Page 1388 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 ... LastLast
Results 34,676 to 34,700 of 41290

Thread: Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

^^^ my first day last year was one and done. 6 sleds spotted on the way down, straight to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Some reports saying electrical transformer box or something of the sort...though a careless camper is always a likely offender. Sounds like winds finally dying down tonight.
    Saw that, I stand corrected.

I hope the winds die down and they get a little bit of snow tonight to contain the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    If only they had naturally divided terrain that kept the beginners to the west, intermediates in the middle, and experts to the east. If only....

Early season there was becoming quite the shitshow. Hot shot racers and the plebs trying to hold an edge down an icy Ptarmigan before the demolition derby of Main Vein. With the later date, hopefully they open more terrain and spread everyone out.
    snow making efforts are on terrain park and half pipe for dew tour right now. copper has always put a big effort into getting the first super pipe open in north america but they could hold off on the park a little bit before and even open that run as a regular public run initially. not sure that will be happening now

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Well, A-chair is going to all turn into some fancy resort in the next few years. So I guess there goes the nice little secret parking lot scene w/ a slow double accessing some fun bump runs. Oh well.
    ahhh the A, this reminds me of the first few years of the vol bootpack patrol...i remember early season packing and sidestepping rockin billy goats on unskied - no base - bottomless pow under the nonrunning A lift b4 open to public... our skinny skied tele patroller girls were always yappin...'why you packing with those skis , isnt that heavy, thats a lot of extra work'...3-4' or more of pow with ground as the only base....after some side steppin n packin it was time to ski...i always waved my arm out and said you girls first, first tracks for u, and they were so thankful till they skied about 10-15 feet and fell over...once they were all tipped over, i would let the billy goats go...and go they did...in the ambulance shuttle back for the next work/lap they would be like 'hahaha' we get it now
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Did that one season too. Had some awesome laps in lower forest after digging out snow fences for the traverse and under alpine before either opened. Put in the work but was always rewarded and could learn a bit when you were with the right patrollers.

Quote Originally Posted by CLsurf View Post
    And one that is just a straight shot to the summit? Sounds great to me.
    Summit of Sunshine................it doesn't drop you off where you think you want to be, unless Wally World is actually where you want to be.

On one hand, I hope we don't get enough snow early season for the next little while in sad hopes of them rethinking the new lift over on Pioneer...I'd love a good gut punch to the corporate lackeys who are fucking up this mountain and if they put it off for a few more years until I cash out then I'll be happy.

Sad thing is I bet they still won't be able to have proper lanes for the newly relocated gondy. It's gonna be a shit show of ikonic proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Did that one season too. Had some awesome laps in lower forest after digging out snow fences for the traverse and under alpine before either opened. Put in the work but was always rewarded and could learn a bit when you were with the right patrollers.
    damn i wonder if we did it same time? i did it first 3 seasons and before chris passed away. that lower forest area was one of the good spots too
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Might have been. Believe I did it the season before Chris passed. He worked with a few of my friends in the summers so we hung out a bit, super good dude and definitely who I am largely referring to when I mentioned getting to learn from some of the patrollers.

Wait I’m off a season on that. I did it 15/16

Saw a facebook memory post I made on this day in 2010, at the start of the 10/11 season, saying this is when Tbar opened in breck. I remember it too, it just opened randomly without any notice and was a mighty fine sleeper day for a few of us.

Well it feels a lot more like fire season than ski season. I was working up in the burn yesterday and it was spooky. Wind gusting 60ish...burned out houses in the distance...dusty roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Might have been. Believe I did it the season before Chris passed. He worked with a few of my friends in the summers so we hung out a bit, super good dude and definitely who I am largely referring to when I mentioned getting to learn from some of the patrollers.
    I knew Chris too, good guy, sorry to lose him so early.

I worked park crew for the snowboard park in the 90's. We were always getting early season laps with patrollers. There was a lot of back and forth skier vs snowboard shit talking. All in good fun. One time one of them took us into some "Secret Stash" he knew of. It was the "power lines" that we had been riding for years. He got lost and had to walk out in the dark with a broken binding. He didn't joke about snowboards much after that. haha, good times man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

On one hand, I hope we don't get enough snow early season for the next little while in sad hopes of them rethinking the new lift over on Pioneer...
    I thought they were planning to rely on snowmaking for pioneer? As in it's for sure happening. Gonna be interesting to see how they manage access into the canyon too.

Summit of Sunshine................it doesn't drop you off where you think you want to be, unless Wally World is actually where you want to be.
    Can I get to shadows and closets quicker in the morning? Sounds like a good thing to me. What about a tow rope from the top of storm king up to mt. werner?

What about a gondola from the top of storm king up to mt. werner?
    fify

But I think the idea is people who wanna ski wally world all day can take the new gondy there and then download at the end of the day. And bragging rights for the longest gondola in the lower 48?

I'm just waiting for the Steamboat->Winter Park->Denver interconnect gondola.

Can I get to shadows and closets quicker in the morning? Sounds like a good thing to me. What about a tow rope from the top of storm king up to mt. werner?
    Heh. My buddy and I were doing that hike way back when, on a pretty good day, and who happened to shoot by us skiing behind a snomo but the one and only Warren Miller. Apparently he was heading somewhere up there to get some classic Steamboat pow shots.

My buddy and I commented how it would be nice to have a rope tow up there... although I *think* it was only about a 10 minute hike up to the weather station... IIRC?

That hike takes literally 5-7 minutes. I've often thought a tbar would be awesome for that, but then, no. Just hike it. It's a good filter for the masses.

Shadows and closets get raped by first tracks, steamboat's version of the fast pass, aka the 1%'ers, you only get leftovers. Played out so hard now....gaper trees. Look elsewhere padawan, there are MUCH better tree runs.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    When is Breck expanding to Peak 1 with a gondola from Frisco?

Two gondolas from Golden: the Ikon Xpress to WP and SA. The Epic SumEag to Keystone/Breck/Vail/BC. Both would be able to withstand 100mph winds on the Divide.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Two gondolas from Golden: the Ikon Xpress to WP and SA. The Epic SumEag to Keystone/Breck/Vail/BC. Both would be able to withstand 100mph winds on the Divide.
    Should be faster than I-70 on a weekend, at least.

<snip> Look elsewhere padawan, there are MUCH better tree runs.
    You've said too much.

Quote Originally Posted by O.C. View Post
    fify

But I think the idea is people who wanna ski wally world all day can take the new gondy there and then download at the end of the day.
    Downloading a gondola results in -500 GNAR points.
    I'm intrigued by some of the upgrades. Hopefully the base will be less of a clusterfuck with the new lift layout. If the "new" terrain is more into Fish Creek, well, that could be fun. We'll see.
    It's always been one of my favorite hills in the Rockies, and it's the only "ski town" my wife would ever move to, but damn, you get the sense Steamboat is becoming just like everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    <snip> you get the sense Steamboat is becoming just like everywhere else.
    It has been that way for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It has been that way for 30 years.
    It literally has the exact same mall structure on Main Street that Breck does. I always have to do a double take. Their gyro spot is the shit though.

Should be faster than I-70 on a weekend, at least.
    Or better yet, 2 train lines like the Glacial Express in Switzerland.