Page 910 of 913 FirstFirst ... 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 LastLast
Results 22,726 to 22,750 of 22805
  1. #22726
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,045
    Jesus H.

    I remember skiing a late season powder day like this in the mid 90s at A-basin and there was fucking no-one. Like 10 of us on the whole place. Times change

    #goskiingwithyourfriends(all 10,000 of them) #coloradogoesbigtime #movebacktomiddleamericaplease #hashtags are lame
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  2. #22727
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aloft
    Posts
    2,744
    Was this today and how was it not posted here?? Hahaha

    Name:  Screenshot_20170519-121153.png
Views: 450
Size:  413.7 KB

  3. #22728
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Jesus H.

    I remember skiing a late season powder day like this in the mid 90s at A-basin and there was fucking no-one. Like 10 of us on the whole place. Times change

    #goskiingwithyourfriends(all 10,000 of them) #coloradogoesbigtime #movebacktomiddleamericaplease #hashtags are lame
    Still lots of those days... Posted pics of one from a couple of weeks ago. I think yesterday was one of them. But today was not... lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  4. #22729
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    4,024

    Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Was this today and how was it not posted here?? Hahaha

    Name:  Screenshot_20170519-121153.png
Views: 450
Size:  413.7 KB
    How is that real? Jerry for sure.

    We need to convince places like Breck and Loveland to stay open later. What a shitshow at ABasin.

  5. #22730
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aloft
    Posts
    2,744
    LL will most likely never stay open passed early May. I guees it's in their lease with the USFS and I guess it's a different office since they are in Clear Creek County, more strict. It's due to their migration corridor since they are the largest land bridge along I-70 due to the tunnel.

  6. #22731
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    57
    Hey mags, looking for some snow advice for those more knowledgeable than I.

    Would you ski A-Basin Saturday or Sunday this weekend if you had to pick one? Saturday has the crowds, but I'm afraid it might be cement slush Sunday as it warms up (39 high).

  7. #22732
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Still lots of those days... Posted pics of one from a couple of weeks ago. I think yesterday was one of them. But today was not... lol...
    Yeah, maybe some other areas were still open? Back when I'm talking about they didn't have the Epic passes and what not. Now you have a LOT of people who have Abasin rights and its the only game in town.

    Quote Originally Posted by realjwin View Post
    Hey mags, looking for some snow advice for those more knowledgeable than I.

    Would you ski A-Basin Saturday or Sunday this weekend if you had to pick one? Saturday has the crowds, but I'm afraid it might be cement slush Sunday as it warms up (39 high).
    I think that you just answered your own question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  8. #22733
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,385
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    How is that real? Jerry for sure.

    We need to convince places like Breck and Loveland to stay open later. What a shitshow at ABasin.
    Every now and then, someone gets drunk enough that they can be convinced to try to jump the wall... Seems like usually not until closing day though...

    #PROGRESSTHESPORT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Yeah, maybe some other areas were still open? Back when I'm talking about they didn't have the Epic passes and what not. Now you have a LOT of people who have Abasin rights and its the only game in town.
    Pretty sure the day I'm referring to was after all the big resorts closed - would have been just AB and LL... And no one was at LL. But also, that was a Thursday and there wasn't a huge storm beforehand - just seven or eight consecutive 2"-6" days. Lately, I haven't even been going on Fridays... Kicking myself for not having just dropped what I was doing yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  9. #22734
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Jesus H.

    I remember skiing a late season powder day like this in the mid 90s at A-basin and there was fucking no-one. Like 10 of us on the whole place.
    Was this the MONSTER May storm that was kinda upside down? I remember some monster May dump back in the 90's and we were skiing Pali on skinny skis in fucking TRAPDOOR shit.

    People were SENDING the big rocks off International... it was impressive.

  10. #22735
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The Ranch
    Posts
    3,536
    I skied A basin this spring and there were very few people on the mountain, never waited in any lift lines, it was a saturday too and it was super fun. It's not complicated.

  11. #22736
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Was this the MONSTER May storm that was kinda upside down? I remember some monster May dump back in the 90's and we were skiing Pali on skinny skis in fucking TRAPDOOR shit.

    People were SENDING the big rocks off International... it was impressive.
    I remember a few of those days. There was this one year (94 or 95?) when it just puked from April until June. I had access to some discount pass or something and went up a number of times. One I remember was in June - 3' of heavy powder but I had picked up these heli skiing skis at like 100 underfoot that everyone thought were clown skis back then and would snicker at on the lifts but they worked like magic in that heavy powder while everyone else had skinny skis and were tip diving all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  12. #22737
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Golden/Breckenridge
    Posts
    5,075

    Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Yeah, maybe some other areas were still open? Back when I'm talking about they didn't have the Epic passes and what not. Now you have a LOT of people who have Abasin rights and its the only game in town.
    Nah, it was 2 Wednesdays ago. I had my own personal East Wall line that day. Patrol put in one track, the rest (all 6) were mine. Definitely empty, definitely awesome. It wasn't 2 feet, but it skied about the same as today (unless you're into the whole 'slash for the camera' shit that everyone posts these days).

    Was at the lift line around 830 (parked around 745-800?) and it wasn't that bad at all honestly. Lift lines were pretty reasonable for the most part. Zuma cornice was awesomeness - impossible to send the cornice with too much speed hah. Pillowedlandings for sure. So much fun. Got North Pole right when it opened. After that was the first real lift line I was in all day. Did one more hike and called it. Finished up with some LL pass southside laps. Great day.


  13. #22738
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    681
    Are N aspects staying cold? Everything I skied in dry gulch this afternoon was hot PNW pow. No complaints, but curious if everything got hot or if there's blower to be had...

  14. #22739
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Beer:30
    Posts
    4,806
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Are N aspects staying cold? Everything I skied in dry gulch this afternoon was hot PNW pow. No complaints, but curious if everything got hot or if there's blower to be had...
    Dude, it's late May.

  15. #22740
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    LL will most likely never stay open passed early May. I guees it's in their lease with the USFS and I guess it's a different office since they are in Clear Creek County, more strict. It's due to their migration corridor since they are the largest land bridge along I-70 due to the tunnel.
    I've heard the migration excuse is bullshit. If ski areas didn't spend so much and work so hard to open the WROD they could postpone opening until Dec or at least Thanksgiving weekend and keep interest through May and into June.

    People were smarter back in the good old days.

  16. #22741
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,748
    There is a lot of whining lately considering that this is the biggest latest storm many can remember in the last 20 years.

    a. Your life and and your timing are your problem. With all the webcam and telemetry, if you can't figure out what roads/weather/snow are like...no sympathy.

    b. The ski areas challenge late/post season is revenue plain and simple. Months of great spring skiing go by with walk on chairs. The last day the Jane was open, the skiing was great. There were about 50 cars in the parking lot when the chairs stopped spinning for the year. Passholders sitting on the tailgate drinking beers does not pay the bills. There is plenty the ski areas could do to address this but they don't so here we are.

    c. I'm glad all the E(very) P(rick) I(n) C(olorado) pass holders have somewhere to go. Berthoud used to be a lot busier late season when the lift riders had no where to go.

    d. Remember when...yeah...that ship has sailed...we got a thread for that. I remember when there was a ski area that had great terrain and the most snow around that couldn't get enough skiers to pay $10 a ticket to stay open. I remember when that ski area closed the last time and we'd snowmobile shuttle everything with no one around. I remember with you used to be able to buy a spring pass to A-Basin. We'd ski in the morning, kayak in the afternoon and camp in the parking lot. When there was concrete to be poured and framing to be done, our boss used to drive over from Parshall and tell us it was time to go to work.

    e. I wish it were spring all the time. Too much to do not enough time.

  17. #22742
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    671
    What he said ^^^

    every punter is headed to Abay today and they all call it abay even though it's no where near any water, they all think if they get up early and head their early they'll score. But the sad thing everyone who wants to slay some chewed up sierra cement powder only to say they skied two feet of fresh on facebook will sadly be disappointed but hey it'll look rad to your friends back home

    can we start a new thread, I remember when................. colorado was cooler and so was I

  18. #22743
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    gnArvada
    Posts
    2,124

    Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    ^^Holy shit balls. Wow, that's close to "come back at noon" territory.
    Buddy who sent it said he skinned River Run and it was way better ! I sacrificed myself (you're welcome guys) and worked in CA this week and will say that mid may is an A+time to visit San Francisco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    LL will most likely never stay open passed early May. I guees it's in their lease with the USFS and I guess it's a different office since they are in Clear Creek County, more strict. It's due to their migration corridor since they are the largest land bridge along I-70 due to the tunnel.
    Yes, thank goodness the great May migration of elk over the 12,600' divide can get underway.

  19. #22744
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Dude, it's late May.
    True, but I skied blower (OK, maybe not Champagne pow TM Steamboat Resorts) in early may, and mid may, and now I want it in June, July, and August. I've got a dream maaaaan. Climate change, it's gonna solve all of our problems.
    Last edited by North; 05-20-2017 at 08:21 AM.

  20. #22745
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    2,578
    Federal judge halts Village at Wolf Creek land swap

    https://durangoherald.com/articles/1...it_nosession=1

    "Jimbo Buickerood of the San Juan Citizens Alliance said Matsch’s strongly-worded decision recognizes the passion residents expressed for the protection of Wolf Creek Pass.

    “This victory represents the power of all of us to work together for the benefit of wild places, watersheds and wildlife habitat – the people’s voice has been heard,” Buickerood said. “We appreciate the diligence that Judge Matsch brought to the legal case in thoroughly examining the record that highlighted the shortcomings of the NEPA process and the pummeling that the environment would take should the project be approved.” "

    developers could appeal
    My Company: Made in Colorado Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT16'

  21. #22746
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    14,488
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    Federal judge halts Village at Wolf Creek land swap

    https://durangoherald.com/articles/1...it_nosession=1

    "Jimbo Buickerood of the San Juan Citizens Alliance said Matsch’s strongly-worded decision recognizes the passion residents expressed for the protection of Wolf Creek Pass.

    “This victory represents the power of all of us to work together for the benefit of wild places, watersheds and wildlife habitat – the people’s voice has been heard,” Buickerood said. “We appreciate the diligence that Judge Matsch brought to the legal case in thoroughly examining the record that highlighted the shortcomings of the NEPA process and the pummeling that the environment would take should the project be approved.” "

    developers could appeal
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  22. #22747
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    768
    Any one have any idea how close to the James Peak Lake Trailhead one can get in a stock 4runner?

  23. #22748
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,748
    If you didn't enjoy the last 4 days #youdontknowhowtocolorado

    Some of the deepest turns of the year Thursday evening, show face and get some work don't Friday and go kiting after that, ski up high early Saturday in the weather window, slay some office and get some chores done mid-day, drive to the Ark Valley get in some playboating Saturday night, campout below some caked 14ers, paddle miles of IV today, shower and eat a pizza.

    #ilovemudseason

  24. #22749
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Beer:30
    Posts
    4,806
    We bailed today because we failed at a) waking up early b) remembering all our shit c) vehicle selection for unplowed FS roads considering recent events d) being fast e) trip planning and logistics in general.
    Plus, a bit too much recent winter for the lack of winter today.

    Oh well. Ain't never a bad day to take a walk in the hills. Still got a few turns.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1063.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	206671

  25. #22750
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    3,646
    ^^Looks super fun, anyway.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

Similar Threads

  1. Up to the Minute Colorado Backcountry Weather Conditions
    By AzureAbyss in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 10:16 PM
  2. anti jinx, anti jinx, anti jinx thread
    By Benny Profane in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:34 PM
  3. The Colorado crew STOKE thread.
    By Blurred Elevens in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 11:16 PM
  4. a REPLY without a thread...
    By Endlessseason in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 08:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •