Page 1188 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 ... LastLast
Results 29,676 to 29,700 of 41290
    All I have to say about that location is thin cover... but good luck to them!

They experienced that out by Mosquito Pass as well. Cool mtn. Always wondered about touring in that NW bowl.

I've been on Bluebird's mailing list; looks like they have a map up now https://bluebirdbackcountry.com/about/

I think I saw the group taking some of their photos yesterday. I think it's an interesting concept, but it looks like the only unguided terrain during this period is going to be mellow and west-facing. Good for newbies if not wind-hammered or sun-baked, but not something I'd be interested in. I'd be interested in paying $50/day for avy controlled steeps - the sort of thing we usually can't safely access in February due to avy conditions - but not meadow skipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I'd be interested in paying $50/day for avy controlled steeps - the sort of thing we usually can't safely access in February due to avy conditions - but not meadow skipping.
    Oh you mean like at a ski resort?! fuck paying $50/day to earn your turns. this could set a very costly precedent for backcountry skiing.....

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Oh you mean like at a ski resort?! fuck paying $50/day to earn your turns. this could set a very costly precedent for backcountry skiing.....
    What part of private land do you not understand?

lI'd be interested in paying $50/day for avy controlled steeps - the sort of thing we usually can't safely access in February due to avy conditions - but not meadow skipping.
    I said the same thing to a buddy this morning when he was describing this concept. That terrain is super mellow and will likely be very thin. I’d pay decent money for a big controlled area with a variety of terrain, but not this.

I guess this is just a continued test of the concept? Because I just don’t see this working out in its current iteration. Otherwise people will only go once or twice to get comfortable on their touring gear in a controlled environment - and there’s no way they can be successful in that model. They’d also need to move it about an hour closer to Denver...
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I said the same thing to a buddy this morning when he was describing this concept. That terrain is super mellow and will likely be very thin. I’d pay decent money for a big controlled area with a variety of terrain, but not this.

I guess this is just a continued test of the concept? Because I just don’t see this working out in its current iteration. Otherwise people will only go once or twice to get comfortable on their touring gear in a controlled environment - and there’s no way they can be successful in that model. They’d also need to move it about an hour closer to Denver...
    They got 20 grand in a day on the kickstarter, so at least early interest is enthusiastic. I think the "low/mid market" of the self-powered skier fits perfectly into their model. If they're getting a sweetheart deal from the landlord and are somewhat independently wealthy enough to weather the initial upfront costs, insurance, shitty weather and terrain, etc. it might just make it a handful of years.

I do support the effort - if it keeps people who shouldn't be in other terrain out of that terrain, it's a win.

If backcountry skiing was as popular as it is now back when Berthoud went tits up, this would have been perfect there.

I wish them luck...I think. I'm not a big fan of for profit business asking for volunteers and donations but that's me. Whitley Peak is not in a snowy zone, close but K Town only gets 68" a year. There are a couple restaurants I like in Kremmling but it might not be the scene that there target user group is used to. Despite the changes to West Grand in the last couple of decades, make no doubt about it. Walk into the Quarter Circle on a Friday night with your yoga pants, fashion puffy and trucker hat and the record will skip.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I mean, sure? I'd pay money for avalanche control on something like the East Wall, even if I have to do all of the work to get to the top.

I'm also not sure what precedent you're worried about. Their lease is on private property.

^^^x3 or whatever. Maybe $50/day if they mitigated everything above brainard lake in indian peaks? Or mount Evans area?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My buddy has been mitigating up on Loveland Pass every day he gets out. It still slid big after one solid night of wind. Mitigation is a myth. This bluebird thing is appealing to peeps because it is sub 30 degree spots that arent over crowded and in guide books.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    If backcountry skiing was as popular as it is now back when Berthoud went tits up, this would have been perfect there.
    I’ve always thought that. Great amounts of snow, simple skinning (in the old resort).

I've been on Bluebird's mailing list; looks like they have a map up now https://bluebirdbackcountry.com/about/

I think I saw the group taking some of their photos yesterday. I think it's an interesting concept, but it looks like the only unguided terrain during this period is going to be mellow and west-facing. Good for newbies if not wind-hammered or sun-baked, but not something I'd be interested in. I'd be interested in paying $50/day for avy controlled steeps - the sort of thing we usually can't safely access in February due to avy conditions - but not meadow skipping.
    I think they did a great job of picking decent terrain on private land close to a major road. I wish them luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Hunted this area a lot as as a kid ... back when it was all the Grand River Ranch. Beautiful country. Agree about the lack of snow.
    Last edited by Smoova; 01-28-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I wish them luck...I think. I'm not a big fan of for profit business asking for volunteers and donations but that's me. Whitley Peak is not in a snowy zone, close but K Town only gets 68" a year. There are a couple restaurants I like in Kremmling but it might not be the scene that there target user group is used to. Despite the changes to West Grand in the last couple of decades, make no doubt about it. Walk into the Quarter Circle on a Friday night with your yoga pants, fashion puffy and trucker hat and the record will skip.
    Heh - very true. A picture of me at 14 with my first (legal) bull was under the glass on the bar at the Quarter Circle for quite a while. Need to stop by sometime to see if it's still there. Good memories. Thanks for stirring them up Foggy.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    My buddy has been mitigating up on Loveland Pass every day he gets out. It still slid big after one solid night of wind. Mitigation is a myth. This bluebird thing is appealing to peeps because it is sub 30 degree spots that arent over crowded and in guide books.
    My Google feed had a link to an article from the Durango Herald.

The leading photo showed what looked like a 10-12" base.

68" snowfall/year, huh?

Maybe their sustainable income model is predicated on performing base and edge work ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Heh - very true. A picture of me at 14 with my first (legal) bull was under the glass on the bar at the Quarter Circle for quite a while. Need to stop by sometime to see if it's still there. Good memories. Thanks for stirring them up Foggy.
    It is actually not called the Quarter Circle anymore and it has been remodeled. It is called the Grand Old West. The food is good but it ain't the same. Times are changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    I thought it closed. Did someone else take the reigns?

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/busin...o-close-jan-8/

Found it. It's been awhile.

It is actually not called the Quarter Circle anymore and it has been remodeled. It is called the Grand Old West. The food is good but it ain't the same. Times are changing.
    Well, shit ...

I'd like to know what happened to the bar, photos and memorabilia. They have to be somewhere. The original owners, the Hills, are ranching family. The bar was in a defunct pool hall way back when. The we digress, this should be a in the Hwy 40 thread.

I looked at the noaa snow depths for end of January and end of March for the last few years and the average depth is no more than 20-30” higher on the mountain and 0-20” at the bottom. Kinda thin for consistent backcountry.

I’ve always looked at that mt on the drive to and back from Steamboat.

Could be super cool when they have depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I looked at the noaa snow depths for end of January and end of March for the last few years and the average depth is no more than 20-30” higher on the mountain and 0-20” at the bottom. Kinda thin for consistent backcountry.

I’ve always looked at that mt on the drive to and back from Steamboat.

Could be super cool when they have depth.

Which Snotel? They some ski industry industry presence fo sho. I'm sure they are on top of whatever you call it when you search the internet daily for relevlant babble. I bet they are reading this right now and are none to happy about the real talk.

Which Snotel? They some ski industry industry presence fo sho. I'm sure they are on top of whatever you call it when you search the internet daily for relevlant babble. I bet they are reading this right now and are none to happy about the real talk.
    Not a specific site. NOAA’s snow analysis tool

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

No dogs allowed. The real deal breaker. Can you camp in the parking lot in your sprinter?