Page 1132 of 1642 FirstFirst ... 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 ... LastLast
Results 28,276 to 28,300 of 41032
    Didn't somebody get ripped in Frisco? Forget who.
    https://www.summitdaily.com/news/bre...wboard-thefts/
    Breckenridge police makes arrest after string of ski and snowboard thefts

The Breckenridge Police Department has made an arrest following a month-long investigation into a series of ski and snowboard thefts in the town.

On Tuesday morning the police department executed a search warrant on the 100 block of Atlantic Lode Road in Breckenridge. Officers recovered 10 snowboards, 10 pairs of skis, six pairs of snowboard bindings, three helmets, 13 sets of goggles, eight pairs of gloves, a bag of ski “skins” and some poles. It is currently believed the thefts took place in the area of Peak 9 at Breckenridge Ski Resort.

A 32-year-old man was subsequently taken into custody, though the police department hasn’t released the name of the suspect as the investigation is ongoing at this time.
    The Breckenridge Police Department is asking anyone who believes they may be a victim, or who has additional information on the case, to reach out to the department at 970-453-2941.

Quote Originally Posted by mt_wilson View Post
    God bless. Also love people that moved here 15 months ago saying “Colorado’s full.”
    Same goes for people that moved here 15 YEARS ago saying that.

Or 30 years ago.

Or even natives saying that.

It's all NIMBY horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Or 30 years ago.

Agree. Go to any other big metro area and the Front Range still feels small. Enough of the entitled territorial assholes. You want less crowds? Fucking move to WY. It’s empty.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Agree. Go to any other big metro area and the Front Range still feels small. Enough of the entitled territorial assholes. You want less crowds? Fucking move to WY. It’s empty.
    Or eastern Montana... or western Kansas... or North Dakota... shit - even NW Colorado is FUCKING EMPTY.

I mean... there's a reason for all that. But if it's people gettin' you down - GTFO.

Or eastern Montana... or western Kansas... or North Dakota... shit - even NW Colorado is FUCKING EMPTY.

I mean... there's a reason for all that. But if it's people gettin' you down - GTFO.
    Working on it. I need an IKON pass for my plan to work. Anyone wanna over pay for a house in the 80478? Its all the range, everyone in Denver is doing it. The HOA requires a dog (or kid) named Bridger, a Tundra or Forerunner and the ability to work remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Working on it. I need an IKON pass for my plan to work. Anyone wanna over pay for a house in the 80478? Its all the range, everyone in Denver is doing it. The HOA requires a dog (or kid) named Bridger, a Tundra or Forerunner and the ability to work remote.
    Oh, the name Aspen or Jackson is passé?

Why would anyone name a kid aTundra?

Forerunner is kinda cool though. "Have you met my son, Forerunner Jamison Smith?"

Working on it. I need an IKON pass for my plan to work. Anyone wanna over pay for a house in the 80478?
    Fuck no. That place is way too crowded.

CAIC making it out to be a coin flip is a little concerning:

If you do chose to move into steeper terrain, you need to understand that the weak layers are buried so deeply that you will not see signs of instability such as cracking or collapsing. Snowpack tests will give you little meaningful feedback. There is no way to tell if a slope is safe right now. The decision to ride in avalanche terrain near and above treeline comes down to your risk tolerance. Know that if you trigger an avalanche it will break deep, will break across terrain features, will run to the valley floor, and will most likely be unsurvivable.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The way I read that is "Stay the fuck off the steep shit up high." Which seems like good advice.

YOU can buy an IKON pass online at their website https://www.ikonpass.com

A trip to Europe will cure that "CO is overcrowded" thing. Most of the Alps are something like 12x the population density of CO and they all fucking ski. Which is why there are all these cool lifts and huts and day passes are $50, but it's a pretty major challenge to get away from other people

The way I read that is "Stay the fuck off the steep shit up high." Which seems like good advice.
    For those not on Facebook. They posted this today. Massive.

“Photo is an historic avalanche near Snowmass in the Aspen Backcountry Zone from 3/14/19 (the entire avalanche is too large to fit in the frame on this platform)

The Deep Persistent Slab avalanche problem along with its high consequence / low probability scenario is hard to forecast, hard to detect, and hard to survive if triggered. This is the highlighted avalanche character in most backcountry zones across Colorado. In this situation feedback is low and uncertainty is high. Avoiding avalanche terrain where you have the slightest suspicion of deep persistent slabs is our key travel advice in the current snowpack set-up in the Colorado backcountry. We need to be mindful of slope connectivity, other adjacent or nearby people, and the magnitude of possible avalanches.

The winter weather and the snowpack’s structure are in constant flux and we need to continually adjust the way we manage terrain and make our decisions. The denser snow that we received in early March is plastered into steeper slopes and we saw crowns higher up in the terrain than usual. This amazing photo from Art Burrows of an avalanche estimated to be around 3 miles wide reminds us of the potential destructive energy that exists in the snowpack and illustrates, in many ways, the altered and reshaped winter landscape. “

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2591.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	840.4 KB 
ID:	274979

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Didn't somebody get ripped in Frisco? Forget who.
    https://www.summitdaily.com/news/bre...wboard-thefts/
    Breckenridge police makes arrest after string of ski and snowboard thefts

The Breckenridge Police Department has made an arrest following a month-long investigation into a series of ski and snowboard thefts in the town.

On Tuesday morning the police department executed a search warrant on the 100 block of Atlantic Lode Road in Breckenridge. Officers recovered 10 snowboards, 10 pairs of skis, six pairs of snowboard bindings, three helmets, 13 sets of goggles, eight pairs of gloves, a bag of ski “skins” and some poles. It is currently believed the thefts took place in the area of Peak 9 at Breckenridge Ski Resort.

A 32-year-old man was subsequently taken into custody, though the police department hasn’t released the name of the suspect as the investigation is ongoing at this time.
    The Breckenridge Police Department is asking anyone who believes they may be a victim, or who has additional information on the case, to reach out to the department at 970-453-2941.
    That was me, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    For those not on Facebook. They posted this today. Massive.

“Photo is an historic avalanche near Snowmass in the Aspen Backcountry Zone from 3/14/19 (the entire avalanche is too large to fit in the frame on this platform)

The Deep Persistent Slab avalanche problem along with its high consequence / low probability scenario is hard to forecast, hard to detect, and hard to survive if triggered. This is the highlighted avalanche character in most backcountry zones across Colorado. In this situation feedback is low and uncertainty is high. Avoiding avalanche terrain where you have the slightest suspicion of deep persistent slabs is our key travel advice in the current snowpack set-up in the Colorado backcountry. We need to be mindful of slope connectivity, other adjacent or nearby people, and the magnitude of possible avalanches.

The winter weather and the snowpack’s structure are in constant flux and we need to continually adjust the way we manage terrain and make our decisions. The denser snow that we received in early March is plastered into steeper slopes and we saw crowns higher up in the terrain than usual. This amazing photo from Art Burrows of an avalanche estimated to be around 3 miles wide reminds us of the potential destructive energy that exists in the snowpack and illustrates, in many ways, the altered and reshaped winter landscape. “

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2591.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	840.4 KB 
ID:	274979

That is the best photo of that I've seen. And it's shocking.

That slide is directly in your face when you unload the six pack at the Snowmass ski area. Quite a sight to behold.

And I thought that the Highland Ridge avalanche was big... holy shit.

Absolutely unreal shot!

Were some ballsy tracks on Berthoud in Hells Half Acre and the east face of Russell on Sunday. Guess they have a different risk tolerances than I.

Sent from my SM-G965U using TGR Forums mobile app

Or 30 years ago.

When somebody gets all high and mighty on being a "native" I like to ask them what tribe they are from.

A large number of skiers I've talked to in Colorado the last few weeks have exclaimed how they plan to move to my area of the state that I reside in (tucked in-between Canada, Idaho, Wyoming, and the Dakotas), sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by FringeLife View Post
    A large number of skiers I've talked to in Colorado the last few weeks have exclaimed how they plan to move to my area of the state that I reside in (tucked in-between Canada, Idaho, Wyoming, and the Dakotas), sigh.
    Which tribe are you from?

Sent from my SM-G965U using TGR Forums mobile app

When's the next refresh? I feel we've been spoiled this season. Also props to everyone skiing the east wall at the basin. Nothin' like a little hikey hike for some fresh avvy debris, rocks, and chopped crust.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

If you do chose to move into steeper terrain, you need to understand that the weak layers are buried so deeply that you will not see signs of instability such as cracking or collapsing. Snowpack tests will give you little meaningful feedback. There is no way to tell if a slope is safe right now. The decision to ride in avalanche terrain near and above treeline comes down to your risk tolerance. Know that if you trigger an avalanche it will break deep, will break across terrain features, will run to the valley floor, and will most likely be unsurvivable.
    They neutered it a little bit today, but yesterday's Forecast Discussion was unusually blunt. Emphasis added is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CAIC
    I want to reiterate what we mean about traveling on slopes below avalanche runnouts. Overhead hazard is something you should always be aware of, but particularly at times like this when the avalanche will be very-large or historic in size. Avalanches have been running to the valley bottoms and a large avalanche triggered above you can easily overrun you and there will be little you can do to escape. Your best option to reduce this risk is to stay completely out of avalanche runout zones. This means not traveling in areas where there are other parties above you, not playing or resting in avalanche runouts, and not traveling under ridgelines or in avalanche runouts if there are large cornices above you. If an avalanche breaks above you weather from cornice fall or from another group the avalanche will likely run well into below treeline areas even into thick timber. No one can tell you for sure if a slope is safe or not right now, digging and looking will not help. You are rolling the dice. The conservative decision, and the one most CAIC forecasters would make right now, is to completely avoid travel on or under avalanche terrain. We would avoid areas even in thick timber where there are large avalanche starting zones above, and steer clear of places where other riders are above us. I can't make decisions in the backcountry for you. That is up to you and your partner's, but I hope I painted a clearer picture of what is going on at the moment and the problems we are trying to communicate.

Or 30 years ago.

Truth

The true scary moderate on all aspects.