Page 1197 of 1651 FirstFirst ... 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 ... LastLast
Results 29,901 to 29,925 of 41251
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    no man I’m good

seems like you need a hug

some people don’t know the situation as it was so they just respond with what they know now and it’s ok
    I agree, it's OK. It still is people claiming BS on the internet.

I have no hard feelings for anyone in the situation. But, nip it at the bud on the falsity.

Go ski some pow. And don't make judgements if you don't know what's going on. It's like avi 20-20 qb'ing at it's worst. And that was years ago.

Simple stuff, no hard feelings. Knee jerks are usually not the best or most accurate reactions.

And I'll totally take the hug, too long. I'm notorious for my hugs, even on big guys.

❤️
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sorry I stirred up a hornet's nest.

I stopped following the details of this case, but I found Beth's "safe" comment to be strange, both in light of this case, as well as what's printed on the back of lift tickets.

You know this statement was boilerplate marketing speak, but maybe legal should have had an opportunity at a once-over.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	what-is-going-on-this-thread-whats-going-on-here-50485482.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	315516
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	what-is-going-on-this-thread-whats-going-on-here-50485482.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	315516
    People made assertions that Vail was responsible for the tragedy of that kid dying after sidestepping up and across into closed avy terrain.

I called BS

Then Makers came in with the sledgehammer of truth and shut the morons down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

So, um, warm then looks like another big storm for the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    So, um, warm then looks like another big storm for the holiday.
    Hopefully it stalls and hits Tuesday.

Great 4 days with no wind Sun-Wed at breck/loveland, very rare it lasts for that long. Riding chair 9 on Sunday with it being calm on top was surreal but does happen occasionally. Came back today though, perfect timing to smooth out the alpine like usual.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You don't know. He did. He poached that line with full knowledge. No innocence there.

I was growing weed in my windowsill and fucking at 13. That kid was skiing those lines almost 2 decades before I did in his life.

Don't assume anything. He was a fuck up. A perfect little fuck up. Nice kid, but a fuck up.

You are way out of your element. He was not a random 13 year old in a resort. That line was taught to him over a couple years of shenanigans.

Do you think us locals would bother side stepping up for a couple hundred feet into upper prima cornice to get a couple turns? Hell no. One, you could just duck the rope, two, what's the point, there are so many places to get better ones. I know personally who invented that move. It's sad all around, but Taft was a cocky kid. You can't extrapolate from anything more than that.

Stupidity, with results.
    Give it a rest. Smart or not, he was a teenager and the part of his brain that would have allowed him to effectively assess risk was not fully developed yet. I am not arguing that he didn't know it was wrong, but I bet he figured the worst thing that could go wrong was that he would lose his pass for a couple of weeks. I don't think that he considered the fact that his decision would be a fatal mistake. I guarantee that he wouldn't have gone there if his brain allowed him to think through the possibility of the outcome that ensued.

I don't think that he considered the fact that his decision would be a fatal mistake. I guarantee that he wouldn't have gone there if his brain allowed him to think through the possibility of the outcome that ensued.
    That probably describes the thought process in many avalanche incidents. Ski areas can and do change from fairly benign amusement parks to pretty serious mountain environments based on conditions. It is part of what makes them awesome. The ski areas have a hard job in that they don't want to unnecessarily scare people yet they are in charge of operating a pretty dangerous business. Talk to any pro-patrols that has been around a bit and you'll be surprised that people don't die every day.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Give it a rest. Smart or not, he was a teenager and the part of his brain that would have allowed him to effectively assess risk was not fully developed yet. I am not arguing that he didn't know it was wrong, but I bet he figured the worst thing that could go wrong was that he would lose his pass for a couple of weeks. I don't think that he considered the fact that his decision would be a fatal mistake. I guarantee that he wouldn't have gone there if his brain allowed him to think through the possibility of the outcome that ensued.
    That was my thought as well, that a teenage brain may not be capable of proper risk assessment. Even so, that doesn't mean that the ski resort was at fault, or that ski resorts (or any other place that has risk) has to cater to the risk assessment capability of a 13 year old. That's why parents have to sign release forms for kids, so that a responsible adult agrees to accept the risks on behalf of their children.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I am so sick of stupid parents excusing their child's behavior on brain development time scales. Hell, I even heard someone recently say as an excuse that her 22 year old hasn't fully developed his brain function.

Well, I graduated college before 21, and I can assure you that my brain was functioning as good as it ever was going to get. Parenting maybe? Just a rusted old thought.

And to be completely a dick, Taft probably saved at least 10 kids by his decision over the long run. I hadn't seen prolific avi awareness in the schools until afterwards. Now it's commonplace.

Just had a killer away game at Steamboat, Buff Pass yesterday and resort this morning. I kept hearing how bad it has gotten due to IKON but obviously not during the week, I skied untracked blower all morning and couldn't believe how empty the place was. Relatively mellow terrain but when the snow is that good it doesn't matter.

I am so sick of myself.

Seriously, settle down. You're gonna be OK and everything's alright!

If you ever wondered WTF people are talking about when they say "Scary Moderate" here it is for ya. It will be another weekend meadow skipping, pow surfing, XC skiing, family skiing and groomer skiing. Welcome to winter in Colorado!

Summary
    You can trigger very large, very dangerous avalanches that break near the ground. These avalanches are very difficult to predict and you will not see any warning signs of instability before this type of avalanche breaks. Multiple riders can travel on a slope before someone hits the wrong spot and the entire season's snowpack comes down. The only way to guarantee that you will not trigger one of these monster avalanches is to avoid steep north through east to south-facing slopes. You can always reduce your risk by choosing slopes less than about 30 degrees in steepness without steep overhead terrain.

^^^^

Some of the instagram stars are nailing full on slide terrain and it looks like premo pow. People going to push it after seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Some of the instagram stars are nailing full on slide terrain and it looks like premo pow. People going to push it after seeing that.

Who are the Instagram stars of the Colorado backcountry? I’m interested in following

I'm gonna guess Gary Fondl is one

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Who are the Instagram stars of the Colorado backcountry? I’m interested in following
    I had the same question. I have a few common-ass names in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Oh yeah that guy.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

#mayorofpowtown

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is Fritz Sperry - at least a Facebook star in the Colorado Backcountry Ski group.

I'm not impressed with the example he sets for impressionable people.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I
    Please drink yourself dead.

Also, the skies are blue af
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

What happened at Vail yesterday?

"According to our initial investigation, the deceased slipped through the seat of the chair lift and his ski coat got caught up in the chair. The coat ended up going up around his head and neck area putting his neck in a position that compromised his airway.”

Quote Originally Posted by doxinho View Post
    What happened at Vail yesterday?

"According to our initial investigation, the deceased slipped through the seat of the chair lift and his ski coat got caught up in the chair. The coat ended up going up around his head and neck area putting his neck in a position that compromised his airway.”
    I think is is the same situation of when the guy was hanging upside down with his pants around his ankles. That situation happened when the chair came around the lower bull-wheel with seat folded up, customer sat down and went straight through the seat frame, and dangled upside down.
    Sounds like the same thing happened again. This guy "slipped through the seat of the chair lift and his ski coat got caught up in the chair". It took a few minuted for them to reverse the lift, and to untangle him, and they attempted to perform CPR.