Page 1449 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 ... LastLast
Results 36,201 to 36,225 of 41143
    Not really, especially in a ski everyday kind of way. Like 11/24-May.

Colorado has the most consistent skiing from November-June in the world.

Sorry, didn’t mean to piss in your Cheerios. But claiming they have the best management in NA, is just uninformed.

you guys need to get the word out a little better about how great your mountains are. There seem to a lot of miss guided people showing up down here. Maybe Simple can get the word out to the snowmachine crowd. Silverton is the place. Could be a shit show tomorrow with all these toy haulers if DOT can not get the lots plowed.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Sorry, didn’t mean to piss in your Cheerios. But claiming they have the best management in NA, is just uninformed.
    Stay in the RFV and keep sniffing your own farts...

Sorry, but you don’t know what the fuck your talking about. Aspen, Highland’s and Snowmass are all better than Abay.
    This guy’s right. But carry on…

Trying to compare resort management for a smallish ski area 1 hour from millions of people and a largeish resort 4 hours from the nearest metro area is ridiculous. They each face completely different challenges.

And FFS, you lose all credibility when you repeatedly call it ABay.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sorry, but you don’t know what the fuck your talking about. Aspen, Highland’s and Snowmass are all better than Abay.
    Naa. Highlands is sweet. A basin is better. Snowmass is not even close

Don’t get me wrong, I love Aspen and those mountains do rock. I have spent a lot of time at highlands and snowmass. Aspen does have the whole package, but A-Basin is a better mountain.

Colorado has the most consistent skiing from November-June in the world..
    Agreed! What ski area is open past mid-April again, I completely forget….

Oh that’s right, the body of water with land on three sides!

Fun runs yesterday with hawkgt and Jong Lafitte at Winter Park. Awesome skiers who brought me to my knees, literally! (With an embarrassing fall in some deep bumps).

Today, a bit of a sad note. Coming down on White Rabbit I was close enough to a skier that crashed badly onto a tree. I stopped and climbed back up. I carry a small first aid kit and figured it may be useful, but when I saw the extent of the injuries asked a mountain host that was coming to see what happened to radio for urgent help. Thankfully three patrollers happened to be in the area and came down and called for major assistance. Soon after the run and the lift were closed while the skier was put on a sled and a snowmobile brought the skier down to the hospital. I was asked to join them for debriefing and to fill out an incident report form.

I'm very impressed by the fast and very professional response of the Winter Park ski patrol and how caring everyone was at the base hospital.

Please stay safe when out there. Even on mellow runs things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Trying to compare resort management for a smallish ski area 1 hour from millions of people and a largeish resort 4 hours from the nearest metro area is ridiculous. They each face completely different challenges.

And FFS, you lose all credibility when you repeatedly call it ABay.
    QFT.

Aspen/HIghlands/Snowmass vs Abasin is no comparison, with those 3 being 3.5 times the area of Abasin. They might as well be in another state though. Throwing Silverton in the comparo? So does Abasin compare to Altabird or Whistler or Kicking Horse? Le Grande Montets? La Grave? Nah. What are you comparing???

I have to laugh at the spew about Abasin being so perfect compared to Epic Breck because that spew is the way to hasten the end of such access. Are you so much cooler because you think you got it figured out? Better spray to the internets! It doesn't matter if you do it right? You are just one voice, not part of the problem... like how I70 traffic works n'est ce pas?

Epic will raise prices next year from their post pandemic discount, at least 25% vs this year, maybe as much as 40%. There will be a large exodus to Abasin (which may limits pass sales) and Ikon that gets Abasin access (no pass sales limit), even if those passes rise too, and it probably will rise by 30%+ for Abasin.

The difference is Abasin will probably keep raising prices at that rate probably for the next three years until it is in the $1300-$1500 range, maybe more. It is already $700. If you think people crow now about how great Abasin is, wait until they are twice as invested.

Remember, Vail *claims* skier visits are down. Ha! Denver metro population is up 40% since 2003 while remote working and flexible schedules are up 1000%+. In 2003, $320 got you Keystone, Abasin, Breck, and 10 days at Vail/BC. But a Vail pass was $1K+. Those were the old good ole days (not to be confused with the old old good ole days). Right now is the new good ole days for Abasin, but they'll end quick enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The basin pass was only $700 if you bought it after October. I put the $49 down in the spring and paid the rest in September totaling $519. Interesting thing right now is that the midweek pass still hasn't sold out which I figured it would by now.

Colorado has the most consistent skiing from November-June in the world.
    I really hope this was meant as sarcasm...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

summit county getting a little skunked so far has me drinking coffee in bed

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I really hope this was meant as sarcasm...
    Sheds a bit of a Aspen Homer that, shall we say, lives a different lifestyle than most of us? More power to him I say, but I kinda agree with his on the Colorado Skiing thing.

I don't live here for the skiing and there are a lot of minus put the positives are a) we have a very long season b) we have the best shitty conditions of any region that I know of.

If the question was, if you could ski one ski area day in day out in Colorado I'd probably go a)Telluride b) Highlands c)CB not including Silverton in the "ski area" catagory.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Aspen/HIghlands/Snowmass vs Abasin is no comparison, with those 3 being 3.5 times the area of Abasin. They might as well be in another state though. Throwing Silverton in the comparo? So does Abasin compare to Altabird or Whistler or Kicking Horse? Le Grande Montets? La Grave? Nah. What are you comparing???

