen and it was just getting going.
    Early snow storms are always a factor.
    RFV also has Aspen groves from 11,500' to 5,000' in elevation and a month + in peak timing.

San Juans are usually 1-2 weeks later in general, see comments on elevation and winter storms.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Just did a nice loop at Buff Creek. I’ve never ridden it when it’s been so green and so tacky (for BC).

Name:	IMG_5438.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	262.0 KB 
ID:	424449

Seth has a good fall colors forecast for Colorado up now: https://m.facebook.com/groups/212623...6340345452465/
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Spent most of last week in the San Juans. The weather chased us from the Weminuche after a couple three days of backpacking (too much tarp time and threatening weather to get where we wanted to go beyond the protection of tree line) so we did some car camping and bounced down some roads Ala Creede to Lake City. Tons of open spots to set up and not many people. Reminded me of 20 years ago.

All hail a real monsoon season. Still surprising how dry the ground was down low. Shows how fucked things are.

Thursday we had a flash 24 hour window of glorious Colorado sunshine to get high so we rolled out of our sleeping bags at 5 am and made it up Redcloud. 12 year old unfortunately vetoed the double over to Sunshine. Nice easy climb and mostly we were alone. Like 5 cars in the parking lot. Perfect consolation prize for our denied backcountry goal. Mother nature having the last word as usual and by dinner time the sky was booming up valley yet again.

Big ups to snowaddict, his wife, and dogs for having a couple beers with us Friday on his way through and giving my stepson some pointers (we left him behind sans car to live large in Gunnison for a semester or two).

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-23-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Rad photo and TR.

Just spent a month in Texas - while it was great to spend time with my son (military) and fam, it is SO D@MN GOOD to be home. Over 100f every single day vs burrowing under down bedding with the window open.

I'm feeling antsy to ski and it's another week before I can even buy a 4 pack (or midweek maybe) at Loveland. Pass prices are not getting any cheaper. Anybody working at a ski hill, is it kinda normal again? I quit with covid, but thinking about going back this season.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Big ups to snowaddict, his wife, and dogs for having a couple beers with us Friday on his way through and giving my stepson some pointers (we left him behind sans car to live large in Gunnison for a semester or two).

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    If your stepson needs something while in college,shoot me a message, my wife’s a professor there so we may be able to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Cool Telee, what a place to work, appreciate it. One of my besties who is from here and a life long friend/ski partner/travel companion lives over the pass in Salida so we do have help close.

Of all the times I have been in Gunnison I had never taken the time to really walk and tour the campus. Such a cool place. Stoke meter pegged for my stepson.

Weminuche am view from near our campsite at about 10,900. Beautiful, sadly beetle kill has browned up the view and placed widow makers everywhere. When we came out early (had food for five nights) there was only one other car at the trailhead and they were likely just fishing nearby.

Name:	20220816-IMG_4052.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	424633
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-24-2022 at 01:44 PM.

Are there any hot springs along highway 40 from the UT border to steamboat, or on highway 9 between there and summit county? We're driving from SLC to Keystone by way of Steamboat this weekend (and thought it could be a fun surprise for GF's birthday on Sunday.

strawberry outside of steamboat
    hot sulphur 15 - 20 min detour from kremtucky

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Are there any hot springs along highway 40 from the UT border to steamboat, or on highway 9 between there and summit county? We're driving from SLC to Keystone by way of Steamboat this weekend (and thought it could be a fun surprise for GF's birthday on Sunday.
    Radium hot springs.

Nice, made a reservation at strawberry for saturday night

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Nice, made a reservation at strawberry for saturday night
    The clothes might come off at night there?