Page 1112 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 ... LastLast
Results 27,776 to 27,800 of 41291
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    A-Basin isn't independently owned. They might not be part of a ski megacorp, but they are 100% owned by a multibillion dollar real estate corp.

Hoping for an Abasin Loveland Monarch pass
    How great would that be? Since I'm dreaming, how about 3 days each at Targhee & Bridger ;-)

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    How great would that be? Since I'm dreaming, how about 3 days each at Targhee & Bridger ;-)

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    But without the 200 lodging requirement at targhee
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

A-Basin isn't independently owned. They might not be part of a ski megacorp, but they are 100% owned by a multibillion dollar real estate corp.
    Prediction: A-Basin splits with Vail.. real estate owners realize there are NO real estate opportunities for A-Basin... A-Basin is purchased by Alterra.

You heard it here first!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Prediction: A-Basin splits with Vail.. real estate owners realize there are NO real estate opportunities for A-Basin... A-Basin is purchased by Alterra.

You heard it here first!

there are plenty of real estate opportunities at the basin
    dirty land swaps are a constant in summit county
    developers buy up in holdings then trade the land for high dollar parcels next to the ski area, the trades are not even equal in value, it happens and will continue
    because the resorts own the forest service and every government entity in summit is hell bent on growth and development it could easily happen
    they just put a new "restaurant" at the top of the basin what the fuck is that all about
    next will be a small hotel at the top so you can listen to the wind howl all night the the aframe will get demo'd and a new "lodge" will get built with hotel rooms, then it all goes down hill from there
    anything is possible in summit county you just need to jerk the right person off

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Next last swap will be Vail swapping who-knows-what-parcel for the USFS land in the Keystone Montezuma Lot (the big gondola free lot) so they can make it pay parking (that is why it didn't go pay this year).

next will be a small hotel at the top so you can listen to the wind howl all night the the aframe will get demo'd and a new "lodge" will get built with hotel rooms
    Nah.... 12,500ft is no place for flatlanders or even frangers to sleep. Too much altitude illness. People struggle and end up in the ER from VRBOing on Hoosier Pass (Northstar Village) and that's only ~11,250ft. Maybe a little hotel in the base area with a parking garage?

It is pretty funny that they are serving booze at 12.5K' where the only way down is to ski down a crowded groomer.

there are plenty of real estate opportunities at the basin
    developers buy up in holdings then trade the land for high dollar parcels next to the ski area, the trades are not even equal in value, it happens and will continue
    because the resorts own the forest service and every government entity in summit is hell bent on growth and development it could easily happen
    they just put a new "restaurant" at the top of the basin what the fuck is that all about
    next will be a small hotel at the top so you can listen to the wind howl all night the the aframe will get demo'd and a new "lodge" will get built with hotel rooms, then it all goes down hill from there
    anything is possible in summit county you just need to jerk the right person off
    I guess I should have stated there are no realistically *viable* real estate opportunities at the Basin. If there were... you can bet someone would have gotten the hand job by now.

Next last swap will be Vail swapping who-knows-what-parcel for the USFS land in the Keystone Montezuma Lot (the big gondola free lot) so they can make it pay parking (that is why it didn't go pay this year).

Nah.... 12,500ft is no place for flatlanders or even frangers to sleep. Too much altitude illness. People struggle and end up in the ER from VRBOing on Hoosier Pass (Northstar Village) and that's only ~11,250ft. Maybe a little hotel in the base area with a parking garage?

Have you driven behind ski tip lodge? That place is fucked, they turned down the lift back there a couple years ago. I bet it gets built in ten years or less. I won't name names but the people developing it are the biggest scuz balls in summit. They pretty much jerked off a bunch of commisioners and got their way, it was pretty stupid in my book

I'm laughing at your 12k comment, so true so true. People don't think about those things at all. I don't know how people live up there and why or even buy a second home up there.

Have you driven behind ski tip lodge? That place is fucked, they turned down the lift back there a couple years ago. I bet it gets built in ten years or less. I won't name names but the people developing it are the biggest scuz balls in summit. They pretty much jerked off a bunch of commisioners and got their way, it was pretty stupid in my book
    Nope whats the deal back there? I knew they turned down that lift and that was suicide just as it was suicide for Lakeside when they didn't put in a lift 30 years ago. Base area dev / frontside capacity are still priority over say the lift to the bowls and catskiing north america.

Scummit county level politics are permafuct. Maybe not quite Breck level fuct...

Returning to our regularly scheduled programming.... snow looks to be good in the SW... and getting better thru the weekend.

auvgeek and I are considering a silly-long road trip from Denver to Durango... collective knowledge if anyone's done this sort of thing would be appreciated.
    I have to give a presentation at my office 5-6pm on Thurs and it may snow enough to make driving over Wolf Creek Pass a bad idea late Thurs night so we were thinking...

6pm-11pm, drive Lakewood to Ridgeway, spend night in Ridgeway Thurs night
    Fri AM ski at Purgatory (estimating about 2 hr drive ridgeway to Purgatory, so leave around 6:30am)
    Stay in Durango Fri night/ Sat night
    Sun AM ski either Purgatory, Wolf Creek, or Monarch
    Arrive back in Denver LATE Sun night tired and happy

We could also sleep in our vehicle but I've had a little bit of a cold and would probably appreciate the ability to take a hot shower somewhere other than Ouray Hot Springs

/end blog
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

I just drove wolfcreek silverton last wednesday and came back sunday. Red mountain pass actually closed for around a day. 160 over Wolfcreek pass is the way to go. The road is wider easier to maintain. Take your shower in pagosa.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by jesski View Post
    Returning to our regularly scheduled programming.... snow looks to be good in the SW... and getting better thru the weekend.

auvgeek and I are considering a silly-long road trip from Denver to Durango... collective knowledge if anyone's done this sort of thing would be appreciated.
    I have to give a presentation at my office 5-6pm on Thurs and it may snow enough to make driving over Wolf Creek Pass a bad idea late Thurs night so we were thinking...

6pm-11pm, drive Lakewood to Ridgeway, spend night in Ridgeway Thurs night
    Fri AM ski at Purgatory (estimating about 2 hr drive ridgeway to Purgatory, so leave around 6:30am)
    Stay in Durango Fri night/ Sat night
    Sun AM ski either Purgatory, Wolf Creek, or Monarch
    Arrive back in Denver LATE Sun night tired and happy

We could also sleep in our vehicle but I've had a little bit of a cold and would probably appreciate the ability to take a hot shower somewhere other than Ouray Hot Springs

/end blog
    Why wouldn't you drive and stay in South Fork on Thursday night instead of Ridgeway? Closer. Cheap options. And you could also make the call as to whether you could make it over Wolf Creek (which is way less gnarly than Red Mt, Molas, Coal Bank). Would also give you the option to ski Wolf Creek on Friday.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Why wouldn't you drive and stay in South Fork on Thursday night instead of Ridgeway? Closer. Cheap options. And you could also make the call as to whether you could make it over Wolf Creek (which is way less gnarly than Red Mt, Molas, Coal Bank). Would also give you the option to ski Wolf Creek on Friday.
    Because Wolf Creek is over rated and all the places in South Fork are dumps.
    off your knees Louie

I guess I was thinking this system-- on Thurs night-- was going to pound Wolf Creek Pass but not necessarily hit Red Mtn Pass or Coal Bank Pass as hard... but looks like that's not necessarily true

I mean really today/ now would be the best time to drive
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Because Wolf Creek is over rated and all the places in South Fork are dumps.
    While these are both true, Danno's advice is spot-on.

In other news, disneyland has half the mountain closed because it's a bit brisk. Sure, 21 is a cold lift, but go fuck yourself Vail.

Isn't the upper part of Breck closed also?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    While these are both true, Danno's advice is spot-on.
    exactly. wouldn't argue with BFD's assessment either! But I have stayed in those dumps more than once.

And I'd take Wolf Creek Pass even with 3 times the snow of Red Mountain/Molas/Coal Bank.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    exactly. wouldn't argue with BFD's assessment either! But I have stayed in those dumps more than once.
    Me too - and they're not even that bad once you've got a bunch of liquor in ya. The other bonus staying in SF is that the east side of Wolf Creek almost NEVER closes due to avy work. So if you get lucky, the west side will close for work, and you'll have a bit of a "country club" day at Woof Crik!

Just drove over red pass, clear road now but storm on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    It is pretty funny that they are serving booze at 12.5K' where the only way down is to ski down a crowded groomer.
    Isn’t that what they do at Cloud 9? Pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Isn’t that what they do at Cloud 9? Pretty awesome.
    No idea where cloud 9 is. But I think there should be an unofficial basin bar crawl in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    No idea where cloud 9 is. But I think there should be an unofficial basin bar crawl in the near future.
    It’s the place on Ajax where people buy $250 bottles of champagne then shake and spray them on each other

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mt_wilson View Post
    It’s the place on Ajax where people buy $250 bottles of champagne then shake and spray them on each other

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Actually Highlands. I do think they can snowcat you down if you’re plastered.

https://youtu.be/pM4cNMASgi8

Yes, Highlands. And yes they will put you on the snowcat if you're too hammered to ski down. It's at 10.8k though not 12.5