Page 1178 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 ... LastLast
Results 29,426 to 29,450 of 41143
    Hope someone can tell us how good wolf creek is right now

Basin is skiing fun but it needs a foot. Then more, obviously.

Wolfy is being hit with some quality snow these past few days. Yesterday was very nice, with some fresh dry powder. More new snow today, but a little more dense. Additional snowfall anticipated overnight- maybe a foot or so. There's good skiing off of all the lifts. I finished today skiing laps off of Raven, the traditional Texas gaper lift. Absolutely nobody skiing the trees on that side, and there was ample untracked fresh snow for me to pilliage. Did runs off of the Alberta side yesterday and that was nice, too. Tracked out pretty early, but everything was so soft and fluffy. Hiked the Ridge yesterday and it was good. But today, lot's of wind buff coupled with new dense snow. When I left today, it was beginning to storm pretty good. Very windy, too. The Cat to Horseshoe Bowl was supposed to be running later in the day yesterday, but I didn't stick around.

Forecast shows snowing all day tomorrow, but clearing up a bit Sunday. Sunday could be epic, along with Monday, Tuesday, and perhaps Wednesday. A lot of the rocks, stumps, etc. are being covered by the recent dumpage, and just a few spots appear boney.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Sounds great^^
    Copper’s Three Bears chair opened today. Did anyone catch that?

Viva gave a pretty good summation. cat did run last two days. good call on the raven lift. Thumper my go to late afternoon when light is flat or too cold to ride the longer lifts. All i can add is for Christmas wolf creek delivered two feet of powder and an awesome $11 lunch special
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191225_135312.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	307881
    included the cookie.
    Viva I am pretty easy to spot if you want to make some turns. Lime green jacket with sleeve mostly torn off, yellow pants. Grey DPS.
    Touring tomorrow should be as deep as any day I have seen in Japan.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Loving ABasin these days. So quiet!
    Yeah, busiest time of the year and it’s one of the few resorts that isn’t a shitshow.

I was happy to see a ton of folks with tickets hanging off their jackets. Fingers crossed this model works out favorably for them financially so it can continue.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Yeah, busiest time of the year and it’s one of the few resorts that isn’t a shitshow.

I was happy to see a ton of folks with tickets hanging off their jackets. Fingers crossed this model works out favorably for them financially so it can continue.
    That’s a good point, most of the uncrowded resort from my youth don’t even exist anymore but I think there’s enough population now to support alternative models even if it’s through unconventional financial means.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Has anyone seen a packed Colorado resort yet? From out crew’s experience so far skier trips seem down. I waited in a lift line a couple days of opening week. Since then, no lines. Even when parking lots seemed full. It’s bizarre.

So who’s seen crowds?

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Has anyone seen a packed Colorado resort yet? From out crew’s experience so far skier trips seem down. I waited in a lift line a couple days of opening week. Since then, no lines. Even when parking lots seemed full. It’s bizarre.

So who’s seen crowds?
    2 weeks ago in Vail:

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Sounds great^^
    Copper’s Three Bears chair opened today. Did anyone catch that?
    did not but i saw a video my friend sent that looked like a bunch of people waiting for the opening with a speech from from copper president and a safety talk from the patrol director. glad i passed on that whole production. doesn't look like everything is open off there yet, these run names are fucking stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    2 weeks ago in Vail:
    Well alright then. Never mind.

That pic of gondi ONE in Vail sucks balls, but truth is that's just the line-up for first chair. I'll let this forum in on a little secret (which is pretty fucking obvious) --- go to Golden Peak on a powder day for first chair -- oh shit I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post

So who’s seen crowds?
    I'll admit I can't usually even bother to ski here in Breck this time of year but I am allowed to go out for ski breaks so I usually do, this year hasn't been bad. Some long lines at the bottom of peak 8 but T-bar and Imperial have been quite empty with maybe a half of a corral of people at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    did not but i saw a video my friend sent that looked like a bunch of people waiting for the opening with a speech from from copper president and a safety talk from the patrol director. glad i passed on that whole production. doesn't look like everything is open off there yet, these run names are fucking stupid!
    Yeah, why didn’t they just keep the original names?

Are skier visits down? Maybe more people are going to Utah amd other places because of the I70 shitshow?

