Page 1480 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 ... LastLast
Results 36,976 to 37,000 of 41287
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I feel like there a secret spot on the way to WP that starts with a B and sounds like "Merthod". Some people of mediocre-fitness even shuttle the runs with motorized vehicles.

Of course Butler is there and an easy skin as well. I mean, are you looking for something outside of those three options?
    it's the time of year when some things are good and others aren't. I haven't skied once on Berthoud (or Butler or Jones) this year, and have never skied any of them in mid-May. Springtime adds elements like "how much of the approach (or descent) is melted out and requires hiking", "is the top elevation high enough to get to good corn", etc. And I'm not a regular skier of any of those, have no idea what would be a good objective right now (would love to get to a peak of some kind, not just the top of a skiable slope). So a simple answer of "Berthoud, dummy" isn't exactly what I was looking for, was hoping for a little more detail from someone in the know.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Have you skied North Chute -> XYZ on Berthoud? That's a fun one.

Left Silverton on the 1st for a trip. By the time I get back on the 16th spring skiing season will already be over. Insanity how quickly things melted out down south. One month ago I was skiing over 4k runs of pow.

Skiing A-Basin on Sunday before heading back tho. Hoping for good conditions and maybe some East Wall still? It's been like 5+ years since I skied there.

Maybe? I have skied Floral (1x), Hell's (a few), 7 mile (1x), 80s/90s (a few), Hidden Knoll (1x), maybe something else, but I'm not a regular skier there at all (almost all of my bc skiing is done on hut trips and I've never been to Broome).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Maybe something different. Kelso?

I think that Kelso is a great idea. It looked good on the drive by on Monday.

I’m no pro or bro, but I can’t think of anything I’d want to ski at BP right now. CAIC is ringing the alarms about cornices and the lines I enjoy at BP are done or near a pretty big cornice.

Yeah, I think Kelso is our current plan for Sunday, thanks for confirming it's a decent idea (I've never skied it).

Will be skiing the Jane on Saturday if anyone is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Maybe something different. Kelso?
    Kelso is a nice spot for easy access spring powder, but I find it aesthetically unappealing (until you're at the top, where it is pretty awesome) and just steep enough that a "mediocre-fitness backcountry skier" might find the skinning tricky.

You'd need to walk on a dirt trail for a while, but I've skied the East face of Machebeuf pretty late. That's a nice spring line for intermediate skiers with really cool views.

East face of James peak (with some walking at the beginning and the flat section in the middle) could be good. Great setting with easy skiing.

Sundance Mountain off Trail Ridge road (the road isn't open yet, but it probably will be pretty soon).

Oh, I wouldn’t skin Kelso. It’s too steep when frozen. Axe (more often Whippet these days) and crampons for me. Ski boots from the truck.

I like the flexibility that Kelso offers with early light and lower angles on the skiers left and steeper, later lines skiers right.

The crux of the route is the stream crossing right next to the road. I slipped on a frozen log there once and was concerned that I may drown for about 30 seconds. Maybe bring a ladder?

Get dropped off and hit dave's wave, then rip some soft groomers and have a beer at the beach.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

from pics I have seen and stuff I gleaned from other sources, booting up the skier's right/scoured side (ie no crampons) seems like a viable option, is it not?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelso_Overview_North.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	892.1 KB 
ID:	416264

Don’t know what the driving difference is for you but the snowpack around Cameron Pass is probably better than most of the rest of the state. Lake Agnes and Montgomery Bowl are good, pretty low risk areas that have skied well. If the Thursday night/Friday night freezes are ok then Saturday morning might be a good time to go after some of the diamond peaks routes. But I wouldn’t go near anything with a big cornice once things warm back up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

from pics I have seen and stuff I gleaned from other sources, booting up the skier's right/scoured side (ie no crampons) seems like a viable option, is it not?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelso_Overview_North.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	892.1 KB 
ID:	416264
    The comfiest way up the upper half is with crampons for sure. You can zig zag your way up without having to front point, making it a relatively easy hike. Going without crampons could be pretty spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    The comfiest way up the upper half is with crampons for sure. You can zig zag your way up without having to front point, making it a relatively easy hike. Going without crampons could be pretty spicy.
    I'm talking about booting up the dirt, is that not a possibility? It's not like I am asking for options to avoid using my crampons, I don't own crampons. The old Front Range Descents book made that seem like an option.

you should go bowling
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Most of Kelso is skinnable in spring conditions, IME -- only the last part is steep enough to warrant ski crampons or booting.

When I drove by a week and a half ago, it didn't look in that great a condition, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm talking about booting up the dirt, is that not a possibility?
    Don't know. Haven't tried it there. Sometimes steep dirt is pretty cooperative. Sometimes it's hard and slippery. Sometimes it's loose and unsupportive. I'd be happy to lend you crampons. Don't know if they would fit tele boots.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    Most of Kelso is skinnable in spring conditions, IME -- only the last part is steep enough to warrant ski crampons or booting.

When I drove by a week and a half ago, it didn't look in that great a condition, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Don't know. Haven't tried it there. Sometimes steep dirt is pretty cooperative. Sometimes it's hard and slippery. Sometimes it's loose and unsupportive. I'd be happy to lend you crampons. Don't know if they would fit tele boots.
    Thanks y'all. We'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I do imagine that crampons would fit NTN boots, but my buddy won't have any in any event so I appreciate the offer but we'll be fine. We'll ascend whatever way makes sense, and if we can't go any further, we'll go back down.

Thanks y'all. We'll give it a whirl and see what happens.
    Ridge is pretty rocky but supportive from my recollection. Was in Stevens Gulch today and Kelso looked pretty smoove to me. Doesn't go all the way to the creek but close enough.

You could go hit the Ridge at Loveland. Best conditions all year and of course, it’s closed.

The Jane is skiing well if anyone's curious. Needle's Eye just worked me.

Guessing next weekend will be it, based on the bare patches.

Anything in the front range holding white snow? Things are so brown around the elks and san juans.

Danno, Thanks for the status. Going tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Danno, Thanks for the status. Going tomorrow

Word of caution: stop at every headwall if you don't know what's on the other side. There's some big brown patches!

Mashed potatoes everywhere! But not super sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    Anything in the front range holding white snow? Things are so brown around the elks and san juans.

Yes, not as brown up here. A light layer of dust has emerged.