Page 1093 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 ... LastLast
Results 27,301 to 27,325 of 41290
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Their "open" policy is both really cool and really dumb.
    I like how they've got a new HSQ and intermediate runs and they don't even bother to update the trail map. That's rad.
    When's the Matchless tram going in???
    I happen to know a little bit about the trail map. the owners were disappointed that it was not ready for the lift opening. Basically there was a product they decided they did not want to go with that. Wolfcreek is a mom and pop operation. I have not been to many mom and pop resorts to compare. But there is a hell of a lot going at Wolfcreek for a mom and pop show.
    As for the open policy. Why would a skier complain about terrain being open? read Montana thread. If coverage is questionable ski it carefully. If you want to rip ski the groomers. Also don't ski anything south facing.
    off your knees Louie

Seriously, the open policy is the best part about Wolf Creek. The runs are short, but you can get into some REALLY hairball terrain there if you want to. It makes you actually have to learn to scout lines though, which might be hard for those accustomed to the Epikonic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    you can get into some REALLY hairball terrain there if you want to
    where?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    As for the open policy. Why would a skier complain about terrain being open? r.
    Snowboarder, pay attention.

It cuts both ways. We all know they are extremely liberal in their definition of open. It's pretty sweet when they've got 90% of their terrain open before other places get more than a few groomers open, but you don't get bonus gnar points for drilling stumps and rocks on a 20" base. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    where?
    Some stuff in Waterfall
    Most of Knife Ridge
    There's a little section on Exhibition Ridge

All of it is super short but about as steep and sketchy as we get inbounds in CO.
    Probably does not compare to PNW though, where snow actually sticks to steep stuff.

Ah, good to know. I haven't skied knife ridge yet -- the times I've skied WC, it's either been closed or viz has been too awful to consider it ... or even see it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Snowboarder, pay attention.

It cuts both ways. We all know they are extremely liberal in their definition of open. It's pretty sweet when they've got 90% of their terrain open before other places get more than a few groomers open, but you don't get bonus gnar points for drilling stumps and rocks on a 20" base. YMMV.
    You have the choice to ski it. They are willing to patrol it what is the problem. i think it is a good policy and smart on their part. Getting skier compaction early on their numerous small avie paths enables them to get their terrain open quicker when things really start to become skiable like the last two days.
    off your knees Louie

Seriously, the open policy is the best part about Wolf Creek.
    I agree. They open terrain the way some of the more liberal East Coast resorts do, where people ski trees with a 12 inch base by memorizing the lines where the dead fall was cleared in the summer. Not expecting this, I scared the crap out of myself my first time there. Got cliffed out and had to hike a bit once too. As you said, the more serious terrain is short and can often be scoped out from below. But I'd love to ski there on a storm day with someone who knows the place really well. Don't reckon I'll get down there any time soon.

Wow!

People are going on about terrain being open to early and not being able to find the gnar at Wolf Creek?

Pro-tip: read the back of your lift ticket, don't ever go to skiing in Europe and watch out for hazards in the backcountry.

Next thing you know you guys will be bitching about Loveland bootlicking the ridge!

Seriously guys, if you can find a shitstained lining on the cloud of 32" inches of fluffy new snow, maybe you should just take up knitting. That's about the least TGR thing I've heard in my tenure here. Learn to ride cautiously, don't take your new sticks out early season, and lean back. Bitching about terrain being opened too early is for soccer mom gapers.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Bitching about terrain being opened too early is for soccer mom gapers.
    BUT I SCRATCHED MY SKIS

BUT I SCRATCHED MY SKIS
    It is spelled "Skies" moran!

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    As for the open policy. Why would a skier complain about terrain being open? read Montana thread. If coverage is questionable ski it carefully. If you want to rip ski the groomers. Also don't ski anything south facing.
    exactly. i used to live in montana and after 8 years living in colorado i still find myself amazed at some of things that aren't open sometimes around here. but i live on I-70 so. well. yeah.

Just saw this. Wow! full res
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 7.19.56 PM.png
Views: 704
Size:  550.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    It is spelled "Skies" moran!
    I'm kidding, I don't actually ski anymore. I bet auvgeek skis more than me and he lives in fuckin' Baltimore.

I'm kidding, I don't actually ski anymore. I bet auvgeek skis more than me and he lives in fuckin' Baltimore.
    Practicing for married life? Good work.

Ski ON3P and you won’t have to worry about scrapes or core shots /crosspost

Can I have your sled then?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Can I have your sled then?
    Hah!

Actually North is selling his sled now that he's gone full #surferbrah
    Last edited by adrenalated; 01-03-2019 at 04:38 PM.

I'm kidding, I don't actually ski anymore.
    Why ski when you can just talk about skiing on the internet, it is so much easier!

Does XC count? I have about 15 days of that. I went to go backcountry skiing before I went to Florida and the Feds locked me out. Seriously. Now I got the time and it is high pressure as far as I can see. Tourists leave on the 6th.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANO_20190104_110921.vr.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	567.3 KB 
ID:	262906

Nice day. Need more snow

How much snow is coming in on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    How much snow is coming in on Sunday?
    just enough to provide a massive amount of hype

How's the base at Monarch shaping up? Another hyped Southern storm on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    How's the base at Monarch shaping up? Another hyped Southern storm on tap.
    My brother's patrolling there, and we skied there early last week. I don't really have a reference point, but it seems like pretty decent base. Not too many exposed stumps or deadfall in the trees. But pretty wind scoured in weird places. All the patrollers were talking about the weird wind patterns -- lots of wind moving upslope. If you have a specific question, I can ask him.

photos