Aspen resorts were DEAD last weekend by my standards. At Highlands last Saturday I ride a lift at all with anybody else three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    That pic of gondi ONE in Vail sucks balls, but truth is that's just the line-up for first chair. I'll let this forum in on a little secret (which is pretty fucking obvious) --- go to Golden Peak on a powder day for first chair -- oh shit I said it.
    Vail sucks. It's too crowded, no one goes there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Viva I am pretty easy to spot if you want to make some turns. Lime green jacket with sleeve mostly torn off, yellow pants. Grey DPS.
    I'll keep an eye out for ya. Laying low tghis weekend, but will ski Monday-Wed. Maybe one of those days at Purg, but the others at Wolfy.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Ikon base blacked-out till next year. We are truly living in a golden age.
    Skiing on a Saturday? Sure, why not?
    Holiday crowds? What holiday crowds?
    Show up at 10:30am? "Hey wanna park in the lower lot" Sure I guess, how about a beach spot?
    Go into the lodge for lunch? "Hey, you get 15% off with your season pass" Well ok.
    Haven't heard this in a while: "Ugh! What do you mean I have to take my pass out of my pocket?"

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Ikon base blacked-out till next year. We are truly living in a golden age.
    Skiing on a Saturday? Sure, why not?
    Holiday crowds? What holiday crowds?
    Show up at 10:30am? "Hey wanna park in the lower lot" Sure I guess, how about a beach spot?
    Go into the lodge for lunch? "Hey, you get 15% off with your season pass" Well ok.
    Haven't heard this in a while: "Ugh! What do you mean I have to take my pass out of my pocket?"
    That’s good to hear, I’m definitely getting an abasin pass next year, hopefully the model holds up as I love a basin, but I’ll say I haven’t seen any crowds either this year, my take is people are just burnt out from the effort it takes to ski as a front range weekend warrior, I don’t know how people without a second home In The mountains do it.

Fucking cold today. I want my 25 degree powder days back. I could use a break anyhow. Chop some wood to stay warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Hope someone can tell us how good wolf creek is right now.
    Wolf Creek the last couple of days has been some of the deepest inbounds snow I've ever skied. Conditions in the lettered glades (skier's right of Knife Ridge) were the deepest and very few people put in the effort to hike that area. We utilized the snowcat ride on several of these laps once that opened. Compared to the base area, it's a different world on that side of the mountain......not sure I've ever skied Wolf Creek over Xmas break and witnessed the massive influx of Texans, firsthand. The base area was mayhem. Yesterday was particularly tasty.

Name:	PwUcwPN.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	627.4 KB 
ID:	308123

Name:	8P76j8O.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	308128

Name:	UBvmoif.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	308124

Skiing conditions like that too often will "ruin" a person.
    Gotta say.....I'm pretty stoked to be back on a pair of fat Praxis for days like this. Protests FTW.
    Old's Cool.

Damn. Nice pics!

I feel like part of abasin’s marketing this year is to show people they are now a less crowded and more laid back option hoping to grab a portion of people watching from the sidelines this season to get to where they truly want to be.

-48 degrees at Antero Reservoir in South Park this morning.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Wolf Creek the last couple of days has been some of the deepest inbounds snow I've ever skied. Conditions in the lettered glades (skier's right of Knife Ridge) were the deepest and very few people put in the effort to hike that area. We utilized the snowcat ride on several of these laps once that opened. Compared to the base area, it's a different world on that side of the mountain......not sure I've ever skied Wolf Creek over Xmas break and witnessed the massive influx of Texans, firsthand. The base area was mayhem. Yesterday was particularly tasty.

Name:	PwUcwPN.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	627.4 KB 
ID:	308123

Name:	8P76j8O.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	308128

Name:	UBvmoif.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	308124

Skiing conditions like that too often will "ruin" a person.
    Gotta say.....I'm pretty stoked to be back on a pair of fat Praxis for days like this. Protests FTW.
    Wolfie is amazing for these kind of days. Seems “packed” at the base, but so many of the folks are on vacation from “whatever southern state” and never want to venture into the fresh snow at all.

Best start to a season in my shortish memory. The San Juans are going the fuck off right now. I’m bummed to be heading to work in LCC for the rest of the winter.

Great pictures

The peaks and mountains of Western and Central Colorado is due for 6-18 inches over the next 10 days.

A decent long term forecast for the Colorado region:
    https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2019...30th-december/

^^^ So that's looking to me like I should taking my two week vacation to Jackson Hole / Big Sky ~ 1/10-1/24?
    Earlier than expected, but it looks like that's the window.

Timely information, thank you.

PS And fantastic pictures!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...