Page 1145 of 1147 FirstFirst ... 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 LastLast
Results 28,601 to 28,625 of 28664
    Has anyone been to the Opus hut in the last few weeks?
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Yeah, and everyone I know is so "Over it" that they're driving 1-2 hrs to go ride bikes. Love it. Yesterday was one of the funnest slush days I've had in a long time. Almost as good as a good pow day.
    Love it too. Great turns and it was empty today. Peak 7 and Imperial were $$

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6632.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	393.5 KB 
ID:	282351

Name:	72E00CA2-D08B-4900-96D2-404B370A51E1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	282352
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 05-13-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Saw this online..just a bit of snow on top of Indy Pass

Name:	IMG_6637.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	282553

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Love it too. Great turns and it was empty today. Peak 7 and Imperial were $$

Name:	IMG_6632.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	393.5 KB 
ID:	282351

Name:	72E00CA2-D08B-4900-96D2-404B370A51E1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	282352
    Shit, that reminds me that I should get over to Breck before they close. I think I have close to 80 days at the Basin, skiing mostly one lift. Thanks for reminding me that I still have another option for the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Shit, that reminds me that I should get over to Breck before they close. I think I have close to 80 days at the Basin, skiing mostly one lift. Thanks for reminding me that I still have another option for the next few weeks.
    How do you keep it interesting skiing Molly Hogan for 80 days?

How do you keep it interesting skiing Molly Hogan for 80 days?
    Switch to the road bra!

What’s a road bra? Does it support the sides?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anybody out touring today and care to share snowpack observations?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Skied in the James Peak wilderness. Snow was like heavy mash potatoes with the occasional loose wet.

Good day in the alpine even with bad snow.

Hoping to go skiing on Saturday. Looking like I might get a nice helping of coral reef.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Skied Silver Couloir with auvgeek and a non-mag friend. Weak freeze up high, no freeze down low. Skiers left side, which gets more direct sun, was sketchy down low. Sloppy everywhere. Exit was kind of a bitch. Fun day.

Name:	Bskin.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	415.3 KB 
ID:	282772

Name:	Bskin2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	282773

Name:	SC.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	879.9 KB 
ID:	282774

Name:	SC2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	282776

It's a nice long line, but a good bit less steep, I think, than descriptions I've read. Would be fantastic with a few inches of spring pow.

Should get interested with no real good freeze before this next snow that'll insulate the slush underneath. Lots of wet slides this week.

From the forecasts I have seen, not a lot of snow is expected, so I was thinking things will freeze. :shrug:
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Skied Silver Couloir with auvgeek and a non-mag friend. Weak freeze up high, no freeze down low. Skiers left side, which gets more direct sun, was sketchy down low. Sloppy everywhere. Exit was kind of a bitch. Fun day.

It's a nice long line, but a good bit less steep, I think, than descriptions I've read. Would be fantastic with a few inches of spring pow.
    The exit is always kind of a bitch, but what specifically was the problem?

How steep were you reading? I'd put most of it in the 35 range, maybe a handful of spots higher, but nothing much above 40. That's just going from memory.

There aren't many no-exit couloirs where you describe the snow with "the first 1000' were XXXX, the next 1000' were YYYY, and the last 1000' were ZZZZ". Yeah, it's not gnarly or anything, but it is iconic (with a "c" not a "k").

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The exit is always kind of a bitch, but what specifically was the problem?

How steep were you reading? I'd put most of it in the 35 range, maybe a handful of spots higher, but nothing much above 40. That's just going from memory.

There aren't many no-exit couloirs where you describe the snow with "the first 1000' were XXXX, the next 1000' were YYYY, and the last 1000' were ZZZZ". Yeah, it's not gnarly or anything, but it is iconic (with a "c" not a "k").
    Exit was just rotten, undermined snow in tight trees. Nothing unexpected. Plus lots of competing old tracks, none of which could be trusted, meant GPS was very handy.

I agree with your assessment on pitch. I think it was Brittany and Frank's book that said 40 degree average with max 48.

Still an excellent line. For any former East coast folks, it's a bit like two Hillman's highways stacked in top of each other.

Edit: 40 and 48 are from the Kedrowski book.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 05-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Run-off is on. Saw rafters and kayakers in Clear Creek Canyon today.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    From the forecasts I have seen, not a lot of snow is expected, so I was thinking things will freeze. :shrug:
    This. I suspect a hard freeze Friday night will guarantee some quality coral reef skiing on Saturday.

^^^ Fingers crossed that the freeze line is low enough to settle things down under 11.5k. Probably won't get much radiative cooling. With all the consecutive days of "possible snow showers" I'm hopeful one or two days will over-deliver and provide some nice soft turns.

Run-off is on. Saw rafters and kayakers in Clear Creek Canyon today.
    This^^^^ Got the minimax out on the eagle yesterday for the first time. Whitewater will be $$$ this year...
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Anybody here ever ski around Lone Eagle Cirque in the Indian Peaks? Thinking about spending 2-3 nights up there soon. Curious what the approach/exit is like, specifically how much you stuck to the trails if traveling on snow. Thanks

Friends and I are thinking of a 2 night / 3 day trip with a base camp in the upcoming week or two. Some place with some mild couloirs or big fun faces would be ideal. Not everyone in the group likes/able to ski gnarly lines. Fitness not a problem. Leaning towards Mt Toll drainage. Other recs within a few hours of the Front Range? Don't mind hauling a sled in for a few days of fun.

Anybody here ever ski around Lone Eagle Cirque in the Indian Peaks? Thinking about spending 2-3 nights up there soon. Curious what the approach/exit is like, specifically how much you stuck to the trails if traveling on snow. Thanks
    Monarch Lake>Cascade Creek Trail>Crater Lake Trail

It is an amazing place but it don't come easy

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Friends and I are thinking of a 2 night / 3 day trip with a base camp in the upcoming week or two. Some place with some mild couloirs or big fun faces would be ideal. Not everyone in the group likes/able to ski gnarly lines. Fitness not a problem. Leaning towards Mt Toll drainage. Other recs within a few hours of the Front Range? Don't mind hauling a sled in for a few days of fun.
    The Gore. Meadow Creek Trail Head

4 consecutive nights of of mid to low 20s ought to lock things up...I'm also hopeful that even w/ "an inch or less" each forecast period there are some soft, blown in spots. Or, dust on massive coral reefs.

Seems to me that the later the snow pack the greater the risk that a legit heat wave in early June produces some significant flooding rises. Obviously great for boaters, but I recall last time we had anywhere near this good a year that Georgetown (as one example) almost got blown out w/ runoff!

Lastly, wondering if Independence will open for Memorial....I'm sure I can google my way to some kind of answer, but then what would you all do w/ yourselves?

I agree with your assessment on pitch. I think it was Brittany and Frank's book that said 40 degree average with max 48.

Edit: 40 and 48 are from the Kedrowski book.
    Damn dude, I was like "what did we say?"