Page 1079 of 1642 FirstFirst ... 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 ... LastLast
Results 26,951 to 26,975 of 41032
    ^^But we're only like 12.265% above average. Not that great I've heard
    Last edited by Soups; 12-07-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Highlands is opening up terrain prior to their actually typical opening date for the resort..... I'll look into the numbers in a bit, but this is a great start, and definitely above average on the hill.. We're probably JUST at or above average down low though....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    No, it's been above average.....at least around here. As of late, since snowfall has tapered, the numbers are trending toward average.....but the start to the season has most definitely been above average. Many of the mountains around Summit and Eagle have had their earliest terrain openings ever......that doesn't happen in an average start to the season. Post/username FAIL.
    Breck has been pretty good, that's true, but the other area's not so much. I remember back early 2000's one of the opening days in mid November at A-basin was 100% open terrain, now THAT was all time. Right now A-basin is still only at about 40% open, and Pali has more sharks than something else that has a lot of sharks. I just think it's interesting how everyone's expectations have lowered because the last 10 years have been pretty terrible for skiing in Colorado, so that now that in Dec we are at 112% of snowpack, which while above average statistically speaking, is much closer to average than above, everyone is all bro brah all time conditions look at the sick gnar pow pow on my instagram facebook twitter post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Breck has been pretty good, that's true, but the other area's not so much. I remember back early 2000's one of the opening days in mid November at A-basin was 100% open terrain, now THAT was all time. Right now A-basin is still only at about 40% open, and Pali has more sharks than something else that has a lot of sharks. I just think it's interesting how everyone's expectations have lowered because the last 10 years have been pretty terrible for skiing in Colorado, so that now that in Dec we are at 112% of snowpack, which while above average statistically speaking, is much closer to average than above, everyone is all bro brah all time conditions look at the sick gnar pow pow on my instagram facebook twitter post.
    Except the areas that you're talking about aren't at 112% of snowpack - that is statewide. In the N and E of the state, the pack is 25-45% above normal. Loveland has 135"+ YTD. That is way above average for them.

Early 2000's they didn't have Zuma or Beavers in their boundary. So 100% was actually far less than what is open today. I skied there today, it was good, you should try it.

I've been skiing there since the mid 90's and this early season is in the top 3 of my memory. They have gotten more liberal with openings in the last few years which is awesome. I could care less about hitting rocks, that's part of skiing the basin. I have a few tune shops on retainer and multiple skis and boards to alternate through.

But keep being a debbie downer. We'll be out skiing with a smile on our faces. Maybe you are just experiencing FOMO from Social Media. Turn that shit off and go ski, you'll feel better.

No shit guy. Keep fucking that chicken.

now that in Dec we are at 112% of snowpack, which while above average statistically speaking, is much closer to average than above, everyone is all bro brah all time conditions look at the sick gnar pow pow on my instagram facebook twitter post.
    Yeah, 112% STATEWIDE.

Here is the SWE percent of MEDIAN (median isn't exactly average, but damn close to it) of some SNOTEL sites 'around here'......
    Hoosier Pass - 145%
    Freemont Pass - 159%
    Grizzly Peak - 184%
    Berthoud Pass - 145%
    Copper Mtn - 159%
    https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports...=select+a+year

Go ski dude....it's good out there....
    Old's Cool.

I remember sometime in the 90's it would dump every nite, getting shit faced day after day at shamus's, blow jobs, waking and baking, and skiing every fucking day
    no one was counting shit or worrying about what one day to the next was like or even thinking about last year or next year
    we just called it skiing and it was ok for your ski clothes to smell like shit, puke, alcohol, and cigarettes

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    we just called it skiing and it was ok for your ski clothes to smell like shit, puke, alcohol, and cigarettes
    Wait is that not OK now?
    Granted mine only smell like alcohol and two stroke

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I remember sometime in the 90's it would dump every nite
    I can remember fondly calling the Steamboat snow-line in January of... '96 maybe? Fuck - it was something like a foot every night for two weeks or some shit. Rabbit Ears was closed more often than not...

The guy recording the snow line was a funny fucker, though.

Good times...

Right now A-basin is still only at about 40% open, and Pali has more sharks than something else that has a lot of sharks.
    my lord. stick the the groomers bud

I have ski lesson for 4 year old question:

I was going to put my boy in a multiweek program at Eldora for the sake of convenience, but:
    A) I don't want to ski at Eldora,
    B) A friend with a five year old who did the program last year told me it was a waste of time for kids who are ready for more than their miniscule magic carpet, and that the staff didn't seem to give a shit. Same friend had high praise for Winter Park ski school for the same kid.
    C) Eldora's announcement yesterday that they're going to charge for parking on the weekend makes me even more happy to spend my money elsewhere.

So I'll put the money I budgeted toward the Eldora program to some day lessons elsewhere. Probably on some Fridays. Which mountains will do a good job with a kid who is too short to get on a lift by himself, but can ski for 3-4 hours straight, handle some blue runs, and suddenly thinks he's too rad for the magic carpet (although there is plenty he could still learn there)? This is a kid who responds better to a challenge than to instructions. I'm not expecting the world, just want him to have a great day.

We have IKON base and Keystone/Abasin passes. Is Eldora the only spot that screws this up so badly? I strongly prefer skiing Abasin. How do they do with small children? Would I be better off dropping him at Keystone and shuttling myself up to Abasin?

Thanks

I'm stuck skiing a lot of Eldora this year, but I was really happy with Winter Park ski school the last few years. Tons of beginner terrain of varying pitch, too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Would I be better off dropping him at Keystone and shuttling myself up to Abasin?

Thanks
    Do you get cell service at the Basin? If not, not sure if that's a good idea.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Do the keystone program for the kid, but just ski at keystone, you could even do a couple of runs after the lesson together.

Is Eldora charging for parking this weekend?

Also, where can you pick up hitchhikers on the way up?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post

Someone mentioned on the thread in the General Ski forum that there's an RTD stop on 5th and Canyon - pick up riders there possibly.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Not charging this weekend. I think they start charging next weekend. I might be up to carpool. The challenge with little ones is start and end times are unpredictable.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 12-09-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    That's a good point. I had some coverage with ATT, but switched to google fi.

I was going to put my boy in a multiweek program at Eldora for the sake of convenience, but:
    B) A friend with a five year old who did the program last year told me it was a waste of time for kids who are ready for more than their miniscule magic carpet, and that the staff didn't seem to give a shit. Same friend had high praise for Winter Park ski school for the same kid.
    C) Eldora's announcement yesterday that they're going to charge for parking on the weekend makes me even more happy to spend my money elsewhere.

So I'll put the money I budgeted toward the Eldora program to some day lessons elsewhere. Probably on some Fridays. Which mountains will do a good job with a kid who is too short to get on a lift by himself, but can ski for 3-4 hours straight, handle some blue runs, and suddenly thinks he's too rad for the magic carpet (although there is plenty he could still learn there)? This is a kid who responds better to a challenge than to instructions. I'm not expecting the world, just want him to have a great day.

We have IKON base and Keystone/Abasin passes. Is Eldora the only spot that screws this up so badly? I strongly prefer skiing Abasin. How do they do with small children? Would I be better off dropping him at Keystone and shuttling myself up to Abasin?

Thanks
    Had almost same situation last year with our little guys, 5.5 and 4 at the time. They basically got private lessons at a basin bc the staff recognized they could ride the lift and link turns despite needing help getting on the lift. Boys could ski some blues after that day and we got to ski the basin while they learned those skills. Would highly recommend. And that 4pack makes it very affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks
    Basin has a 50% off first lesson deal. He also skis free all the time there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5035.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	259231

Light snow falling at a basin this morning

Wanker Park voted best ski area in NA!!

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/...b265ZP2lZW2wYQ

"After failing to make the list last year, Winter Park Resort beat out other Colorado resorts Copper Mountain, which came in fifth, and Telluride, which came in tenth."

I can think of maybe 50 other ski areas I'd rather visit. Now biking in the summer otoh...

I learned the hard way about picking up someone around Ned. Guy lived in a cabin without water or electric. He smelled of sawdust, two stoke, pot, and BO. It took some work to get the odor out of my car