And Loveland on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ABasin WROD opens Friday!
    I'll be there Monday!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

This is a longshot, but is anyone both (1) interested in skiing the ABasin WROD on Monday and (2) also caring for a toddler? Interested in alternating parking lot/lodge childcare duties while our kids entertain themselves? I'm hanging out with my three year-old Monday, and though we're getting her on skis this winter I don't think WROD mayhem is the place to start. Would like to get a few turns in though.

LOL

Can't you just put your kid in a cage with water and food? Maybe give them an iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    This is a longshot, but is anyone both (1) interested in skiing the ABasin WROD on Monday and (2) also caring for a toddler? Interested in alternating parking lot/lodge childcare duties while our kids entertain themselves? I'm hanging out with my three year-old Monday, and though we're getting her on skis this winter I don't think WROD mayhem is the place to start. Would like to get a few turns in though.
    Isnít there a TGR daycare by Molly Hogan Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    LOL

Can't you just put your kid in a cage with water and food? Maybe give them an iPad?
    Hmm. My truck topper locks...

1) yes

2) no

Put the kid on your shoulders and let's do this! I usually go the Monday after opening Friday and it's not crowded. See you there?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Iíve got to tell you, asking the internet to watch you toddler in the parking lot is kinda sketch. How does your wife feel about this?

3 years old is plenty old enough to ski. Man up and take him/her out there. Ski behind em and the WROD isnít too bad. Itís not like youíre going to miss out on anything awesome.

Thereís only so many years that your young ones are young. Make the most of them, strangers watching your kids in parking lots donít make memories, skiing makes memories.

Some days it seems like the beach at the basin is just one big daycare/doggie daycare. Just roll with it. I see 10 kids in the back of a pickup playing with 4 furry dogs all the time.

Just wrap 'em up like the kid in Christmas story and they'll be fine.

ETA: I am not a parent!

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I’ve got to tell you, asking the internet to watch you toddler in the parking lot is kinda sketch. How does your wife feel about this?

3 years old is plenty old enough to ski. Man up and take him/her out there. Ski behind em and the WROD isn’t too bad. It’s not like you’re going to miss out on anything awesome.

There’s only so many years that your young ones are young. Make the most of them, strangers watching your kids in parking lots don’t make memories, skiing makes memories.
    Does unloading a bunch of unsolicited parenting advice usually go over well for you?

I know she's old enough to ski. She just hasn't yet, and I'm not nuts about the idea of committing her to 800' or whatever the vert of Black Mountain is. And the intent was that she could hang out with other person's toddler. "Our kids." But anyway...

Does unloading a bunch of unsolicited parenting advice usually go over well for you?

I know she's old enough to ski. She just hasn't yet, and I'm not nuts about the idea of committing her to 800' or whatever the vert of Black Mountain is. And the intent was that she could hang out with other person's toddler. "Our kids." But anyway...
    If you ski Loveland WROD ever and need some eyes, let me know. I've got no kids (just nieces and nephews) but know a few people there in the same situation as you.

Socialization with other kids and adults is great for youngins. Ignore the haters. Source: I work in early childhood.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

I'm not a parent but I wouldn't want to make my kid's first run of their life an icy blue elbow to elbow with 2000 first-run-of-the-year folks who may be drunk/high. They do even put up that "no beginners" sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    3 years old is plenty old enough to ski. Man up and take him/her out there. Ski behind em and the WROD isn’t too bad.
    Since you're into giving unsolicited advice, I'll give some, too: kids develop proprioception at different ages, and some 3 year olds are "plenty old enough to ski" while some are not. Generally, my understanding is that kids are ready to ski when they can do things like give a thumbs up and internally/externally rotate their legs independently. Until then, they're not really ready to learn how to ski, despite their parents putting them in ski school so they can stand on their skis on snow.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

www.instagram.com/auvgeek/

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

No way would I have taken my kid to the ABasin WROD when she was 3. Too many brobrah idiots speeding and flailing all over. Of course your kid will be fine but will you even enjoy the time basically playing defense each run? Try and do the parent trade off at the bottom. Or maybe thereís daycare at the Kidís Center? There is at Loveland.

ABasin is not a good place for kids to learn to ski, period. Especially not now. Don't see why trying to find another parent to trade off with is a bad thing, but it isn't my kid so YMMV.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    ABasin is not a good place for kids to learn to ski, period. Especially not now. Don't see why trying to find another parent to trade off with is a bad thing, but it isn't my kid so YMMV.
    Fo real? I know a ton of kids that were raised on the "Hog" and are great skiers. We just can't agree on anything today Danno! Why don't you take your Uppity Boulder-tude up to Eldora?

Hogan bowl is great learning terrain... just don't forget your beacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I'd be up for this at some point this winter, along with skiing with my boy some. I took my boy on a couple midweek day trips last year (when he was 3) and while I enjoyed the hell out of it, it sure would have been nice to take a few laps by myself too.

Not Monday though. All I do is work right now. And WRODs don't interest me much.

I never brought my daughter when she was a toddler to ski the ABasin WROD......fuck that. Too many idiots.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing ďskinsĒ or ďhike mode.Ē Tell me again how Iím a gaper.
    -mikdes26

anyone got conditions for Wolf Creek? wondering if they have any snow left.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Fo real? I know a ton of kids that were raised on the "Hog" and are great skiers. We just can't agree on anything today Danno! Why don't you take your Uppity Boulder-tude up to Eldora?
    Of course there are plenty of kids who have learned there, that doesn't mean it's a good place to teach them relative to others nearby. Compared to the beginner terrain at other places, it sucks. Before I had a kid, I thought green terrain was green terrain, but that just isn't true, there is a lot of levels of difficulty within that. Add in the fact that the base of the Hogan Bowl is between the main lift and Pali, with skiers cruising by to get to Pali, and you have to stress out every time your kid gets near the bottom, they can't just run it out.

Compared to resorts like Winter Park, that have virtually flat terrain like Discovery Park and then gradations of steeper beginner terrain, with no faster intermediate or expert skiers around, and I stand by my statement. There are many better places on the front range to teach your kid to ski. Loveland, for ex, would be a much better option that's close by.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin