Page 1523 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 ... LastLast
Results 38,051 to 38,075 of 41143
    gr8 freshies at the Boat on Turkey day
    Name:  IMG_4342 (1).jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  100.5 KB

Snow sucks so I went for a swim in thanksgiving effluent

Heading up tree cutting in Grand County for the first time. Recommendations on Elk Creek (heard this gets crowded) or another spot?

Quote Originally Posted by joeshek View Post
    Heading up tree cutting in Grand County for the first time. Recommendations on Elk Creek (heard this gets crowded) or another spot?
    Ask the USFS folks where they recommend when you buy your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Ask the USFS folks where they recommend when you buy your permit.
    Which is basically like going to the store and buying a tree. Seriously, look at the permit. Use a map. Bring snowshoes. What do you expect if you drive this silly FS route with the rest of the punters? Don't forget your PSL and keep your sweater game tight!

Reminds me of my neighbors across the street with their two brand new GOTOS 4Rs and their Pioneer Plates. They just moved here from TX and they literally don't know now to shovel show. Does your IG make you look Colorado AF?

Bring a shovel and a good saw. Read the instructions on the tag. Expect a rinky dink Charlie Brown tree. Don't top one and don't take a blue spruce. The further you walk, the better your tree. You think there are trophies growing in the ditch? 75% of the trees in this county and dead and the FS has been selling these permits for decades.

We got a tree that way up Vasquez road (a few years ago). It was definitely Charlie Brown-esque, and we were far from alone out there in the woods, 200 yards from the road. On a weekend.

It was fun, but definitely keep your expectations in check.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    W

Reminds me of my neighbors across the street with their two brand new GOTOS 4Rs and their Pioneer Plates. They just moved here from TX and they literally don't know now to shovel show. Does your IG make you look Colorado AF?
    The school drop-off line is full of these people. It's aggravating for some reason.

Re: trees. I live on one of the more popular tree access roads and there has been a steady exodus of evergreens for the past few days, which will continue for a few more weeks. That being said, my tree hunting mission this year lasted about 20 minutes door-to-door. It doesn't have to be an adventure. There are plenty of shitty lodgepoles to choose from. If you want a perfect tree, go buy it.

Cool

Which is basically like going to the store and buying a tree. Seriously, look at the permit. Use a map. Bring snowshoes. What do you expect if you drive this silly FS route with the rest of the punters? Don't forget your PSL and keep your sweater game tight!

Bring a shovel and a good saw. Read the instructions on the tag. Expect a rinky dink Charlie Brown tree. Don't top one and don't take a blue spruce. The further you walk, the better your tree. You think there are trophies growing in the ditch? 75% of the trees in this county and dead and the FS has been selling these permits for decades.

lol. Thanks...was pretty sure this was the help I'd get

We've done it plenty of times before, know the rules, but never in this zone. Taking my 70 year old parents and 6 month old kiddo, so would like to avoid a goose chase for access. Figured if someone was willing to share a tip (what FS roads are even still open, e.g.) it would help.

Guess xmas trees are up with meadow skipping pow stashes these days.

Wasn't trying to be a dick about it at all. The USFS folks around here have always been super helpful. But yeah, if ya want a natural tree, it'll probably be a Charlie Brown. Nice day for a drive with the folks though.

Bs.
    rise and shine sunshine happy monday to you

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Clark Griswald found an epic tree in Breckinridge, I’d start there

somehow they started on peak nine and ended up at the walmart in frisco
    all the acid I've done and thats never happened to me

It's been bizarre at Breck.....town was pretty damn busy this past weekend, but I was skiing onto lifts both Saturday and Sunday. Mostly Rocky Mountain Chair laps with runs into Little Johnny, Rounders and High Anxiety, which are on a 'soft opening'.....if you can get there without ducking a rope, it's fair game. Coverage is decent and the snow, soft.....patrol also has hike-to into Contest Bowl open and that snow was good as well. Not at all bad for late November....I'll take it.

Skied the Basin with the girls on turkey day and I won't be going back until Lenawee is open....it's pretty limited/lame. Unless Pali somehow spins before that.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Skied the Basin with the girls on turkey day and I won't be going back until Lenawee is open....it's pretty limited/lame. Unless Pali somehow spins before that.
    I wouldn't put it past them to open Pali just for Slalom. The wait for Lenawee sucks, but once that thing is turning, it is gonna be pretty sweet. I might start skiing that side more often. It was always a sure way to get the wife to bail on a storm day.

Looks like something coming in today. Dark clouds on the horizon. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by joeshek View Post
    We have cut a tree from Vasquez road for years. It closer than other options from Denver and easy access on the way home from Winter Park. There are several parking lots along the way, so keep driving if you can’t find a spot. Be prepared to push or pull a car out of the ditch because it gets icy and people bring cars there that shouldn’t be there.

My kids and I go mtb camping at the end of Vasquez road beyond the gate every summer. 4 miles of double track that can accommodate a Burly trailer and nothing so impressive that it attracts people. My son had great pride when he caught a trout this year and fried it with huckleberries on the campfire. It is near wilderness that is easy to enjoy with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Yeah... love the Basin but the Len situation is a pretty big blunder IMO. Disappointing to not be up there about now... but like you said Breck has been great. Contest and Horseshoe were fantastic yesterday. Pretty excited about this mini storm coming in too.

Have only had the 5 pack to copper the past couple of seasons but am glad I got the full pass this year (at a discount) given the lenawee situation. the skiing was pretty nice today with a decent amount of open terrain and more trails that have been opened intermittently. If this storm produces then tomorrow should be pretty nice up there with rope drops in some areas.

Re: Vasquez Rd. The dirties kinda ruined it by literally making piles of shit. The FS managed it by closing it. There are still places to camp beyond the closure but pay attention. The twig pigs love giving our tickets about 7am on a Saturday.

Re: What roads are open for tree cutting. When I went XC the other day, the gate was across 159 at Deadhorse. These jokers open and close gates whenever they want. I don't know if Granny and Granpy and down the with cordless angle grinder but that's an option.

You should defiantly PM Underoos and get directions to his house. No joke, he knows where all the good trees are. But if you really want a good one with minimal effort, bring a cordless sawzall and just harvest off one of the replanted areas on private.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Have only had the 5 pack to copper the past couple of seasons but am glad I got the full pass this year (at a discount) given the lenawee situation. the skiing was pretty nice today with a decent amount of open terrain and more trails that have been opened intermittently. If this storm produces then tomorrow should be pretty nice up there with rope drops in some areas.
    Breck is way better early season than Copper.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

@goldenboy There is actually quite a bit of good skiing up past the Christmas Tree Zones. Unfortunately, it is XC.

@Simple dropped the knowledge on skiing in Colorado. Basically, it snows in on the Divide, the Elks, the San Juans and Park Range. Lots of those places are really winds. Others are really crowded. Some are hard to access. Often times you need to take a busy road to get there. Usually, the terrain isn't rowdy enough for the average front ranger.

Save your fun tickets for a vacation to Jackson or BC. Keep busy biking in your free time.

Fuck this colorado weather never does what I need it to when I want it to might just tickle the rim and hit 40 degrees in breck today

Yeah well I'm gonna be standing around in ski boots but not skiing, doing training for the next three weekends. And a lot of snow in the forecast. Wah, wah, wah
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Fuck this colorado weather never does what I need it to when I want it to might just tickle the rim and hit 40 degrees in breck today
    great day for you to do your seemingly favorite past time of driving to denver and back

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Those south facing slopes should be $$$ tomorrow AM