I have to laugh at the spew about Abasin being so perfect compared to Epic Breck because that spew is the way to hasten the end of such access. Are you so much cooler because you think you got it figured out? Better spray to the internets! It doesn't matter if you do it right? You are just one voice, not part of the problem... like how I70 traffic works n'est ce pas?

Epic will raise prices next year from their post pandemic discount, at least 25% vs this year, maybe as much as 40%. There will be a large exodus to Abasin (which may limits pass sales) and Ikon that gets Abasin access (no pass sales limit), even if those passes rise too, and it probably will rise by 30%+ for Abasin.

The difference is Abasin will probably keep raising prices at that rate probably for the next three years until it is in the $1300-$1500 range, maybe more. It is already $700. If you think people crow now about how great Abasin is, wait until they are twice as invested.

Remember, Vail *claims* skier visits are down. Ha! Denver metro population is up 40% since 2003 while remote working and flexible schedules are up 1000%+. In 2003, $320 got you Keystone, Abasin, Breck, and 10 days at Vail/BC. But a Vail pass was $1K+. Those were the old good ole days (not to be confused with the old old good ole days). Right now is the new good ole days for Abasin, but they'll end quick enough.
    A lot of words to prove that you just don't get it.

4D Chess is the name of the game. I'm planning on Keystone night riding, Echo Mtn and Ruby Hill for 22/23. You got to zig when the hordes want to zag.
    I like what A-Basin is serving up, and I feel it's sustainable. I'm looking forward to a reasonably similar experience in future years.
    FTR, it wouldn't be my top choice for "best in CO", but it's in the top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    The basin pass was only $700 if you bought it after October. I put the $49 down in the spring and paid the rest in September totaling $519. Interesting thing right now is that the midweek pass still hasn't sold out which I figured it would by now.
    My renewal was $479.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    My renewal was $479.
    I had a LL pass for 20/21, so didn't get that rate but hoping that's the case for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I like what A-Basin is serving up, and I feel it's sustainable. I'm looking forward to a reasonably similar experience in future years.
    It ain't the best in CO, but it IS the best ski area near my house. haha

I'm hoping to squeeze a few more years out of the place before I move somewhere far away. This season has helped for sure.

ETA: I did hear from the man himself that Abasin will be adding at least one more mountain to the pass (3 days) next season. No word on what mountain yet.

If it is Loveland, everyone will be stoked. If it is Wolf Creek, that would be so great as well. But my guess is that it will be Sunlight, Purgatory, Cooper or Powderhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Sheds a bit of a Aspen Homer that, shall we say, lives a different lifestyle than most of us? More power to him I say, but I kinda agree with his on the Colorado Skiing thing.

I don't live here for the skiing and there are a lot of minus put the positives are a) we have a very long season b) we have the best shitty conditions of any region that I know of.

If the question was, if you could ski one ski area day in day out in Colorado I'd probably go a)Telluride b) Highlands c)CB not including Silverton in the "ski area" catagory.
    After living and skiing in CB (well Gunnison cause we are the poors) for the last 4 almost 5 years, consistent is NOT the word I would use to describe the skiing. Dont get me wrong I fricking love it here and have skied my ass off, but consistent it aint. Also not the reason I live here...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

we have the best shitty conditions of any region that I know of.
    Hysterical but true.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I agree with these.

I think the "Abasin is best" or is the best managed comes from a few things. It's a small mountain, yet serves up an awful lot of good terrain for its overall size. Highlands is probably the only other place that has a similar ratio of overall terrain to expert terrain. Obviously, places like Telluride and CB have way more expert terrain total, but I'm talking about the ratio because I think that's part of what gets ABasin so much love. On top of that, they have added a ton of this terrain over the last few years, while most mountains haven't been adding much. And they have added all this new terrain without increasing parking capacity, so the on-mountain experience has gotten even better. And then by getting off Epic and only having limited Ikon days, they have made the on-mountain experience that much better.

Again, can't compare them to a huge mountain like Telluride or CB or the Aspen mountains, but those mountains also don't face some of the challenges the Basin does. Trying to be profitable while having no lodging and while being a "day area" within an 75 minute drive of 3 million people isn't easy, and balancing that profitability with the desire to overall create a good skier experience for those who ski there, is a challenge that Aspen/Telluride/CB don't face, though of course they have their own profitability and management challenges.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

^^^not only have they added a ton of terrain but what they added is mostly expert terrain, some of which puts it in the top CO ski areas for challenge. Even better is the Steep Gullies are open longer than the Upper East Wall terrain. Sure, sidecountry was lost but….

Anyway, go enjoy this storm cycle everyone!

Shitty conditions?
    Please
    Colorado moaners all the way
    Check into the ecrc thread if you want to get a grasp on shitty conditions
    Maybe even Tahoe or pnw
    Driving to Denver today so stoked gonna be the best

The most recent expansions in CO have been Beavers at A-Basin, which is blue and single black, and steep gullies which is double black. In that timeframe Breckenridge opened Peak 6 which is mostly double black, single black, and some blues down low.

Keystone will be the next "expansion" by placing a lift into their alpine bowls that have been hike to terrain (and some it hike-to-then-back). Ironically most of Keystone's acreage (3000ac!) is not currently lift served! But people don't realize that. The new lift will also make Keystone's one BCA gate nearly lift served instead of requiring a 1.5mi hike to reach. The expansion is going to be mostly blue with some single blacks, but at Keystone it is labeled all black because Keystone is Keystone where many blues are signed as blacks and there are no double-blacks because that isn't family oriented signage.

And of course Loveland is doing their "expansion" too.